"Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?

BigReb -

There are two factors worth considering here -

Firstly, that someone owning 8 guns is probably no more likely to kill someone than a person who owns 4 guns - so people basically stockpiling weapons won't push the homicide rate up.

What do you base that on? Do you have any evidence to back up such an idiotic claim? Is a person who owns more than 8 knives more likely to kill someone than a person who owns 1? Why the fuck do you think guns kill people?

We know that the % of American households containing guns has fallen over the past 20 years - THAT is why your homicide rate has fallen.

We do? How do you know what I, or anyone else, knows? The mere fact that you repeat something that is not true multiple times does not mean that other people know it.

The fact that households that do containguns now contain more guns is probably not a big factor.

Secondly, homicide rates don't rise and fall on a weekly basis depending on changes in gun control legislation. They tend to be gradual, incremental shifts.

And every single study shows that they have been decreasing over time, even as the number of guns owned goes up. Yet you keep telling me that more guns means more deaths.

Then you accuse me of not having any facts when I point this out.

When the UK introduced gun control, the homicide rate briefly spiked before falling to such an extent that they now have less homicides than at any point since 1983. So we need to look at longer periods of time than this year vs last year.

The UK enacted gun control in 1997. That means that murders were going down before gun control existed, and continued the trend afterwards. That tends to destroy your rpemise that gun control makes a difference, especially when we consider the fact that violent crimes in the UK have spiked since gun control was implemented, and have not gone down since.

86f04f29bdeacb1a0525818d2b3a0fc1.png

Feel free to post your chart about gun homicides again, we know it is all you have.

In 2011 fists and feet killed twice as many people as did rifles.

Really?

Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) 745

In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicide deaths, and 11,078 firearm-related homicide deaths in the United States.

Who give a shit about suicides? I sure as hell don't, the idiots that offed themselves didn't give a damn about their life fuck'em let'em be worm food.

In 2011 fists and feet killed twice as many people as did rifles.

Really?

In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicide deaths, and 11,078 firearm-related homicide deaths in the United States.

Who give a shit about suicides? I sure as hell don't, the idiots that offed themselves didn't give a damn about their life fuck'em let'em be worm food.

That's a shit-poor attitude. Don't become a douche just because Miss Saigon is annoying.

Really?

That's a shit-poor attitude. Don't become a douche just because Miss Saigon is annoying.

It's the truth they didn't care, give me one good reason why I should support gun control because of some idiot that offed themselves?

It's the truth they didn't care, give me one good reason why I should support gun control because of some idiot that offed themselves?

I didn't say anything about gun control, I said don't become a douche.

Because a gun is quicker than any other method of killing yourself, because even if you jump off a 5 story building (which is the recommended height of dying, because you CAN live from a 3 or 4 story fall), it takes a second or two.

Blowing your brains out with a 9mm or any other weapon? Less than a half second (unless of course, you chicken out at the last moment and only wound yourself).

Besides.......................climbing up the stairs to throw yourself off a building, or slashing your wrists and taking a warm shower, or even ingesting poison takes some time to work, and you can possibly be saved.

Guns make it quick.

Because a gun is quicker than any other method of killing yourself, because even if you jump off a 5 story building (which is the recommended height of dying, because you CAN live from a 3 or 4 story fall), it takes a second or two.

Blowing your brains out with a 9mm or any other weapon? Less than a half second (unless of course, you chicken out at the last moment and only wound yourself).

Besides.......................climbing up the stairs to throw yourself off a building, or slashing your wrists and taking a warm shower, or even ingesting poison takes some time to work, and you can possibly be saved.

Guns make it quick.
so a gun makes it quicker, still doesn't explain why I should give a fuck about someone who kills themselves more fucking power to them it's their choice, it's their right and their life. I just don't give a damn about them.

Guns make it quick.

So? Japan proves that doesn't mean more successful suicides. Their suicide rate is so high that their combined murder/suicide rate is equal to that of the US, yet they manage to do that with NO civilian owned firearms. In addition, look at the high suicide rate in many other countries with no guns, like Sweden for example.

The presence of firearms in a society has nothing to do with the suicide rate.

so a gun makes it quicker, still doesn't explain why I should give a fuck about someone who kills themselves more fucking power to them it's their choice, it's their right and their life. I just don't give a damn about them.

Ah, what did I tell you? Try to learn.

Guns make it quick.

So? Japan proves that doesn't mean more successful suicides. Their suicide rate is so high that their combined murder/suicide rate is equal to that of the US, yet they manage to do that with NO civilian owned firearms.

Not "NO civilian owned firearms," just few.

According to CNN, "Japan is one of the world's hardest places to legally buy a gun"...but whatever. Clearly, the Japanese are not offing themselves in such high numbers with firearms, which was my point.

Guns make it quick.

Did you know that one of the things police find at the scene of suicides is evidence of multiple gun shots?

Why don't you learn?
By shutting the fuck up when told to do so?

Why don't you learn?

You may think you're too old to learn, but it doesn't have to be true. Give it a try. There is still time to be a real human being.

Guns make it quick.

Did you know that one of the things police find at the scene of suicides is evidence of multiple gun shots?

And dead people. Almost every time.

Why don't you learn?

You may think you're too old to learn, but it doesn't have to be true. Give it a try. There is still time to be a real human being.

You have learned anything have you? It's not my job to care and keep them from killing themselves, I just don't give a fuck enough to allow my rights to be infringe on. FUCK'EM.

Forum List

Back