End of Oil is at our door step; what next?

do you believe our economy can survive without oil?

• Total voters
Burning fossil fuel is wasteful? You do realize that ENERGY is a tangible product, right? Without fossil fuel, the WORLD STOPS. And you're wrong, those new oil and gas fields are readily available for extraction as are the newer technology of hydraulic fracturing. The U.S. is now the largest producer of oil in the world, and a net exporter of energy.

You are talking about the present. I'm talking about the future as oil prices go up the price of oil based commodities goes up. It's hard to talk about prices which fluctuate by many forces such as supply and demand controlled by a cartel. It is worth while reading about Energy Return on Energy Investment (EROEI)
Energy Analysis - Wikid Energy Funhouse - UIowa Wiki
Note how the EROEI cost of oil is getting worse over the decades without attaching any dollar values.

That is one way of thinking about the "cost" of energy without thinking about the current or future price. We are rapidly coming to a point where alternate energy sources are cheaper. Then the remaining value of oil will be for plastics.

Burning fossil fuel is wasteful? You do realize that ENERGY is a tangible product, right? Without fossil fuel, the WORLD STOPS. And you're wrong, those new oil and gas fields are readily available for extraction as are the newer technology of hydraulic fracturing. The U.S. is now the largest producer of oil in the world, and a net exporter of energy.

You are talking about the present. I'm talking about the future as oil prices go up the price of oil based commodities goes up. It's hard to talk about prices which fluctuate by many forces such as supply and demand controlled by a cartel. It is worth while reading about Energy Return on Energy Investment (EROEI)
Note how the EROEI cost of oil is getting worse over the decades without attaching any dollar values.

That is one way of thinking about the "cost" of energy without thinking about the current or future price. We are rapidly coming to a point where alternate energy sources are cheaper. Then the remaining value of oil will be for plastics.

Still a huge cost difference!

As I have said over and over, when there is a genuine profit motive for developing new energy sources, they will be developed...government handouts are not a genuine profit motive...the provide get rich quick opportunities for scammers, but nothing viable.

The future is Fossil Fuels. We have huge reserves, we have new technology, we continue to find more huge reserves. It is so plentiful that it should be considered like a renewable resource. We are not going to run out for centuries, and it is NOT causing climate change.

Wind and solar are both unreliable, and a joke. If you want a true alternative, build more NUKE PLANTS.

The future is Fossil Fuels. We have huge reserves, we have new technology, we continue to find more huge reserves. It is so plentiful that it should be considered like a renewable resource. We are not going to run out for centuries, and it is NOT causing climate change.

Wind and solar are both unreliable, and a joke. If you want a true alternative, build more NUKE PLANTS.

I agree there are huge reserves. My point was that it is getting more and more expensive to get these huge reserves. Deep ocean drilling; squeezing it out of oil shale; tar sands; are all expensive to mine and as the easier pickings are used up it continues to get more expensive. Yes newer technology will help, but it will take more and more oil energy to utilize that technology to get that oil. Sure, get it while you can, but I don't see fossil fuels as the future for centuries.

I agree there are huge reserves. My point was that it is getting more and more expensive to get these huge reserves. Deep ocean drilling; squeezing it out of oil shale; tar sands; are all expensive to mine and as the easier pickings are used up it continues to get more expensive. Yes newer technology will help, but it will take more and more oil energy to utilize that technology to get that oil. Sure, get it while you can, but I don't see fossil fuels as the future for centuries.

I don't see extraction as a problem in the future. Fracking works, and is economically viable. We have huge reserves on land in Texas and elsewhere, plus the off shore oil. Maybe you know something I don't, but I don't see extraction as an issue.

Forum List

Back