Wondering if this type of Laptop still exist in 2019?

Laptop that

1. Has compatibility with Chrome Browser

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I noticed that Chromebooks don't have DVD drives on their computers. I also prefer to use the Chrome Browser over Microsoft Edge
Then download the browser and build yer own damn laptop...

BUILD a laptop???

Dude, you're not drunk, you're tripping on heavy acid...
Why not? I build my son's gaming PCs every year.
I've always built my computers, both hardware and software. It costs more than buying already built machines and it takes a lot of time. It's worth it only if you want total control of your computer; that is you install only the hardware and software you want. Manufactured computers today, have so much crap on them that you will never use that just slow the machine down and adds clutter.

The microprocessors in laptops are soldered in with ball grid array. Which means you had to unsolder them with hot air, and you need special fluxes and masks to solder a new one on there, again using hot air. They have $10,000 machines to do it.
Yeah no kidding, yet when one is a certified electronic tech like I was it is no big deal to trade out surface mount components..

We're not talking normal surface mount, we're talking ball grid array. You need an X-ray just to do QC on it. And most folks don't have access to $50,.000 worth of equipment to fix their $800 laptop.

I remember the 8080 Microprocessor, well. Microprocessors were vintage early eighties and then came Microcomputers. Now RAM is internal on the chip with the general purpose digital computer, ROM is still external of the chip. The main frame in my avatar had a 2 microsecond clock count and water cooled core memory and used COBOL, circa early seventies. edit: Thanks for the flashback.

There is cache ram, on I series CPU's is three levels, L1-3 for advanced prediction. But main RAM is still external and on the motherboard. DDR4 is currently the most popular,

Did you fool around with the Zilog Z-80, which Intel so heavily "borrowed from" in the construct of the 8080?

Last edited:
1015889.jpeg

I bought one of these from Amazon 2 years ago. Works great. 140 dollars then, less now.

Refurbs can be a great buy. :thup:

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I noticed that Chromebooks don't have DVD drives on their computers. I also prefer to use the Chrome Browser over Microsoft Edge
After years of insisting that my computer have a floppy drive and then graduating to a DVD, today I find no use for this type of auxiliary storage. With the huge capacity of USB storage and online storage, what use is a DVD?
Playing movies you may have.

Most are streamed these days. Load them to a flash drive and you're good to go.

A CD holds 800mb. You can purchase a 32 Gb USB stick for 8 bucks. Put what you want on a stick and then install it that way. Faster too.

CD players are going the way of the 8-track and Cassette players.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

After years of insisting that my computer have a floppy drive and then graduating to a DVD, today I find no use for this type of auxiliary storage. With the huge capacity of USB storage and online storage, what use is a DVD?

I know but many people have dvd collections still.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

BUILD a laptop???

I've always built my computers, both hardware and software. It costs more than buying already built machines and it takes a lot of time. It's worth it only if you want total control of your computer; that is you install only the hardware and software you want. Manufactured computers today, have so much crap on them that you will never use that just slow the machine down and adds clutter.
Total control...if only you could be the OS.

You use the ratings on the components to work with each other-duh...
:lol:

No stupid, that is specifying a configuration.

BUILDING a PC means getting an empty case, mounting a power supply, setting up case cooling, mounting the motherboard, attaching any storage devices (M.2 NVME makes this so easy now!) putting the CPU in the socket (you'd bend the pins, seriously) attaching CPU cooling, Putting in the RAM, setting up video options. Attaching case connections to the Mobo.
It doesn't matter when you are building one if the parts are new or used as long as they are within tolerances of compatibility, hey, I did do rocket science for the military for a missile system used the world wide over, it is called the TOW missile system... computers are easy to build compared to a optical guided wired missile system using a prism assembly for guidance..
All microprocessors have pins allocated for functions all you have to do is make sure the function is in the programming..
The only components you have to buy to build a computer is the the motherboard, RAM, CPU, hard drive or SSD, case/power supply and of course a monitor. Many components are now built-in to the mother board such the GPU, sound card, network adapter, wifi, etc. So unless you are into high end gaming or need the computer for some special purpose using the built-ins work well for most people.

The only hard part in building a computer is deciding what to buy. There is a bewildering array hardware and software to chose from. This can take a lot of research to make sure it's all compatible. I enjoy putting computers together. Most people wouldn't.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I have an external drive that I use on the rare occasions I watch an old DVD but if you have a large library of dvd's then having a dvd drive makes sense. However, DVD's are going the same route as other storage mediums such as video tapes and cassettes.

Last edited:
Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I know but many people have dvd collections still.
I would archive them on a 4 Tb external hard drive. Chose an SSD for faster results and reliability.

The microprocessors in laptops are soldered in with ball grid array. Which means you had to unsolder them with hot air, and you need special fluxes and masks to solder a new one on there, again using hot air. They have $10,000 machines to do it.
Yeah no kidding, yet when one is a certified electronic tech like I was it is no big deal to trade out surface mount components..

We're not talking normal surface mount, we're talking ball grid array. You need an X-ray just to do QC on it. And most folks don't have access to $50,.000 worth of equipment to fix their $800 laptop.

I remember the 8080 Microprocessor, well. Microprocessors were vintage early eighties and then came Microcomputers. Now RAM is internal on the chip with the general purpose digital computer, ROM is still external of the chip. The main frame in my avatar had a 2 microsecond clock count and water cooled core memory and used COBOL, circa early seventies. edit: Thanks for the flashback.

There is cache ram, on I series CPU's is three levels, L1-3 for advanced prediction. But main RAM is still external and on the motherboard. DDR4 is currently the most popular,

In 1994 I showed Honeywell Aerospace what was wrong with their Tower Computer and they forgot to plug the ribbon cable into the mother board. In 1993 I showed Aniston Army Depot what was wrong with their main frame, and the General wanted to hire me but I told him that I signed a not to compete paper. Their main frame forgot the handshake bit.

Did you fool around with the Zilog Z-80, which Intel so heavily "borrowed from" in the construct of the 8080?

In 1994 I showed Honeywell Aerospace what was wrong with their Tower Computer and they forgot to plug the ribbon cable into the mother board. In 1993 I showed Aniston Army Depot what was wrong with their main frame, and the General wanted to hire me but I told him that I signed a not to compete paper. Their main frame forgot the handshake bit.

No, I never fooled around with the Zilog Z-80 but have fooled around with the Kawasaki KZ-900.

Much is not the same size for replacements parts yet it never stopped me from operating one computer that I replaced the power supply in that had to be housed outside of the housing flange..

A friend of mine had a "Frankenstein" computer. He had all kinds of stuff hanging off of it. An external keyboard etc. It was no longer much of a laptop. Another friend connected up to a docking station and went external for everything, the screen, the keyboard, etc. Again, it was no longer a laptop, but a desktop he paid double for.
The reason for that is that the standardization of laptop components never really caught on in laptop world. Manufacture's motherboard, case, keyboard, power supply, differs in order to produce a unit with most features lowest cost, weight, and power consumption. Unlike building a desktop, finding compatible parts can be difficult. Cramp space makes working inside a laptop a nightmare. Often the finial result of a laptop construction project is a disappointing kludge that's not as good as the store bought device.

I remember the 8080 Microprocessor, well. Microprocessors were vintage early eighties and then came Microcomputers. Now RAM is internal in the chip with the general purpose digital computer, ROM is still external of the chip. The main frame in my avatar had a 2 microsecond clock count and water cooled core memory and used COBOL, circa early seventies. COBOL was hexadecimal and Basic was binary coded octal. edit: Thanks for the flashback.
My first job when I got out of school was writing COBOL programs. It was like the stone age. You designed your program's logic with a flowchart if necessary. Wrote the program on a coding pad. Submitted the coding to key punch to be transferred to punch cards. Submitted the card deck for compilation on the mainframe. Within a day you get your card deck back with a program listing and list syntax errors. You then repeat the process correcting the syntax errors until you have a clean compilation. You then create the data needed to test the program and submit it for testing. After debugging and testing the program over and over with all possible variations in data, the program is now ready for production. This process could well take a month or more. Today it would probably take only day or so.

I remember the 8080 Microprocessor, well. Microprocessors were vintage early eighties and then came Microcomputers. Now RAM is internal in the chip with the general purpose digital computer, ROM is still external of the chip. The main frame in my avatar had a 2 microsecond clock count and water cooled core memory and used COBOL, circa early seventies. COBOL was hexadecimal and Basic was binary coded octal. edit: Thanks for the flashback.
My first job when I got out of school was writing COBOL programs. It was like the stone age. You designed your program's logic with a flowchart if necessary. Wrote the program on a coding pad. Submitted the coding to key punch to be transferred to punch cards. Submitted the card deck for compilation on the mainframe. Within a day you get your card deck back with a program listing and list syntax errors. You then repeat the process correcting the syntax errors until you have a clean compilation. You then create the data needed to test the program and submit it for testing. After debugging and testing the program over and over with all possible variations in data, the program is now ready for production. This process could well take a month or more. Today it would probably take only day or so.
I did Fortran when at the University or Arkansass in 1988 and it sucked...And yes the geometrically shaped flow charts remind me of the logic ladder programs they use now in production.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

BUILD a laptop???

Total control...if only you could be the OS.
By total control, I mean what hardware and software is in the computer. Today, computers may have a hundred or more applications. The average user will probably use only half dozen. The remainder will remain on the computer often slowing it down, creating conflicts with other programs and at times will contain or will be used by various types of malware to drive the user nuts.

Much is not the same size for replacements parts yet it never stopped me from operating one computer that I replaced the power supply in that had to be housed outside of the housing flange..

A friend of mine had a "Frankenstein" computer. He had all kinds of stuff hanging off of it. An external keyboard etc. It was no longer much of a laptop. Another friend connected up to a docking station and went external for everything, the screen, the keyboard, etc. Again, it was no longer a laptop, but a desktop he paid double for.
The reason for that is that the standardization of laptop components never really caught on in laptop world. Manufacture's motherboard, case, keyboard, power supply, differs in order to produce a unit with most features lowest cost, weight, and power consumption. Unlike building a desktop, finding compatible parts can be difficult. Cramp space makes working inside a laptop a nightmare. Often the finial result of a laptop construction project is a disappointing kludge that's not as good as the store bought device.
I have a guy that used to work for me that takes laptops from trash bins they collect and pieces together a working laptop.

I did Fortran when at the University or Arkansass in 1988 and it sucked...And yes the geometrically shaped flow charts remind me of the logic ladder programs they use now in production.
The first computer program I wrote was in FORTRAN about 1960. It ran on an IBM 1620 computer at the University. The computer was built with transistors, not integrated circuits. It had so many problems in it that IBM service people worked on it almost every day.

I have a guy that used to work for me that takes laptops from trash bins they collect and pieces together a working laptop.
The hardware in most laptops or desktops that are junked today actually work. The problems are usually software or obsolescence. Working on them is too expense.

The hardware in most laptops or desktops that are junked today actually work. The problems are usually software or obsolescence. Working on them is too expense.
A friend gave me two old dell pc's like this one:

716-FpGj45L._SX522_.jpg

One of them wouldn't do anything but display a cursor on the screen. Pretty sure the motherboard was fried in it. The other wouldn't boot up and gave several HD errors. I put the HD out of the other one in it with all the memory it had. and now have another working PC.

Forum List

Back