Workers Productivity Up 2.9% Cost Per Worker Down 1.9%

Discussion in 'Economy' started by TruthOut10, Dec 5, 2012.

1. TruthOut10

TruthOut10 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Productivity Picks Up as U.S. Companies Cut Labor Costs

The productivity of U.S. workers expanded more than previously estimated in the third quarter as companies cut labor expenses to preserve profits.
    The measure of employee output per hour climbed at a 2.9 percent annual rate, the biggest gain in two years and up from 1.9 percent in the prior three months, revised Labor Department figures showed today in Washington. The median forecast in a Bloomberg survey of 58 economists called for a 2.8 percent rise. Costs per worker fell at a 1.9 percent rate, more than previously estimated.

Productivity Picks Up as U.S. Companies Cut Labor Costs - Bloomberg

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,287
    Time to slash their pay

3. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    And your point is?

4. TruthOut10

TruthOut10 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Companies have been steadily holding employee wages down for at least 30 years, but the trend in the last several years has been making FEWER workers working longer and harder, while increasing Corporate profits and CEO pays for the most part.

When the average worker gets jack shit. Companies have also been making it a practical business decision on reducing workers hours down from the traditional 40 hour week in order to NOT pay them any benefits.

Stagnant wages which for the most part aren't livable wages in today's economy, so still wondering what my point is?

5. TruthOut10

TruthOut10 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I hope I answered your question, sad part is that you asked for my point. The article was very self explaining and I rather deal from a point of fact, rather than be involve myself in alot of "speculation".

Which means one or two things:

1) So uninformed or unaware of this problem that you had to ask.

2) You do know and for some reason don't see this as a problem and okay with Corporations squeezing the last bit of blood out of the common worker and don't care that wages not only haven't gone up, but in alot of cases have gone down over the years.

Once again that is the truly sad part, so which one are you?

6. Wiseacre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Some hyperbole in there on your part, but essentially correct. Too bad the ideologue in the WH hasn't put economic policies in place that actually grew the economy enough so that most companies would be incentivized to do the opposite.

7. Wiseacre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    #2. Keeping labor costs down and doing everything you can to increase productivity is the only way for businesses to survive in the Obama economy.

Some people read the facts and draw a conclusion from them. Other people have already drawn the conclusion and assume the facts support it. I already know which one you are.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. TNHarley

TNHarley Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,538
    :clap2:

9. TruthOut10

TruthOut10 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I'll use Walmart as an example:

They don't pay their employees a "livable wage", so most of their employees end up going on various programs in order to survive (public assistance, etc.) which local or Federal Government has to pick up the tab. Taxpayers, subsidizing their wages, because they don't make enough to support themselves nor offers health insurance, etc.

Now before Walmart sets up a store in any town or City, they bully the local government to give them enormous tax breaks for years. So they setup shop and eventually most all local businesses are destroyed because they can't compete, now forcing wages to stay real low.

The Walmart heirs which is probably less than 5 of them have more wealth than over 40% of the rest of the U.S. population. Yet you have these workers without government assistance couldn't survive.

When is the greed enough? Paying those same workers at least $15.00 per hour would NOT make them any less rich.

Pay no taxes and expects the government to subsidize their workers in order for them to survive.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. TNHarley

TNHarley Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,538
    Wow a good post from you lol