Would you sign a petition to eliminate civil marriage licenses?

Would you sign a petition to eliminate civil marriage licenses altogether?

• Total voters
Neither do all single americans. I say take that special exeption from the married or give the special exemption to all taxpayers (no longer making it special ;))

When you get to the tax code there are hundreds of categories where there is some favored or dysfavored tax status.
That isn't discrimination.

I think it is. All americans should have the same tax burden in my opinion, like 20% or whatever number it needs to be.

That means the dude making a $1,000,000,000 a year pays $200,000,000 in taxes while the dude making $10,000/year pays $2,000 in taxes.

I am ok with a tax credit that is available to everyone like we have now, say make it $5,000. If we do a tax credit of $5000, using my numbers, those making 25,000/year and under would pay no taxes.

I can't really argue with that one.

In ordet to examine evidence there has to be an agreed on definition of marriage to see whether the facts meet that definition or not.
If she claims that a sexual act constitutes marriage, how do we know she is wrong? If he claims that giving her a piece of costume jewelry constitutes marriage, how do we decide whether he did or not?
(These two acts are not random, btw. Both are legal ways to contract a marriage under Jewish law).

I understand what your getting at and I do have a relatively simple solution that comes to mind.

If 2 individuals decide they are married then they have to make a public declaration of said marriage together. Say by both taking out individual ads in a newspaper to say they are married.

This is a fun discussion, thanks for challenging me and providing me with your thoughts and opinions so far :)

So if I take out an ad saying I am married to Paris Hilton, and take one out in her name, does that mean I am entitled to half her estate? Kewl.
That of course imposes a cost on people, similar to a marriage license. And people can do it for scam, for jokes, for all kinds of things.
Again, it ultimately renders marriage a joke.

Yes, but you also have to take half of her sexually transmitted diseases :eusa_whistle:

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.

--Spock in 'Amok Time'

I understand what your getting at and I do have a relatively simple solution that comes to mind.

If 2 individuals decide they are married then they have to make a public declaration of said marriage together. Say by both taking out individual ads in a newspaper to say they are married.

This is a fun discussion, thanks for challenging me and providing me with your thoughts and opinions so far :)

So if I take out an ad saying I am married to Paris Hilton, and take one out in her name, does that mean I am entitled to half her estate? Kewl.
That of course imposes a cost on people, similar to a marriage license. And people can do it for scam, for jokes, for all kinds of things.
Again, it ultimately renders marriage a joke.

Yes, but you also have to take half of her sexually transmitted diseases :eusa_whistle:
If I can pick the curable ones it's OK.

Of course I would. Anyone who cares about freedom and civil rights would sign such a petition. It would allow individuals and institutions (religious or not) to determine what marriage is. If you are a Catholic (like me) you would get married in the Church, and treat it as you always would have. If you are an atheist, you would simply enter into the contract without any religious institution involved.

Benefits of a marriage license can be conferred under private marriage agreements instead.

Here is an excellent article on the marriage issue:
Don't Let Government Define Marriage (Or Optimal Child-Rearing Environments) - Gardner Goldsmith - Mises Daily

"A state-sanctioned marriage is a government-proffered benefit, granting unique government treatment by law, and forcing certain actions by private industry under the law. It grants the sole license of conducting legal marriages to a select few, and excludes others from operating freely to conduct legal marriages. These facts alone stand in sufficient contravention to the concept of individual liberty to warrant opposition to state-licensed marriage. George and Martha Washington never had a marriage license, and most Americans didn't need them until the mid-1800s. It is likely they would be appalled by the degree to which we have gotten the government involved in a sacred religious ceremony."

Forum List

Back