World Oil All Gone In 38 Years

Do you believe we should start doing something now?

• Yes

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I could care less

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
History: Black gold drew people to Kern, Taft

n the late 1800s, discoveries of oil made Kern County a hot spot for folks looking to strike it rich. Old Sunset field was one of the earliest oil fields.

The first rig placed in Old Sunset by Lovejoy and his partners only produced one barrel per day. Another well dug to a depth of 300 feet produced sulfur water.

The Midway-Sunset oilfield continues to be extremely productive today. According to a 2013 report by the state Division of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources, the Midway-Sunset is the largest producing oil field in California. Estimates from the report show the field produced 28.8 million barrels of oil last year.

They were preaching this bullshit 40 years ago.
Yeah. " End of humanity" Tag ends in uneven number ? No gas for you today.
I had extra tags. That Cobrajet couldn't go a day without a tank vanishing
Of course now some flag wavers say we have more than anyone. So instead of nationalizing the resource..... it's for sale, like everything else.

I did the research; Now you help me get the word out (BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!)

The World’s Largest Oil Reserves By Country

Proven oil reserves are those that have a reasonable certainty of being recoverable under existing economic and political conditions, with existing technology.

10. United States - 39,230 million barrels
9. Libya - 48,363 million barrels
8. Russia - 80,000 million barrels
7. United Arab Emirates - 97,800 million barrels
6. Kuwait - 101,500 million barrels
5. Iraq - 142,503 million barrels
4. Iran - 158,400 million barrels
3. Canada - 169,709 million barrels
2. Saudi Arabia - 266,455 million barrels
1. Venezuela - 300,878 million barrels

the above adds up to---- 1,304,838 million barrels

The total worldwide oil consumption was 93 million barrels per day (bbl/day) on average in 2015 according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

List of countries by oil consumption - Wikipedia

93 million a day X 356 days = 33,945 a year

1304838/33945 = 38 years

Check it out, do the math yourself
Then help us find a new future for our children!!!!
:)-
"Petroleum has been used for less than 50 years, and it is estimated that the supply will last about 25 or 30 years longer. If production is curtailed and waste stopped it may last till the end of the century. The most important effects of its disappearance will be in the lack of illuminants. Animal and vegetable oils will not begin to supply its place. This being the case, the reckless exploitation of oil fields and the consumption of oil for fuel should be checked."

— July 19, 1909 Titusville Herald (Titusville, PA)

upload_2019-6-9_12-59-12.jpeg

Fuels are only a part. Plastics, agrochems,paints and accessories, your wifeys nail polish and that big triple D dildo in the dresser are all part of the game.

What you are not mentioning is the decline in current oil fields. As new oil fields are found old ones dry up. Now put that into your predictions
Sad is your opinion. Yes, some oil fields have dried up. I am sure you could, if you put work into your posts, link to articles that appear to reinforce your opinion.

But, that is only if you ignore the oil fields that have not dried up and have been producing oil in three, separate, centuries! Yes, we have oil fields that are more productive now then they were in the late 1800's!

So, is it ignorance on your part? Stupidity? Are you simply a liar? Why would you post something that is so easily proven a lie. It took me about 60 seconds to respond to your incorrect opinion with fact that is indisputable.

The Midway-Sunset oilfield continues to be extremely productive today. According to a 2013 report by the state Division of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources, the Midway-Sunset is the largest producing oil field in California. Estimates from the report show the field produced 28.8 million barrels of oil last year.

View attachment 264547
This picture is what was all so common in the past, huge amounts of oil under pressure, not far under the surface that was just begging to be released. When the oil first went into major production in Saudi Arabia, there was no need to pump oil, you just open values and it flowed at a fantastic rate. Today we drill deeper and deeper. We go further and further into remote areas and further offshore which adds to the cost of production. When you add the cost of increases in regulations around world on transportation of oil, production, emission and pollution controls, spill cleanups, and of course tax increases, the cost of using oil as a fuel will drive consumers to other fuels, long before the world runs out of oil.

Last edited:

Proven oil reserves are those that have a reasonable certainty of being recoverable under existing economic and political conditions, with existing technology.

The total worldwide oil consumption was 93 million barrels per day (bbl/day) on average in 2015 according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

1304838/33945 = 38 years

The end of oil was first predicted to occur in 1970.

What you are not mentioning is the decline in current oil fields. As new oil fields are found old ones dry up. Now put that into your predictions
Sad is your opinion. Yes, some oil fields have dried up. I am sure you could, if you put work into your posts, link to articles that appear to reinforce your opinion.

But, that is only if you ignore the oil fields that have not dried up and have been producing oil in three, separate, centuries! Yes, we have oil fields that are more productive now then they were in the late 1800's!

So, is it ignorance on your part? Stupidity? Are you simply a liar? Why would you post something that is so easily proven a lie. It took me about 60 seconds to respond to your incorrect opinion with fact that is indisputable.

View attachment 264547
This picture is what was all so common in the past, huge amounts of oil under pressure, not far under the surface that was just begging to be released. When the oil first went into major production in Saudi Arabia, there was no need to pump oil, you just open values and it flowed at a fantastic rate. Today we drill deeper and deeper. We go further and further into remote areas and further offshore which adds to the cost of production. When you add the cost of increases in regulations around world on transportation of oil, production, emission and pollution controls, spill cleanups, and of course tax increases, the cost of using oil as a fuel will drive consumers to other fuels, long before the world runs out of oil.
You're forgetting that shale oil increases proven reserves by 900%.

It is irrelevant how many times something was predicted to happen and didn’t happen. What is important is when a prediction comes true. I’ve done the number crunching, presented it here and now I am hopping the folks here will join together and try to come up with some solutions.

If you don’t want to join in then don’t.

It is irrelevant how many times something was predicted to happen and didn’t happen. What is important is when a prediction comes true. I’ve done the number crunching, presented it here and now I am hopping the folks here will join together and try to come up with some solutions.

If you don’t want to join in then don’t.

When it comes true, then you'll have something to crow about. Until that time, we'll place your theory where it belongs: in the waste bin.

When it comes true, then you'll have something to crow about. Until that time, we'll place your theory where it belongs: in the waste bin.

"we'll place your theory"? When you, yourself and your alter-ego come together into one mindset, let me know and I will be happy to talk to whichever of you fractured selves wins out.
Until then it's best you continue talking to yourselves.

1304838/33945 = 38 years

Bad math...

First of all, we have no idea precisely how much available oil there is at any given moment.

Second of all, you are calculating as if there are only 1.3 trillion barrels of a non-renewable source left... Oil IS renewable; it forms naturally underground. So, you'd have to at least figure that the 1.3 trillion number is steadily increasing by X barrels per day. Point being, we have MUCH longer than 38 years of oil left to tap into... Oil availability isn't an issue.

1304838/33945 = 38 years

Those figures are known reserves. Every year, oil companies are finding new oil. The exploration for oil is a huge business. Although I agree with your objective, we need to move away from oil as a fuel, using known reserves is not a convincing argument.

Personally, I think a better argument is the effects of climate change that people can see today, increasing precipitation in the Midwest and increasing droughts in southwest, increasing forest fires in the west, increases in intensity, number and duration of hurricanes, 8 inch rise in sea level leave since 1880, etc.. Most people don't give shit what happens to the planet a hundred years or so from now. They are living for here and now. What do they care if there is no arctic ice in 2100, crops are failing, and there's is widespread famine. That's not going to be their problem.
You make a good point in your first paragraph about the figures being bad. We simply don't know how much available oil there is.

Your second paragraph has issues though. First off, what IS "climate change"? Please provide a non-circular definition of the term. This is part #1 (entitled "Logic") of my three part rejection of "climate change". Circular definitions simply do not work, as they make reference to nothing outside of themselves. They yield void arguments.

As to "increasing precipitation in the Mid West", I suppose that depends on specific location. I will agree that my specific location in the Mid West this year saw the worst flooding that I have seen during my 28 year lifetime (and my dad says likewise for his lifetime). We had pretty bad flooding in 2008 too. Other years have been just fine, though. --- Given that, I'm not sure how one figures that "precipitation is increasing" in a large region... Even in a specific location, what time period are you using? Why is that time period "holy" as opposed to any other time period? In the end, weather is a random event; it just does what it does.

Same line of reasoning as above applies for the "increasing droughts in the South West" bit...

Forest fires in the West, especially the ones in Kaliphornia (I spell it like that because I don't consider them to be part of the Union anymore, since they are effectively an Oligarchy that rejects the US (and their own State) Constitution at this point), are largely due to poor forest management practices. Their attempts to "help" the environment are actually harming it.

The same line of reasoning for rainfall and droughts also applies to your hurricane claim...

Your "rise in sea level" claim is a bad one, making use of made up numbers... There is no way to accurately measure "global sea level", as there is no valid reference point for doing so.

The "you don't care" bit at the end of your post is not a valid argument...

China Is Set To Become The World's Renewable Energy Superpower, According To New Report

Jan 11, 2019, 07:21am
The continuing growth in renewable energy around the world is set to boost the power of China
while undermining the influence of major oil exporters such as Russia and Middle East states like Saudi Arabia, according to a new report on the geopolitical implications of the changing energy landscape.

“No country has put itself in a better position to become the world’s renewable energy superpower than China,” says the report, which was issued by the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation – a group chaired by a former president of Iceland, Olafur Grimsson.

The commission was set up by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) last year and its findings were published on January 11 in Abu Dhabi, at IRENA’s annual assembly.

Olafur Grimsson, former president of Iceland and chairman of the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation, speaking at the launch of the group’s report on January 11 in Abu Dhabi, UAE (photo: IRENA)

Olafur Grimsson, former president of Iceland and chairman of the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation, speaking at the launch of the group’s report on January 11 in Abu Dhabi, UAE (photo: IRENA) IRENA

The report argues that the geopolitical and socio-economic consequences of the rapid growth of renewable energy could be as profound as those which accompanied the shift from biomass to fossil fuels two centuries ago. The changes are likely to include the emergence of new energy leaders around the world, changing patterns of trade and the development of new alliances. It could also spark instability in some countries which have grown dependent on oil and gas revenues.

The report points out that China has taken a lead in renewable energy and is now the world’s largest producer, exporter and installer of solar panels, wind turbines, batteries and electric vehicles.

China also has a clear lead in terms of the underlying technology, with well over 150,000 renewable energy patents as of 2016, 29% of the global total. The next closest country is the U.S., which had a little over 100,000 patents, with Japan and the E.U. having closer to 75,000 patents each.

“The renewables revolution enhances the global leadership of China, reduces the influence of fossil fuel exporters and brings energy independence to countries around the world,” said Grimsson, speaking at the launch of the report. “The transformation of energy brings big power shifts.”

Beyond China, there are a few other groups of countries which stand to gain from the trends now under way. They include countries with high potential for renewable energy generation, such as Australia and Chile, which could become significant exporters of renewable electricity. Mineral-rich countries such as Bolivia, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Mongolia could also tap into rising global demand for their raw materials.

Many of these governments are well aware of the risks they face and have been making significant investments into renewable energy in recent years. For example, the UAE has developed vast solar energy parks and Saudi Arabia recently unveiled plans to develop 59GW of renewable energy by 2030.

Stressing a more optimistic view, Adnan Amin, director general of IRENA, said at the launch of the report that “The global energy transformation driven by renewables can reduce energy-related geopolitical tensions as we know them and will foster greater cooperation between states. This transformation can also mitigate social, economic and environmental challenges that are often among the root causes of geopolitical instability and conflict.”
China Is Set To Become The World's Renewable Energy Superpower, According To New Report

The continuing growth in renewable energy around the world is set to boost the power of China
while undermining the influence of major oil exporters such as Russia and Middle East states like Saudi Arabia, according to a new report on the geopolitical implications of the changing energy landscape.

“No country has put itself in a better position to become the world’s renewable energy superpower than China,” says the report, which was issued by the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation – a group chaired by a former president of Iceland, Olafur Grimsson.

The commission was set up by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) last year and its findings were published on January 11 in Abu Dhabi, at IRENA’s annual assembly.

Olafur Grimsson, former president of Iceland and chairman of the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation, speaking at the launch of the group’s report on January 11 in Abu Dhabi, UAE (photo: IRENA)

Olafur Grimsson, former president of Iceland and chairman of the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation, speaking at the launch of the group’s report on January 11 in Abu Dhabi, UAE (photo: IRENA) IRENA

The report argues that the geopolitical and socio-economic consequences of the rapid growth of renewable energy could be as profound as those which accompanied the shift from biomass to fossil fuels two centuries ago. The changes are likely to include the emergence of new energy leaders around the world, changing patterns of trade and the development of new alliances. It could also spark instability in some countries which have grown dependent on oil and gas revenues.

The report points out that China has taken a lead in renewable energy and is now the world’s largest producer, exporter and installer of solar panels, wind turbines, batteries and electric vehicles.

China also has a clear lead in terms of the underlying technology, with well over 150,000 renewable energy patents as of 2016, 29% of the global total. The next closest country is the U.S., which had a little over 100,000 patents, with Japan and the E.U. having closer to 75,000 patents each.

“The renewables revolution enhances the global leadership of China, reduces the influence of fossil fuel exporters and brings energy independence to countries around the world,” said Grimsson, speaking at the launch of the report. “The transformation of energy brings big power shifts.”

Beyond China, there are a few other groups of countries which stand to gain from the trends now under way. They include countries with high potential for renewable energy generation, such as Australia and Chile, which could become significant exporters of renewable electricity. Mineral-rich countries such as Bolivia, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Mongolia could also tap into rising global demand for their raw materials.

Many of these governments are well aware of the risks they face and have been making significant investments into renewable energy in recent years. For example, the UAE has developed vast solar energy parks and Saudi Arabia recently unveiled plans to develop 59GW of renewable energy by 2030.

Stressing a more optimistic view, Adnan Amin, director general of IRENA, said at the launch of the report that “The global energy transformation driven by renewables can reduce energy-related geopolitical tensions as we know them and will foster greater cooperation between states. This transformation can also mitigate social, economic and environmental challenges that are often among the root causes of geopolitical instability and conflict.”
Nope. China ain’t doing that.

Every industrialized nation in the world except trumpland is working toward ending fossil fuel dependence and going to renewable.

France Will Save Billions By Investing in Renewables Instead of Nukes

December 12, 2018

France will save 39 billion euros ($44.5 billion) if it refrains from building 15 new nuclear plants by 2060, and bets instead on renewable energy sources to replace its all its aging atomic facilities, a government agency said.

France should spend 1.28 trillion euros over the next four decades, mostly on clean power production and storage capacities, networks, and imports, according to a report from the country’s environment ministry. If it does this, France would progressively shut down its 58 atomic plants and renewable energy would comprise 95 percent of its electricity output by 2060, up from 17 percent last year.

The development of the so-called EPR nuclear reactors “wouldn’t be competitive for the French power system from an economical standpoint,” the Agence de l’Environnement et de la Maitrise de l’Energie --or Ademe-- said in a statement. The report assumes that the reactors would produce electricity at a cost of 70 euros per megawatt-hour, while the cost of wind and solar power would fall much lower.

The report follows President Emmanuel Macron’s announcement that state-controlled Electricite de France SA will have to shut as many as 14 of its 58 nuclear reactors by 2035 to allow renewable energy to expand the country’s power mix. Macron also gave EDF until mid-2021 to prove that it can build an economically-viable reactor before the country decides to build new atomic plants. EDF’s EPR project in Normandy is more than six years late coming online, and the cost has more than tripled from its original budget.

Falling costs means that photovoltaic facilities won’t need subsidies from 2030, nor will onshore wind from 2035, the report said. That’s assuming that EDF halts 30 percent of its reactors after 40 years of operation and an additional 30 percent when they turn 50. Otherwise, surplus production capacity would undermine the economics of both nuclear power and renewables, Ademe said.

The study doesn’t take into account the impact on jobs, industry and the environment. However, “we’re expecting job creations in renewables and energy efficiency to largely make up for job losses in the nuclear industry,” said Ademe Chairman Arnaud Leroy.
France Will Save Billions By Investing in Renewables Instead of Nukes

... Oil availability isn't an issue.
You just might be right. I heard somewhere that a person who has been buried in a coffin for 100 years or more degrades into a pint of oil and there are millions of graves out there!!!!

And the coffins have some value too.

Lol

just a joke between friends :)-

You meant according to bullshit report.

You win the "Oxymoron of the Month" award for your entry "Renewable Energy Superpower" Congratulations!

Forum List

Back