World's fattest countries

I eat junk food and food cooked at home.

I love pizza :)

I don't consider pizza 'junk food' per se. It is high in carbs, but if you don't eat it every day it is OK. You still get some meat and veggies on it.

I eat junk food and food cooked at home.

I love pizza :)

The Pizza from the usual suspects Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Papa Johns etc all tastes terrible now, what happened? when I was in High School I loved Papa Johns. I only get pizza from little mom and pop Italian places now.

I just got tired of it. Pizza was Friday night fare when we were all tired and just wanted to order something. Here, there's nothing to order. LOL. Occasionally I stop by Pizza Hut in Murray and get their buffet. I may do that tomorrow. Going to get my hair dyed, er...un...washed.

I haven't been to Britain recently, but in the past 6 months I've been to Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Russia, Germany, and Austria. GB may not be typical of "Europe." Admittedly, it was "tourist season," but most of the fat people I saw were (obviously) Americans.

Eating healthy in America cost a small fortune.
Your grocery bill will be at least double that of an unhealthy diet's bill.
Potato chips, soda, 1 gallon pails of artificial ice cream, frozen pizzas, ground beef, snack cakes etc. etc. are very-very cheap.
Produce is outrageous in America. Carrots, celery, green lettuce, asparagus, fresh fruit - cost a damn fortune.

I can't agree with that. People who eat all those empty calories are hungry all the time because they just don't get the nutrition they need. Good wholesome meals are filling and well worth the money spent. I fed my family good healthy produce. You may shell out more at the register, but the food will stay with you far longer than processed foods will. Don't believe it? Divvy up a meal of 500 calories consisting of potato chips. Now divvy up a meal of 500 calories consisting of lean meat or fish, and veggies. See which one you get hungry the fastest after you have eaten it. I don't spend any more on my food than a person on food stamps would get to spend for a month. You have to shop with skill and not buy so much perishable food that it would ruin before you ate it.

I really don't consider ground beef to be junk food. There are a lot of really good dishes that call for it. You don't have to slap it between two pieces of bread to have a meal. Another very inexpensive cut is brisket. My mother could made some really good meals with that. I remember the first time I ever had steak. I was about 14.

That is kinda what I am saying though.
Families with low income can't shell out $50 a week just for produce.
And I agree with low nutritional foods they do not stick with you - so what do people do? They eat more junk food.
Not to mention soda pop, death in a bottle. Ridiculously bad for you. 16 teaspoons of sugar in one bottle. There are people who drink 2-3 bottles a day - that is 42 teaspoons of sugar!!

$50 will buy more produce than a family can possibly eat in a week at a farmer's market (many here take EBT too).

The problem isn't money, it's motivation. Why bother when Publix is just down the street and there is more than enough on the card to buy expensive unhealthy food?

You would be amazed at what humans can survive on.

Look at navies in the past. Sailors ate hard tack and occasionally salt pork. When I was in Vietnam, most peasants ate rice and a bit of fish. That's it. And fish was only a couple times a week.

I have no doubt that a family of four could survive on $50 per week. Rice, pasta, and beans, with an occasional cheap cut of meat to add flavor & protein.

And a pack of Hostess HoHo's from time to time.

Forum List

Back