Women having to work

Most of the women I know are educated and choose to work. The few stay at home moms I know, planned accordingly when they decided to stay home. Having a supportive husband, living within your means, and doing things in the right order (school, job, marriage, home, kids.).certainly makes life a bit easier.

Being out of the work force for a long time can be a living hell when you try to get back into it too, people see gaps in the resume and get all antsy from my understanding, they don't care what the reasons are.

A gap to raise your children is no longer an issue on a resume...assuming you used your down time to stay in touch with changees in technology and changes in your idustry.

To the contrary, I am finding RTW's (return to work) easy to place if they did as I said above...it shows maturity, drive, desire and enthusiasm...

It is all about how you present it.

i don't agree. I think corporations look down on people who mommy track.

this nation would be in much better shape if we had more tru fiscal conservatives like you.

It would be a lot better off without all the tax-and-spend liberals like you.

Being financially prudent in your private life doesn't make you a "fiscal conservative."

for the record: when we go to rug rat parties, our kids are far better behaved than the day care kids.

I agree wholeheartedly....yes....there is greater discipline in children that do not attend daycare.

However, I have seen those in daycare adapt a lot easier to separation from the parents when they are a little older.

It is all about what the parents prefer...heacdaches now or headaches later.

you think so? i found that my son was more well behaved at a young age than the kids who didn't go to day care. he also read earlier, and interacted better with other children and adults than kids who didn't go to day care.

Last edited:
Ohh the market is freeer than the consumers it has programmed. To their eager delight to be programmed into a world where self worth is determined by expensive posessions, not who/what you really are.
The market does not program consumers. Consumers program the market.

Last edited:
this nation would be in much better shape if we had more tru fiscal conservatives like you.

It would be a lot better off without all the tax-and-spend liberals like you.

Being financially prudent in your private life doesn't make you a "fiscal conservative."

Yes it is the root cause of fiscal conservatism.
It does not however make you a republican.

Hopefully one day you will understand.

Last edited:
*I* just do not agree at all with the ideology that the 'cost of living' has increased. Not that it hasn't gotten more expensive to do certain things and to pay certain things but our minimum wage has also gone up.

The issue that blares the brightest is the fact that individuals tend to not be able to entertain themselves without spending a fortune. Also, the price of food is excessively high if one's taste is the focus instead of their hunger.

Our tremendous concern for comfort has been our biggest enslavement. "We" cannot blame any party for such.

Ranting over dems/libs/reps/cons also may prove us to be more like petty children than responsible adults.

Exactly. I have always lived on a single income. Currently, my wife has opened her own business because she is a TERRIBLE homemaker (what can you do) but we do not turn a profit. It is more to keep her going and it is good for our son - we run a daycare. We have carved out a very comfortable life. I own my home and my car and buy pretty much whatever I want when I want it. I accomplished this by doing EXACTLY the opposite of the following:
Geez, can't anybody take a dinner break?

If your talking about a 2 family income college educated household where they are willing to aquire huge amounts of debt, then yes they can live a middle class life style, becuase anyone that can get they credit can live any lifestyle that they want.

But if your talking about living with minimal debt - $10,000 at most - then no they can't live a middle class standard.

Don't be fooled into thinking that debt is wealth. The real wealth of Americans is abysmal - they been led into a credit trap to maintain their standard of living.
Thats the problem. Everyone seems to think like you do. They need that couch NOW or that TV NOW. Most of my friends that out earn me live far below the level I do because of credit. As you said credit is not wealth but what you failed to say was that credit DESTROYS wealth. The problem today is NOT that people cannot make it on one income and it is not that they cannot afford a good life. The problem is that we want that life IMMEDIATELY as soon as we turn 18. We leave high school thinking that we need that brand new car. I did not purchase a car over 2000 dollars until I turned 28 AND owned my own home (priorities). We think that we need brand new furniture as soon as we get a place. What happened to hand me downs or thrift stores. People did this to themselves with the credit addiction and the 'I want it now" attitude that Americans are so well known for. How many people do you know that pay a car off for 5 years only to sell it to buy another one immediately? That is one of the DUMBEST ideas ever yet it is extremely prevalent. I guarantee that people years ago did not define middle class in the same manner that we do today as well. People today expect to start off with everything that their parents worked DECADES for and use credit to acquire it. Even then, if they manage to pay it off they go right back and max out some more credit. If people would wise up and understand that if you cannot purchase it then you can't have it then more and more would be able to live a far more decent life.

Personal credit exists for two things - cars and homes. That is all it should be used for.

for the record: when we go to rug rat parties, our kids are far better behaved than the day care kids.

I agree wholeheartedly....yes....there is greater discipline in children that do not attend daycare.

However, I have seen those in daycare adapt a lot easier to separation from the parents when they are a little older.

It is all about what the parents prefer...heacdaches now or headaches later.

you think so? i found that my son was more well behaved at a young age than the kids who didn't go to day care. he also read earlier, and interacted better with other children and adults than kids who didn't go to day care.

Only because they picked a bad daycare. That is a TOUGH decision to make and most people do not do the proper research before deciding on a daycare. Then again, from the other standpoint, most parents are unable to discipline their children in this day and age or even deal with their children...

Just to be clear, I know couples that both work because they simply have to. There is no way for them to make ends meet without it. And I certainly don't think any less of them for doing what needs to be done. On the other hand, I also know couples that could certainly make it work with one parent staying home but choose not to. And I absolutely believe that in this circumstance they do not have their priorities straight. Just one man's opinion, but there it is.

Being out of the work force for a long time can be a living hell when you try to get back into it too, people see gaps in the resume and get all antsy from my understanding, they don't care what the reasons are.

A gap to raise your children is no longer an issue on a resume...assuming you used your down time to stay in touch with changees in technology and changes in your idustry.

To the contrary, I am finding RTW's (return to work) easy to place if they did as I said above...it shows maturity, drive, desire and enthusiasm...

It is all about how you present it.

i don't agree. I think corporations look down on people who mommy track.

Thats what I heard as well, but I think it always goes down to who the person is looking at the resume.

Things are too expensive these days, only the rich can have their wives sitting at home, the women have to join their husbands in the work force to afford a decent living.

Then maybe people need to change what they think of as a "decent living", H_G.

Things wrong with your post HG:

1. My wife doesn't sit at home. There is work to be done.
2. I own a home with a reasonable mortgage, own a vehicle out right and all my landscape equipment. I think it qualifies as decent.

When I wrote "sitting at home" I didn't mean the wife will do nothing, my mother stayed at home and there is enough things to do around the house when you have kids to keep you busy all day, I understand that. My point was not enough people can afford to have the mother be a stay at home mom like in the past.

A "decent living" is always different depending on who you ask.

True, but I think the American Society has really taken it to a whole new level. I say that as someone who is a "gadgeteer" (term my roommate uses).... whenever I get involved in something new, I have to get all the gadgets, gizmos, and such associated with it.

I'm considering doing a sprint triathlon next spring for the first time, and I'm already looking at investing $200 in a trisuit. I don't NEED IT, but if I'm going to do the event, I want one. It's that sort of mentality that gets people in over their heads financially.

A "decent living" is always different depending on who you ask.

True, but I think the American Society has really taken it to a whole new level. I say that as someone who is a "gadgeteer" (term my roommate uses).... whenever I get involved in something new, I have to get all the gadgets, gizmos, and such associated with it.

I'm considering doing a sprint triathlon next spring for the first time, and I'm already looking at investing $200 in a trisuit. I don't NEED IT, but if I'm going to do the event, I want one. It's that sort of mentality that gets people in over their heads financially.

Oh I agree with you on that, alot of people in this country spend so much on things they want like the New Iphone, Air Jordans, high definition flat screen, new rims for a car etc etc and than get in debt because of that, I think people need to get down to the basics more, for me I pay all my bills rent, car payment, electiricity, water etc and make sure there is enough food in the fridge and gas in the car before I do anything else.

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau

Oh I agree with you on that, alot of people in this country spend so much on things they want like the New Iphone, Air Jordans, high definition flat screen, new rims for a car etc etc and than get in debt because of that, I think people need to get down to the basics more, for me I pay all my bills rent, car payment, electiricity, water etc and make sure there is enough food in the fridge and gas in the car before I do anything else.

I went down the debt road once and it taught me a major lesson. I clawed my way back out and now I pay a lot more attention to what I CAN afford rather than just what I want.

I went down the debt road once and it taught me a major lesson. I clawed my way back out and now I pay a lot more attention to what I CAN afford rather than just what I want.

Besides my car I only buy things I can afford out right, I don't make payments on anything, I don't like owing people.

I've noticed in some of the other XXXXX many women are not happy about having to work and have others look after and potentially influence there child upbringing at the day care centers. Many do not want to be forced to work along with there husband. Many want be home taking care of the household and family matters and would like to have more than one child but cannot afford it. Seems like the 70's woman's lib movement has finally been seen for what it has caused.

Women have always been working women. Since the recorded history of humankind, you find women always busy inside and outside of their household; except that they were careful to incorporate their in-house work with their outside work.

I think today's problem is more a problem of living standards and mothers under pressure who forget the importance of setting their priority straight. While it is nice and comfy to live a luxurious lifestyle, I believe it is better and more relaxing to invest time in children today to help them become emotionally strong in the future.

Forum List

Back