Worst case scenario - oil spill

Tourist business on the east coast of FL will boom this year.
And outer banks off of NC.

As will Hawaii and the west coast of Mexico.There will be millions of Jobs cleaning up the mess...bring your waders and bug repellant. The smell from the dead fish and birds will be a stench beyond belief. You think drug smuggling is a problem now? There will be thousands of unemployed fishermen with boats and families to feed. What with the Coast Gaurd being slightly busy and all.

As will Hawaii and the west coast of Mexico.There will be millions of Jobs cleaning up the mess...bring your waders and bug repellant. The smell from the dead fish and birds will be a stench beyond belief. You think drug smuggling is a problem now? There will be thousands of unemployed fishermen with boats and families to feed. What with the Coast Gaurd being slightly busy and all.
Hey! And with the recent idiocy in AZ, what a great new place for the illegals to enter!

The Coast Guard conceded Saturday that it's nearly impossible to know how much oil has gushed since the April 20 rig explosion, after saying earlier it was at least 1.6 million gallons - equivalent to about 2 1/2 Olympic-sized swimming pools. The blast killed 11 workers and threatened beaches, fragile marshes and marine mammals, along with fishing grounds that are among the world's most productive.

Even at that rate, the spill should eclipse the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident as the worst U.S. oil disaster in history in a matter of weeks. But a growing number of experts warned that the situation may already be much worse.

The oil slick over the water's surface appeared to triple in size over the past two days, which could indicate an increase in the rate that oil is spewing from the well, according to one analysis of images collected from satellites and reviewed by the University of Miami. While it's hard to judge the volume of oil by satellite because of depth, it does show an indication of change in growth, experts said.

"The spill and the spreading is getting so much faster and expanding much quicker than they estimated," said Hans Graber, executive director of the university's Center for Southeastern Tropical Advanced Remote Sensing. "Clearly, in the last couple of days, there was a big change in the size."

Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer for exploration and production, said it was impossible to know just how much oil was gushing from the well, but said the company and federal officials were preparing for the worst-case scenario.

In an exploration plan and environmental impact analysis filed with the federal government in February 2009, BP said it had the capability to handle a "worst-case scenario" at the Deepwater Horizon site, which the document described as a leak of 162,000 barrels per day from an uncontrolled blowout - 6.8 million gallons each day.

Oil industry experts and officials are reluctant to describe what, exactly, a worst-case scenario would look like - but if the oil gets into the Gulf Stream and carries it to the beaches of Florida, it stands to be an environmental and economic disaster of epic proportions.

The Deepwater Horizon well is at the end of one branch of the Gulf Stream, the famed warm-water current that flows from the Gulf of Mexico to the North Atlantic. Several experts said that if the oil enters the stream, it would flow around the southern tip of Florida and up the eastern seaboard.

"It will be on the East Coast of Florida in almost no time," Graber said. "I don't think we can prevent that. It's more of a question of when rather than if."

At the joint command center run by the government and BP near New Orleans, a Coast Guard spokesman maintained Saturday that the leakage remained around 5,000 barrels, or 200,000 gallons, per day.

But Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, appointed Saturday by Obama to lead the government's oil spill response, said no one could pinpoint how much oil is leaking from the ruptured well because it is about a mile underwater.

"And, in fact, any exact estimation of what's flowing out of those pipes down there is probably impossible at this time due to the depth of the water and our ability to try and assess that from remotely operated vehicles and video," Allen said during a conference call.

The Coast Guard's Allen said Saturday that a test of new technology used to reduce the amount of oil rising to the surface seemed to be successful.

My Way News - Gulf oil spill swiftly balloons, could move east

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. I can't see BP surviving this and I just read they are self-insured ... in other words, they have to pay the cost of clean up out of their own pockets.

Not that it will matter much to me if the Florida coast is trashed.

Just what the economy needs. Another fucking huge government bailout.

Obama's Lawyers will fix everything Ravi. Only a week late out of the gate. No problem. ;););)
I've no idea what you think Obama could have done...I don't think anyone can really do much of anything if this is as bad as the link in the OP says. I don't even blame BP...I blame decades of letting the oil companies regulate themselves because so many voters in this country are convinced that regulation equals communism.

(sorry Xo!)

But go right ahead and blame Obama, I could care less...if this leads to more grown up thought over potential country destroying insanity I'm sure it will be blame well spent, however deluded.

I think Obama could take a crack at acting Presidential. This is the time for damage control and repairing the breach, not pointing fingers. Slow out of the gate Ravi, that is an observation, not a condemnation. Pointing fingers, diverting blame, at this point is a waste of time. School's over, this is deal with it with everything at your disposal time, it has been that from the start.

Sadly, the Exxon Valdez and Hurricane Katrina could end up looking like nothing at all in comparison.

Oh, shit...the gulf stream, the east coast of Florida...why didn't I sell and move north when I had the chance?

Soon all gulf swimmers will have their hair slicked back like a southern baptist preacher?

Darn! note to self. Sell all Brylcream stock.

Obama's Lawyers will fix everything Ravi. Only a week late out of the gate. No problem. ;););)
I've no idea what you think Obama could have done...I don't think anyone can really do much of anything if this is as bad as the link in the OP says. I don't even blame BP...I blame decades of letting the oil companies regulate themselves because so many voters in this country are convinced that regulation equals communism.

(sorry Xo!)

But go right ahead and blame Obama, I could care less...if this leads to more grown up thought over potential country destroying insanity I'm sure it will be blame well spent, however deluded.

I think Obama could take a crack at acting Presidential. This is the time for damage control and repairing the breach, not pointing fingers. Slow out of the gate Ravi, that is an observation, not a condemnation. Pointing fingers, diverting blame, at this point is a waste of time. School's over, this is deal with it with everything at your disposal time, it has been that from the start.

And...what exactly is at the prsidents disposal that you are privey too that is unknown to the rest of the world? By all means get on that HOT line and "school" Obama!:lol::lol:

BP..... British Petroleum..... its not going under, exxon didn't go under after a couple big tanker spills and neither will they. All that will happen is douchebag politicians will use this to steamroll cap and trade through..... So this is how we will get our tax on life? Great, thanks a lot for this... Don't worry you won't realize its a problem until its starts to effect you... Remember shit rolls downhill. And no matter how big the hill is it always ends somewhere. So In 5 or 10 years and the cap and trade rates increase, and multiple billionaires are walking out with their money, and the series of trading scams, busts and bubbles all happen, you can thank your sorry selves for this...

The Exxon spill and this one are two different situations entirely. Exxon got away with a penalty 1/100th of the judgement. The Alaskan incident didn't involve alot of public beaches ..or fishing industry right in the way of the spill. The crab and salmon runs were barely affected.

This spill is a horse of an entirely different color. Unlike the Alaskan tragedy as the winds change direction this oil is going to go all around the Gulf poisoning every fishery in its path. It will be a disaster of epic proportions. The Alaska oil happened in very cold water where the oil formed gummy balls almost immediately. This oil is in warm water that will get much warmer allowing the oil to penetrate much deeper into the estuaries where the sea life spawn. I have lived on or very near the ocean my whole life. It is not alarmist to state that without a doubt...The states on the Gulf ...BP ....all the countries on the gulf are FUCKED!!!! Mark my words...this is the biggest natural disaster of all time..and we(humans) caused it.There may not be the loss of human life like Haiti but in economic terms...we are totally screwed. It took the Alaskans decades to only get MOST of the oil spilled in conditions that lent itself to oil recovery. The ECO system around the gulf will be DEAD within a year.

1/100th the judgement? Where in the hell did you get that number? Seriously I would really like to see that claims source...

THey had to pay for the clean-up, the fines and judgments against them for the offense and most likely many other smaller things when they got done.

You sit there and pretend the Alaskan coast is uninhabited, as well as the Russian coast just a few miles away. how about the western Coast of canada? I suppose those are not the same either.... Yeah it only matters when its poor people so you guys can get the sympathy vote.... Nice......

Want to stop with the hysterics now? Seriously you are telling me all kinds of horrible things but none of it is based on fact ore even goes with any prior history or similar incidents. The Alaskan, russian, nor canadian coasts died and the oil didn't kill everything for the entire region. it was bad yes, it was definitely a terrible thing, but it wasn't an eco-system killer like they tried to claim it would be back then any more than this is now...

Biggest disaster of all time???? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

nah buddy on second thought you go right on ahead an panic carry on the hysteria so the rest of us can see the real science and logic inherent in the AGW BS....:lol::lol:

BP..... British Petroleum..... its not going under, exxon didn't go under after a couple big tanker spills and neither will they. All that will happen is douchebag politicians will use this to steamroll cap and trade through..... So this is how we will get our tax on life? Great, thanks a lot for this... Don't worry you won't realize its a problem until its starts to effect you... Remember shit rolls downhill. And no matter how big the hill is it always ends somewhere. So In 5 or 10 years and the cap and trade rates increase, and multiple billionaires are walking out with their money, and the series of trading scams, busts and bubbles all happen, you can thank your sorry selves for this...

The Exxon spill and this one are two different situations entirely. Exxon got away with a penalty 1/100th of the judgement. The Alaskan incident didn't involve alot of public beaches ..or fishing industry right in the way of the spill. The crab and salmon runs were barely affected.

This spill is a horse of an entirely different color. Unlike the Alaskan tragedy as the winds change direction this oil is going to go all around the Gulf poisoning every fishery in its path. It will be a disaster of epic proportions. The Alaska oil happened in very cold water where the oil formed gummy balls almost immediately. This oil is in warm water that will get much warmer allowing the oil to penetrate much deeper into the estuaries where the sea life spawn. I have lived on or very near the ocean my whole life. It is not alarmist to state that without a doubt...The states on the Gulf ...BP ....all the countries on the gulf are FUCKED!!!! Mark my words...this is the biggest natural disaster of all time..and we(humans) caused it.There may not be the loss of human life like Haiti but in economic terms...we are totally screwed. It took the Alaskans decades to only get MOST of the oil spilled in conditions that lent itself to oil recovery. The ECO system around the gulf will be DEAD within a year.

1/100th the judgement? Where in the hell did you get that number? Seriously I would really like to see that claims source...

THey had to pay for the clean-up, the fines and judgments against them for the offense and most likely many other smaller things when they got done.

You sit there and pretend the Alaskan coast is uninhabited, as well as the Russian coast just a few miles away. how about the western Coast of canada? I suppose those are not the same either.... Yeah it only matters when its poor people so you guys can get the sympathy vote.... Nice......

Want to stop with the hysterics now? Seriously you are telling me all kinds of horrible things but none of it is based on fact ore even goes with any prior history or similar incidents. The Alaskan, russian, nor canadian coasts died and the oil didn't kill everything for the entire region. it was bad yes, it was definitely a terrible thing, but it wasn't an eco-system killer like they tried to claim it would be back then any more than this is now...

nah buddy on second thought you go right on ahead an panic carry on the hysteria so the rest of us can see the real science and logic inherent in the AGW BS....:lol::lol:

OK I get it you are one of those Hannity fuckwits.

Do your own homework HOMEY! After you've been here for more than a few minutes you will know who to look to for factual information and who might just throw your dumb ass into the HOMO CAGE for some humility training.

That's right..1/100th before you run your pie hole ..at least have a fuckin clue. Ya might do a study on water temps and currents while you are trying to figure out what happened in Alaska and why the oil there was so well contained.

In the mean time watch you tongue.

(sorry Xo!)

Obama can worry about repairing the beach later.

As will Hawaii and the west coast of Mexico.There will be millions of Jobs cleaning up the mess...bring your waders and bug repellant. The smell from the dead fish and birds will be a stench beyond belief. .

HEY!!

Now we know what Illegal Imigrants can do to become good citizens!!

Join the Civil Conservation Corps: 20 million Illigals/20 million BBL Oil......give each one a barrel, waders, bug repellant, and a bag of doritos, and we'll have this thing cleaned up in no-time AND solve the Immigration Reform problem.

As will Hawaii and the west coast of Mexico.There will be millions of Jobs cleaning up the mess...bring your waders and bug repellant. The smell from the dead fish and birds will be a stench beyond belief. .

HEY!!

Now we know what Illegal Imigrants can do to become good citizens!!

Join the Civil Conservation Corps: 20 million Illigals/20 million BBL Oil......give each one a barrel, waders, bug repellant, and a bag of doritos, and we'll have this thing cleaned up in no-time AND solve the Immigration Reform problem.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::thup::udaman:

I don't know what all the fuss is about anyway. Especially from the right you all have been whining about wanting offshore oil for years. Now when you get it you think it is a bad thing?

I am reminded of "The Lathe of Heaven".
Be careful for what you ask you may get it in unexpected ways.

OK I get it you are one of those Hannity fuckwits.

Do your own homework HOMEY! After you've been here for more than a few minutes you will know who to look to for factual information and who might just throw your dumb ass into the HOMO CAGE for some humility training.

That's right..1/100th before you run your pie hole ..at least have a fuckin clue. Ya might do a study on water temps and currents while you are trying to figure out what happened in Alaska and why the oil there was so well contained.

In the mean time watch you tongue.

Make me asshole!

You didn't do any of your homework other wise we would see a source about now wouldn't we....

You gonna throw me into what???? LOL dude save your fantasies for oldsocks, he likes your type....

Again where is that source junior???? Just going to run off at the mouth about facts and figures and tell us you just know and expect us to accept it? NAH, don't think so HOMIE, show us your source or just admit its what you think and not a fact...

Also you don't know squat about me pal, I am no hannity fan moron... now you can put up or shut-up but you cannot tell me what to do......:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
What does it take to wake an addict up to the damage his addiction is doing? Sometimes the only thing that will do it is for the addict to lose his home.

Our addiction to fossil fuels has been destroying our home, the very place that we live in, for generations now. From the unreclaimed strip mines of Montana, to West Virginia where the hilltops are taken off and dumpted into the valleys, poisoning everything downstream.

Now we see the inevitable result of drilling in deep water. And we really have not yet been able to measure the full extent of the disaster.

I would have to ask about the idea of the chemical introduced at the well head. Where then does the treated oil go? It doesn't just disappear. And what is it doing to the life in the sea where it is at?

I guess at this point the question is how much of our nation are we willing to destroy for our fossil fuel habit? Is it more important to have a 300 hp gas burner under the hood than to have the beautiful nation that we once had? Is it more important for the energy in our grid to be made with coal, so the present owners of those resource can continue to make billions, than to trees and rivers?

The technology to replace fossil fuels has been available for some time. The question for our nation now, is what is more important, the wealth of a few, or having our home, our nation, remain livable.

What does it take to wake an addict up to the damage his addiction is doing? Sometimes the only thing that will do it is for the addict to lose his home.

Our addiction to fossil fuels has been destroying our home, the very place that we live in, for generations now. From the unreclaimed strip mines of Montana, to West Virginia where the hilltops are taken off and dumpted into the valleys, poisoning everything downstream.

Now we see the inevitable result of drilling in deep water. And we really have not yet been able to measure the full extent of the disaster.

I would have to ask about the idea of the chemical introduced at the well head. Where then does the treated oil go? It doesn't just disappear. And what is it doing to the life in the sea where it is at?

I guess at this point the question is how much of our nation are we willing to destroy for our fossil fuel habit? Is it more important to have a 300 hp gas burner under the hood than to have the beautiful nation that we once had? Is it more important for the energy in our grid to be made with coal, so the present owners of those resource can continue to make billions, than to trees and rivers?

The technology to replace fossil fuels has been available for some time. The question for our nation now, is what is more important, the wealth of a few, or having our home, our nation, remain livable.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! its the liar!

hey liar, how are you? Going to lie in this thread to? I just mentioned your name and sure enough here you are...... you following me? :lol::lol:

Wealth of a few? like the scumbags setting up the carbon trade markets? you know Al GOre and Maurice Strong? Please tell me more about the wealth of a few.....:lol:

:lol:.. Yes if Bush were President he certainly wouldn't be blamed.. after all.. Katrina was a natural disaster and he was blamed for that..

This is under Obama Regime Regulation and hardly natural..
Regs ...and found nothing tying Obama to any oil rig regulations. Frankly it was impossible in the time I had to find out exactly who was in charge when the regs were put in place.:

Actually the WSJ article sited in the OP mentioned that the Dept of Interior's MMS looked at adding the acustic switch to regs "several years ago."

The U.S. considered requiring a remote-controlled shut-off mechanism several years ago, but drilling companies questioned its cost and effectiveness, according to the agency overseeing offshore drilling.

However, this is a little like saying on 9/12/01 the FBI considered tighter regs on Arabs traveling in the USA "several years ago."

The problem is that all these agencies are bureaucracies that BENEFIT from their own ineptitude.

Forum List

Back