• Reagan

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Clinton

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Bush, Jr.

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am amazed the criticism that Carter takes when he is the only president who didn't use his time in office to become rich like his predicessors and those who followed.

He is apparently one of the few truly moral persons who held that office.

I am amazed the criticism that Carter takes when he is the only president who didn't use his time in office to become rich like his predicessors and those who followed.

he was also a lousy president. i admire many things about the man, but he wasn't up to the job.

he was also a lousy president. i admire many things about the man, but he wasn't up to the job.

Could not have said it better

bravo :clap2:

Just to keep it simple, let's go one at a time.

Oil imports were reduced by 50 % from 1977 to 1981.

Considering that this was a major goal of his administration, and no one has accomplished anything near that since, is it allright to credit the man with this ? Is that no big deal ?

It used to be, for me, Carter hands down. But the Bush stench is great. I have to go with Bush, because I am living through it!

Just to keep it simple, let's go one at a time.

Oil imports were reduced by 50 % from 1977 to 1981.

Considering that this was a major goal of his administration, and no one has accomplished anything near that since, is it allright to credit the man with this ? Is that no big deal ?

And reasons behind this were?? C'mon now.. I know you can do this... it was not because of Carter reducing our need for it.. .it was because...______________

Let's see what you know about oil production numbers, pricing, actual history (about our situation and OPEC, increased domestic drilling because of Nixonian policy during his term, for example), etc

Last edited:
Demand fell and the Alaska pipe came on line. Iran went kaput with production and OPEC production fell over all. The result was a surplus and cuts in production.

All that doesn't change the fact that Carter was the man who told the nation we must reduce our dependance on foreign oil. Same thing we're being told now, 30 years later.

Demand fell and the Alaska pipe came on line. Iran went kaput with production and OPEC production fell over all. The result was a surplus and cuts in production.

All that doesn't change the fact that Carter was the man who told the nation we must reduce our dependance on foreign oil. Same thing we're being told now, 30 years later.

Any fucking moron could tell that dependence of foreign oil was not a positive thing... but with all the talk, Carter actually did WORSE in terms of current term actions of energy need.. He was bound and determined to push towards alternatives, yet knew that by a technological standpoint it was not feasible whatsoever..

he is too easily credited with a drop in foreign oil imports, without taking into consideration the overall situation at the time...

The bozo failed in every aspect of leadership during his term as prez.. and whether he was a nice guy or had good intentions at heart, does not detract from that.. It's like pipe dreaming, while the castle falls down around you

why is jfk never on this list......

but worst i lived through....carter......

biggest bonehead manuver.....nixion and clinton getting caught......

We only get 10 choices and I didn't think anyone would pick Kennedy as the worst in the last 100.

he is not even close to the worst but he is an interesting discussion ..... but he always ends up off limits.....

Well, he didn't live long enough to suck as much as he would have. And, of course, he gets the sympathy waiver because he was assassinated. No one likes to speak ill of the dead, especially under those circumstances.

Well, he didn't live long enough to suck as much as he would have. And, of course, he gets the sympathy waiver because he was assassinated. No one likes to speak ill of the dead, especially under those circumstances.

He doesn't get a "sympathy waiver" for anything. Any informed person is aware of the fact that he was responsible for leading a state terrorist campaign against Cuba.

I am curious as to why people think that FDR was a bad president. He was certainly popular in his time. Carter I can easily understand, Clinton I can understand, but why FDR? I can understand Johnson as a bad president, maybe not worst all time, but bad.

For me it would break down like this: worst liberal would be Carter

worst conservative would either be Hoover or Bush

Because popularity at the time is not how you determine whether or not someone was a good President, particularly if you're going ask from the perspective of "in the last 100 years". At that point, you have to look at what they did and its long-term effects, not whether or not the masses managed to be convinced it was a good idea at the time. FDR sucked massively from a historical standpoint and did massive damage to the nation, as did LBJ and Carter.

WASHINGTON - Talk about a civics lesson: A high-school senior has raised questions about political bias in a popular textbook on U.S. government, and legal scholars and top scientists say the teen's criticism is well-founded.

They say "American Government" by conservatives James Wilson and John Dilulio presents a skewed view of topics from global warming to separation of church and state. The publisher now says it will review the book, as will the College Board, which oversees college-level Advanced Placement courses used in high schools.

The practice of self censorship is increasingly apparent here in Texas, where battles over textbook content are epic. For years, publishers have been held to the fire by conservatives who could make or break a textbook. But now, critics say, publishers are allowing conservative groups likely to raise the biggest fusstodiscuss content before the books are made available for public review.

"The publishers know the religious right will go after a handful of books every year and nobody wants it to be their book," says Samantha Smoot, executive director of the Austin-based Texas Freedom Network, a watchdog group that monitors the religious right. "Texas has really become a testing ground, when in comes to textbooks, for what the far right is able to get away with."

For more than 40 years, Mrs. Gabler and her husband, Mel Gabler, pored over textbook publishers' offerings with a zeal and thoroughness that public school teachers could only envy.

Sphinx-like in their dedication and ferocity, they guarded the schoolhouse door against factual errors and what they perceived as left-wing bias. Usually one and the same in their view, the

Damn liberal media. I bet they are the ones who for the last 50+ years have been tryng to make "liberal" a dirty word.:lol:
No Ray, the liberals have done that all by themselves. Mainly by trying to rewrite the constitution. Like when Gore said that the constitution was a "living document"???
As for Carter, he nearly put this country into a depression. Thank God, he was a 1 term president. I keep bringing up the unemployment, double digit inflation, and the 19% home mortgages. I don't care what he did on foreign policy, when our country was going to hell. I did notice that FDR wasn't in the poll list...just a little curious on why not? I did notice that there are a lot of Bush haters in the polling. To each his own, but he doesn't come near the worst president in the last 100 years. We were a safer nation under him, we had low inflation, and unemployment remained low until the last 2 years, by the way, we had a democratic Senate, and Congress at the time. But it does help ease the frustrations with him. I get it.

Last edited:
This sort of implies that one man (the President) is the one solely responsible, or in charge... when it seems an administration is a collection of interests, powers and people. One of whom happens to be the public face.

The President of the United States is a lot more than a "public face". He's not just a figurehead, or he's not supposed to be. An administration may be a collection of people and interests, but they all filter through that one guy at the top.

And if we were voting for him to be deacon of the church, that would matter. Unfortunately, being a really good guy doesn't make one a really good President.

Any fucking moron could tell that dependence of foreign oil was not a positive thing... but with all the talk, Carter actually did WORSE in terms of current term actions of energy need.. He was bound and determined to push towards alternatives, yet knew that by a technological standpoint it was not feasible whatsoever..

he is too easily credited with a drop in foreign oil imports, without taking into consideration the overall situation at the time...

The bozo failed in every aspect of leadership during his term as prez.. and whether he was a nice guy or had good intentions at heart, does not detract from that.. It's like pipe dreaming, while the castle falls down around you

Well Jesus Christ man, if something isn't currently feasible from a technological standpoint, lets just give up.

Here's what W. had to say in 2005:

"This is a problem that's been a long time in coming. We haven't had an energy policy in this country."

That's exactly what I've been saying to the American people -- 10 years ago if we'd had an energy strategy, we would be able to diversify away from foreign dependence. And -- but we haven't done that. And now we find ourselves in the fix we're in."

Ahem....George, you might want to read this: American Experience | Jimmy Carter | Primary Sources

All this pissing and moaning about energy and foreign oil dependence. The guy had a plan 30 years ago. Now here we are 30 years later with damn near every politician out there presenting the same damned plan and no one with the nuts to give the man any credit. He wasn't the best president ever but the most honest in my lifetime and the best vision for putting the country on track for the long run. I know, I know, you want it now. Good luck.

Difficult to say, but I voted for Reagan. The man's domestic policies were an orgy of neoliberal expansion.

Well, just to be cruel, I'm gonna advance a direct and unabiguous challenge to you to DEFINE: "Neo-liberal Policies" and to SPECIFY WHAT "REAGAN" Initiated policies you 'feel' falls under this absurdity.

Now understand I fully expect you to be wholly unable to support this and that is the reason for the challenge...

Now that doesn't mean that I don't expect you to try... only that like your contest of the assertion of President Hussein's Marxism, that you'll AGAIN end up proving yourself to be dead wrong and a fool in general.

Last edited:
Well, just to be cruel, I'm gonna advance a direct and unabiguous challenge to you to DEFINE: "Neo-liberal Policies and to SPECIFY WHAT "REAGAN" Initiated policies you 'feel' falls under this absurdity.

Now understand I fully expect you to be wholly unable to support this and that is the reason for the challenge...

Now that doesn't mean that I don't expect you to try... only that like your contest of the assertion of President Hussein's Marxism, that you'll AGAIN end up proving yourself to be dead wrong and a fool in general.

Is that a joke, idiot? Your flagrant stupidity in regards to Obama's "Marxism" was so ridiculously pathetic...you didn't even know what crisis theory or efficiency wages were...you knew nothing of Marxian political economy.

There were significant declines in annual average growth rates of GDP per capita during the neoliberal era of the eighties and the early-to-mid 90's...not that you'd have any familiarity with relevant economic topics.

There is a lot of lack of perspective here.

Bush II is a douchebag, but not even close to worst.

FDR wears the mantle because his imperial highness earned it.

He was the ONLY man to defy the example of George Washington and serve more then two terms.

He treated the Constitution like it was his toilet paper, to the point of trying to stack the supreme court with his apointess by simply increasing the number of justices (this was thankfully prevented).

He treated neutrality laws as obsticles rather then things to be followed.

He placed AMERICAN CITIZENS in concentration camps, even getting the supreme court to go along with it (show us where Bush the dickwad ever imprisoned a group of AMERICANS based on their race, that fucktard FDR did this).

He manipulated the United States into a confrontation with Japan over a place that was not in our strategic interests (China, a place the USA never fought to keep British, French, germans or Russians out of).

He handed the Soviets all the land they stole in their pact with hitler, as well as the bulk of eastern and middle europe, and set the tome for the cold war....

And I'm just scratching the surface here, I could go on and on, and you thought Bush was bad compared to this??

I didn't even mention how he prolonged the great depression or changed the USA into a quasi welfare state.

Forum List

Back