Would you buy this cookbook?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011

Or would you buy a cookbook from this woman?

But I don't fry the corksucking mudder fuckin' shiiiiat....oh lick my crack, I just dropped it on da floor...

Thug kitchen has been around a long time they started out on tumblr :)

tumblr_mjl3p5VkRK1r4qrdyo5_1280.jpg

This is Thug Kitchen:
Thug Kitchen

The blog has been posting recipes since 2012.

This is a response to the Thug Kitchen cookbook:
Personally, I knew it was not a person of color from the moment I read the first meme. Why? Because no black person could get away with this! If it were a black author, it would be a self-published book with bad photos and an intro from Styles P, relegated to #20009994487 on Amazon.

I was, however, surprised by the reactions to the author reveal on my Facebook feed; they ranged from "boycott this cultural appropriation!" to "recipes in blackface" to "congratu-fucking-lations to them for riding the post-racial American wave." But the question is: Is it okay? I had to think about it, as I am the last to dwell on my blackness. I leave that to the cops. Seriously, though, what—if any—ownership do I have to the way my parents and uncles talked, or how rappers of my generation rap as they dominate pop culture? I took the L on Iggy The Aussie-southern American accented rapper. But this is my domain: vegan food!

After some time to think about it, I guess it's like everything else we see today when it comes to race: There is zero national dialogue in any historical context taught. So, we rely on movies and fetishized viewpoints of race in America. All the while, black culture is dominate in pop culture, meaning everyone sees themselves in it, so we lose ownership of the narrative of what is "ours." So it's kind of okay … The flip side is that the only reason you can tell black jokes or sample the vernacular of the underprivileged is because of institutionalized racism. If we were all equal and nobody saw color, there would be no irony. Get it, hipster? No irony = no funny. So it's also not okay, right? Or did I just expose another hole in the post-racial thang? Wow, I guess I am a little upset about this fraction of the bigger picture, but also torn. It is a vegan book, so technically we're on the same team.
A Rant About Thug Kitchen BlogHer

This is Auntie Fee. She has appeared with Jimmy Kimmel and Steve Harvey. She has her own channel on Youtube and teaches people with limited incomes how to cook.

And this is her response to the Thug Kitchen cookbook.

When Auntie Fee started making these videos people came unglued because of the language. The Thug Kitchen cookbook written by two white people did not encounter that backlash.

(And all I was really looking for was a damn cookbook and this is what I got).

Forum List

Back