World’s largest single gathering of humanity

yragnitup

Apr 10, 2018
sadhus_pulling_chillums.jpg

Starting Tuesday, tens of millions of Hindu devotees in India will gather to wash their sins away on the banks of the Ganges River in a festival known as the Kumbh Mela. The tradition, which dates back over a millennia, is billed as the world's largest gathering of humanity. Through March 4, an estimated 120 million people will flock to the northern city of Prayagraj to bathe at the Sangam, a confluence of the Ganges, the Yamuna and the Saraswati rivers, BBC reports. By comparison, that’s almost 14 times the population of New York City
Here's What to Know About India's Kumbh Mela Festival

How to plan a festival for 100m people

Very interesting. But you offer no opinion of your own? Are you muslim?

I wish Hindu and Muslim nations would not be so afraid to allow Christians to offer their words. After all, if I were certain my god(s) was the truth, what harm is there in challenging a pagan and exposing their weaknesses?

I like the Hindu religion.

Man is free to pursue pleasure, fame, fortune and power but eventually he will discover that none of those things will satisfy him because he was made for more.

The more materialistic we become the less satisfied we become.

Hindus believe that their gods were extraterrestrials.

Hinduism believes that every man and woman deserves his fate because of sins in a past life. That's called karma.

So the rich are not under a duty to help the poor because that would be interfering with karma.

My ancestors were Hindus and I still have a lot of familial and cultural ties to India (although born in the U.S.)

The fundamental issue with Hinduism- like all other "religions" sans Christianity- is the lack of a definitive path to salvation. No Hindu knows once he/she dies if he is indeed assured breaking the cycle of reincarnation and attaining moksha/brahman (salvation).

How could one go their entire lives without knowing where their destination is? Such a concept would drive me nuts.

Forum List

Back