Would Kerry Buy Poor People Guns??

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
www.townhall.com/columnists/terencejeffrey/printtj20041013.shtml

Sarah Degenhart's question was simple, straightfoward and had absolutely nothing to do with Sen. John kerry's long-ago service as an altar boy.

"Senator kerry," she asked in the town hall debate, "suppose you are speaking with a voter who bleieved abortion is murder and the voter asked for reassurance that his or her tax dollars would not go to support abortion, what would you say to that person?."
Kerry replied, "I'm a Catholic, raised a Catholic. I was an altar boy. Religion has been a huge part of my life. It helped me through a war, leads me today. But I can't take what is an article of faith for me and legislate it for someone who doesn't share that article of faith, whether they be agnostic, atheist, Jew, Protestant, whatever. I can't do that."

Eventually, kerry said: "But you have to afford people their constitutional rights. and that means...making certain that you don't deny a poor person the right to be able to have whatever the constitution affords them if they can't afford it otherwise."

His logic seems to be: 1) whether you like or not abortion is a constitutional right, 2) we need to make "certain that you don't deny a poor person the right to be able to have whatever the constitution affords them if they can't afford it otherwise, "therefore 3) we must use tax dollars to buy abortions for people.

Grant Kerry, too his false premise (presumeably based on the atrocious Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade) that abortion really is a "constitutional right." Would Kerry consistently apply the same logic to taxpayer funding of other constitutional rights-- including those which unlike the "right" to abortion, are expressly guaranteed in the Bill of Rights? Fat Chance.

The second Amendment guarantees "the right of the people to keep and bear arms. "Thus strict application of the Kerry Doctrine--taxpayers must subsidize poor people in doing "whatever the constitution affords them if they can't afford it otherwise" --would mean the government must buy poor people guns.

Bonnie said:

Sarah Degenhart's question was simple, straightfoward and had absolutely nothing to do with Sen. John kerry's long-ago service as an altar boy.

"Senator kerry," she asked in the town hall debate, "suppose you are speaking with a voter who bleieved abortion is murder and the voter asked for reassurance that his or her tax dollars would not go to support abortion, what would you say to that person?."
Kerry replied, "I'm a Catholic, raised a Catholic. I was an altar boy. Religion has been a huge part of my life. It helped me through a war, leads me today. But I can't take what is an article of faith for me and legislate it for someone who doesn't share that article of faith, whether they be agnostic, atheist, Jew, Protestant, whatever. I can't do that."

Eventually, kerry said: "But you have to afford people their constitutional rights. and that means...making certain that you don't deny a poor person the right to be able to have whatever the constitution affords them if they can't afford it otherwise."

His logic seems to be: 1) whether you like or not abortion is a constitutional right, 2) we need to make "certain that you don't deny a poor person the right to be able to have whatever the constitution affords them if they can't afford it otherwise, "therefore 3) we must use tax dollars to buy abortions for people.

Grant Kerry, too his false premise (presumeably based on the atrocious Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade) that abortion really is a "constitutional right." Would Kerry consistently apply the same logic to taxpayer funding of other constitutional rights-- including those which unlike the "right" to abortion, are expressly guaranteed in the Bill of Rights? Fat Chance.

The second Amendment guarantees "the right of the people to keep and bear arms. "Thus strict application of the Kerry Doctrine--taxpayers must subsidize poor people in doing "whatever the constitution affords them if they can't afford it otherwise" --would mean the government must buy poor people guns.

Very nice observation :)

Make mine an Mk 19 grenade launcher. My eyesight aint so good any more and I need something that doesn't require precision shooting. Of course, for hand carry I'll take a .12 guage with magnum 3", 00 buckshot alternating with deer slugs.

dilloduck said:
Cmon Bonnie--if they're free, get something with some stopping power!!!

What would you suggest Dillo? It has to fit in my purse or maybe a nice little ankle holster.

CSM said:
I've got mine too, but hey, if he's buying.....
Good point.....but being a gov. give away, there will be a low $$ limit on it per individual...you know how it goes..We'll give you this, but only this much. And Thanks for your vote.

Bonnie said:
What would you suggest Dillo? It has to fit in my purse or maybe a nice little ankle holster.

here ya go!

3786868.jpg

A new twist on the idea of concealable weapons, the credit card-sized shotgun, is shown at Koscielski's Guns and Ammo, the only gun shop in Minneapolis. It's a two-shot weapon machined from a block of metal the height and width of a standard credit card, and about a half-inch thick. Each barrel fires seven standard steel BBs. It will retail for $100. Mark Koscielski, owner of Koscielski's Guns and Ammo, and Patrick Teel, who makes the guns in suburban Blaine, gave The Associated Press a preview Tuesday night ahead of a news conference scheduled for Wednesday. They said the guns are meant to be used only for close-range self-defense and wouldn't be effective as offensive weapons.

Bonnie said:

I disagree with you that his premise about the constitutionality of abortion is false. The Supreme Court's job is to determine what is, and what isn't, constitutional. They have said, unless there is a provision to exempt when the live of the mother is in danger, any law outlawing abortion is unconstitutional.

You may think otherwise but that is the law of the land as of right now. It may change, it may not but when Kerry made his remarks during the debate, abortion is protected by the Constitution.

As to the part about funding what is deemed a Constitutional right, I'm undecided. Most things protected by the Constitution do not require wealth, i.e. speech, religion, assembly, due process, etc.

I'm not quite sure where I stand on this issue but I do feel that a person's ability to exercise Constitutional rights should never depend upon wealth.

I'd have to lean that Kerry was wrong labeling it a constitutional right. More along the lines of a right that cannot be taken away because of the protection of the Constitution. It is a negative right in my opinion rather than a positive one.

MJDuncan1982 said:
I disagree with you that his premise about the constitutionality of abortion is false. The Supreme Court's job is to determine what is, and what isn't, constitutional. They have said, unless there is a provision to exempt when the live of the mother is in danger, any law outlawing abortion is unconstitutional.

You may think otherwise but that is the law of the land as of right now. It may change, it may not but when Kerry made his remarks during the debate, abortion is protected by the Constitution.

As to the part about funding what is deemed a Constitutional right, I'm undecided. Most things protected by the Constitution do not require wealth, i.e. speech, religion, assembly, due process, etc.

I'm not quite sure where I stand on this issue but I do feel that a person's ability to exercise Constitutional rights should never depend upon wealth.

I'd have to lean that Kerry was wrong labeling it a constitutional right. More along the lines of a right that cannot be taken away because of the protection of the Constitution. It is a negative right in my opinion rather than a positive one.

What about the consistency of Kerry in the area of providing all consitutional guarantees whether people can afford it or not? Really whats the litmus test for that.

I got news for ya, these days, "due process" takes money; just ask our pal Edwards. Freedom of speech costs bucks if you want to be heard on a large scale (unless you are already a celebrity ala Hollywood).

Bonnie said:
What about the consistency of Kerry in the area of providing all consitutional guarantees whether people can afford it or not? Really whats the litmus test for that.

Well I think I do agree that we should provide what the Constitution guarantees. What would be the point of the Constitution if we didn't?

I'm not either way on this issue because it is somewhat new in the discussion so I couldn't even begin to know what the litmus test was.

And exercise of free speech doesn't require money. Yes on a grand scale it does but the constitution does not provide protection of speech in such a specific way. Same with due process. That is why we have court appointed attorneys. They may not be the best but they guarantee due process. On a larger or better scale you do need money just as with speech.

And I think the S.Ct. often discusses whether or not to amend the way the court appointed lawyers system works because some see it, actually, as unconstitutionally denying due process.

MJDuncan1982 said:
Well I think I do agree that we should provide what the Constitution guarantees. What would be the point of the Constitution if we didn't?

I'm not either way on this issue because it is somewhat new in the discussion so I couldn't even begin to know what the litmus test was.

And exercise of free speech doesn't require money. Yes on a grand scale it does but the constitution does not provide protection of speech in such a specific way. Same with due process. That is why we have court appointed attorneys. They may not be the best but they guarantee due process. On a larger or better scale you do need money just as with speech.

And I think the S.Ct. often discusses whether or not to amend the way the court appointed lawyers system works because some see it, actually, as unconstitutionally denying due process.

I guess my point is that if you want effective due process you end up paying for it and if you want your speech to be heard you end up paying for it.

Forum List

Back