Wondering if this type of Laptop still exist in 2019?

Much is not the same size for replacements parts yet it never stopped me from operating one computer that I replaced the power supply in that had to be housed outside of the housing flange..

A friend of mine had a "Frankenstein" computer. He had all kinds of stuff hanging off of it. An external keyboard etc. It was no longer much of a laptop. Another friend connected up to a docking station and went external for everything, the screen, the keyboard, etc. Again, it was no longer a laptop, but a desktop he paid double for.
The reason for that is that the standardization of laptop components never really caught on in laptop world. Manufacture's motherboard, case, keyboard, power supply, differs in order to produce a unit with most features lowest cost, weight, and power consumption. Unlike building a desktop, finding compatible parts can be difficult. Cramp space makes working inside a laptop a nightmare. Often the finial result of a laptop construction project is a disappointing kludge that's not as good as the store bought device.
I have a guy that used to work for me that takes laptops from trash bins they collect and pieces together a working laptop.
The hardware in most laptops or desktops that are junked today actually work. The problems are usually software or obsolescence. Working on them is too expense.
A friend gave me two old dell pc's like this one:

716-FpGj45L._SX522_.jpg

One of them wouldn't do anything but display a cursor on the screen. Pretty sure the motherboard was fried in it. The other wouldn't boot up and gave several HD errors. I put the HD out of the other one in it with all the memory it had. and now have another working PC.
That may work on some computers but not all. Options in the bios often specify information about the boot drive so if the the drive is similar to previous hard drive it will probably work. Also some operating systems such as windows 10 once installed is not portable between devices unless it has been setup to be.

Last edited:
A friend of mine had a "Frankenstein" computer. He had all kinds of stuff hanging off of it. An external keyboard etc. It was no longer much of a laptop. Another friend connected up to a docking station and went external for everything, the screen, the keyboard, etc. Again, it was no longer a laptop, but a desktop he paid double for.
The reason for that is that the standardization of laptop components never really caught on in laptop world. Manufacture's motherboard, case, keyboard, power supply, differs in order to produce a unit with most features lowest cost, weight, and power consumption. Unlike building a desktop, finding compatible parts can be difficult. Cramp space makes working inside a laptop a nightmare. Often the finial result of a laptop construction project is a disappointing kludge that's not as good as the store bought device.
I have a guy that used to work for me that takes laptops from trash bins they collect and pieces together a working laptop.
The hardware in most laptops or desktops that are junked today actually work. The problems are usually software or obsolescence. Working on them is too expense.

716-FpGj45L._SX522_.jpg

One of them wouldn't do anything but display a cursor on the screen. Pretty sure the motherboard was fried in it. The other wouldn't boot up and gave several HD errors. I put the HD out of the other one in it with all the memory it had. and now have another working PC.
That may work on some computers but not all. Options in the bios often specify information about the boot drive so if the the drive is similar to previous hard drive it will probably work. Also some operating systems such as windows 10 once installed is not portable between devices unless it has been setup to be.
I wiped the drive and put W7 on it.

716-FpGj45L._SX522_.jpg

I wiped the drive and put W7 on it.
Just don't try that with windows 10.

Laptop that

1. Has compatibility with Chrome Browser

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I noticed that Chromebooks don't have DVD drives on their computers. I also prefer to use the Chrome Browser over Microsoft Edge
You just to look for a real laptop, not a netbook if you want DVD drive.

Otoh, I get along fine with a Chromebook. Everything is downloadable these days so I don't really need an external.

Netbook?

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I noticed that Chromebooks don't have DVD drives on their computers. I also prefer to use the Chrome Browser over Microsoft Edge

I suggest you use pen and paper. You appear to be so computer illiterate it's pathetic.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

Then download the browser and build yer own damn laptop...

BUILD a laptop???

Dude, you're not drunk, you're tripping on heavy acid...
Why not? I build my son's gaming PCs every year.
Some folks just never do travel to certain places on the planet....I rebuild old ones and get them for free after people who can't work on them throw them away...
I redo his every Christmas and keep his one year old stuff for mine.

I'm the only guy I know watching crappy YouTube videos on an GeForce 1660 6gb video card.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

BUILD a laptop???

A laptop is not a regular PC.

Go looking for notebook cases, notebook power supplies, notebook motherboards.

Because of their size, a notebook or laptop is crafted by manufactures and not suitable for DIY projects. While POSSIBLE, it is not really something anyone does.
Lol, sure it is. In another thread right here there's a fella all pleased about snagging a buncha laptop cases with keyboards. Whaddya think he's gonna do with those? Stare at them?

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

BUILD a laptop???

Some folks just never do travel to certain places on the planet....I rebuild old ones and get them for free after people who can't work on them throw them away...

I'm the only guy I know watching crappy YouTube videos on an GeForce 1660 6gb video card.
I do the same with my kids so I have the leftovers...But it's almost over...

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

BUILD a laptop???

I've always built my computers, both hardware and software. It costs more than buying already built machines and it takes a lot of time. It's worth it only if you want total control of your computer; that is you install only the hardware and software you want. Manufactured computers today, have so much crap on them that you will never use that just slow the machine down and adds clutter.
We build for speed. I pay for a really fast internet connection and I don't want the the box to be the chokepoint.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

You just to look for a real laptop, not a netbook if you want DVD drive.

Otoh, I get along fine with a Chromebook. Everything is downloadable these days so I don't really need an external.

Netbook?
Netbooks and Chromebooks (basically the same.thing,) do not come with external drives. You will have to look at actual laptop computers .They are, as a general rule, larger, heavier, and more expensive than netbooks. They are also more capable.

Yup. Just turned 17. Most likely only a couple of builds to go.

BUILD a laptop???

I do the same with my kids so I have the leftovers...But it's almost over...

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

BUILD a laptop???

I've always built my computers, both hardware and software. It costs more than buying already built machines and it takes a lot of time. It's worth it only if you want total control of your computer; that is you install only the hardware and software you want. Manufactured computers today, have so much crap on them that you will never use that just slow the machine down and adds clutter.
We build for speed. I pay for a really fast internet connection and I don't want the the box to be the chokepoint.
Unfortunately the longest delays, you can't do anything about because they occur on the Net, either waiting for a DNS server to resolve a name or waiting on the destination website. There use to be long delays due to rerouting packets and they would time out. I don't think that happens much anymore.

Last edited:

BUILD a laptop???

Unfortunately the longest delays, you can't do anything about because they occur on the Net, either waiting for a DNS server to resolve a name or waiting on the destination website. There use to be long delays due to rerouting packets and they would time out. I don't think that happens much anymore.
Those aren't really in play once he's in game.

BUILD a laptop???

Do you build for speed, or power? It sounds more like you're looking for power, i.e. processing power.

Do you build for speed, or power? It sounds more like you're looking for power, i.e. processing power.
Processing power = speed in games with complex graphics.

Forum List

Back