Is Real Islam Inherently Violent

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Since 9/11, actually more like the past year, I've come to the conclusion that orthodox Islam is violent. The following post does a pretty good illustration of why. Those that take a 'reformed' pov, do not go radical, those that do, do. Links at site:

http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/008367.php

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,739
    short answer: yes

3. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Islamists (i.e. militant fundamentalist Muslims) are inherently violent. Ordinary Muslims simply are not. Look at worldwide homicide statistics, for example--the U.S. is inherently a lot more violent than many poor, troubled countries. Or look at arms dealing. We're #1. More evidence that we're inherently violent, if one wants to see it that way.

Maybe humans are just inherently violent, and different political and religious situations bring it out in us, e.g. Catholic violence by the I.R.A., Christian violence during Europe's many religious wars, Japanese Shinto violence during WW2, etc. Zen and Tibetan Buddhism may be the only religions not implicated in violence. Perhaps if we all converted to Tibetan Buddhism the world would be a better place.

We do have to deal with Islamists. But we also have to distinguish them from ordinary Muslims.

Mariner.

4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    You never miss a chance to bash the USA, do you Mariner!

The US is not Inherently more violent than poor troubled countries. Rwanda, Somalia, Dafur, Etheopia, Haitti (and on and on) are poor troubled countries and I doubt seriously they are less violent than the US. Also, all the poor troubled countries you care to mention have far less the population of the US. I am willing to bet their investigative capabilities are far less as well and that in many of those poor troubled countries a lot of murders, rapes and assaults dont even get reported.

As for arms dealing, the Russians, French, Germans and other European countries manage to give the US a pretty good run for their money vying for that #1 arms dealer slot.

I simply do not understand why you hate the US so much, especially given that you reap the benefits of living here.

By the way, here are soem statistics for ya:

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html#world

5. deaddude

deaddude Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The way I see it, 19-21% of the worlds population is Islamic. That is over 1 billion people. If any kind of majority of muslims were violent on the levels portrayed by the media, we would have a much worse situation than we have now.

6. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Most of them have no contact with infidels, are kept in check by totalitarian warlords. They are systematically breeding poor, womanless, jihad committed males to be unleashed during wwIII. Look at what happens wherever islam bumps against another culture. That border is typically blood coated.

7. deaddude

deaddude Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Like that hasn't happened to Christianity.

Lets see, anti-semitic pogroms in europe erupt after the black plauge.
    Chirstians show up in the New World, Native Americans are nearly wiped out completely. Christians show up in Africa, soon after you get the slave trade, and later the aparteid (which only ended in 1991). The Islamics are in control of Jerusalem, lets have a Crusade. THere are christians who have slightly different beleifs than ours, hundred years war. The Klan still exists and was a Christian terrorist organization.

Am I condoning Islamic violence? No. Am I saying Christianity is inherently violent? Far from it. I am just arguing that the violent actions of a few cannot be used to blacken Islam as a whole, because if thats true then Christianity is not looking to good either.

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    When christianity moved in that direction, it was at MORE variance from what is doctrinally supported, ie, was not chritianity. The Koran unequivocally supports violent jihad against nonbelievers. What is textually supported matters.

9. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,739
    Correct. Christians don't go around killing people just because they aren't christian. Or if they do it happens a hell of a lot less than it does with Islam. Just look at what Christianity is based on....and compare that to where Islam came from. Islam is a "faith" based on a lie, from a man with a history of violence to his name. Just look at how the arab people have gone down the tubes since embracing Islam.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    For the most part, the actions of the colonists above wasn't exactly done in the name of Christianity. There were missionaries who came with them, but most of the slaughter was done in the name of the kingdom or the colony or whatever.

The Crusades were a back and forth action/reaction type scenario.