Women having to work

Well if you can make that work good for you, I just know its alot harder to do now than it was in the past.

Yes it is. And it's not easy for us either.

We have friends with bigger homes, more toys and kids raised in daycare. It's just a matter of priorities. I like to think I have mine straight.

I think it is definently better for the kids to be at home with the mother while they are school age, if you can afford it, daycare costs an arm and a leg anyways.

It is more a matter of preference than it is a matter of priorities.
There are many virtues to day care...the least being good for developing social skills.
There is exposure to other ways of life.
Other ideas.
independence is a big one...learning to spend time without mom around.

Day care is an extension of school...and does not take that much away from quality time with mom and dad......

Others like the virtues that come with longer time with mom and dad.

It is a matter of preference.....i think it is an insult to imply that it is a matter of priorities...thus implying that those that opt for child care dont have their priorities correct.

I've noticed in some of the other XXXXX many women are not happy about having to work and have others look after and potentially influence there child upbringing at the day care centers. Many do not want to be forced to work along with there husband. Many want be home taking care of the household and family matters and would like to have more than one child but cannot afford it. Seems like the 70's woman's lib movement has finally been seen for what it has caused.

My wife is a stay-at-home mom. Right now she's in the kitchen barefoot making me a sammich.

for the record: when we go to rug rat parties, our kids are far better behaved than the day care kids.

It has less to do with the cost of living and more to do with people living beyond their means.

Preferences/priorities... why split hairs?

I didnt see it as splitting hairs.

I have never heard someone say "they have their preferences screwed up"

I have heard people say "you have your priorities screwed up"

But I guess I see your point...

Pretty soon the Children will be forced to work to help pay the Bills. 10 & 11yr olds will be out working to help support the Family. We are definitely going backwards in this Country. Women working is more about today's economics than anything else. Wages are going down while the cost of living is skyrocketing. Better get those kids out there working. Bleak times are ahead for this Nation.

for the record: when we go to rug rat parties, our kids are far better behaved than the day care kids.

I agree wholeheartedly....yes....there is greater discipline in children that do not attend daycare.

However, I have seen those in daycare adapt a lot easier to separation from the parents when they are a little older.

It is all about what the parents prefer...heacdaches now or headaches later.

Pretty soon the Children will be forced to work to help pay the Bills. 10 & 11yr olds will be out working to help support the Family. We are definitely going backwards in this Country. Women working is more about today's economics than anything else. Wages are going down while the cost of living is skyrocketing. Better get those kids out there working. Bleak times are ahead for this Nation.

Some people are already doing that, not 10 & 11 year olds but teenagers work to help pay bills and put food on the table, some kids were doing that when I was in High School.

I agree wholeheartedly....yes....there is greater discipline in children that do not attend daycare.

However, I have seen those in daycare adapt a lot easier to separation from the parents when they are a little older.

It is all about what the parents prefer...heacdaches now or headaches later.

The separation issue was dealt with by putting them in pre-school.

Some people are already doing that, not 10 & 11 year olds but teenagers work to help pay bills and put food on the table, some kids were doing that when I was in High School.

My kids never had to work a day in their lives.

Both starting working at the age of 14...after school and weekends at the local deli.

Working at a young age builds character and appreciation for the concept of "earning"

Things are too expensive these days, only the rich can have their wives sitting at home, the women have to join their husbands in the work force to afford a decent living.

I agree. It has nothing to do with womens lib.

Womens lib opened up the eyes of the country as to the demeaning attitude towrad women.....but many worked and took time off for the "child bearing" years and then went back to work.

But today? The wants, desires, AND some needs of the people, require both to work.

Eliminate cell phones, computers, air conditioning, late model cars, etc...and only one would need to work.
Sadly, the above mentioned are no longer considered luxuries...they are deemed as needs.

I don't know, if both the husband and wife don't have high paying jobs both will have to work anyways just to pay for the basic necessities, plus depending where you live an air conditioner is necessary or you might die and pass out, especially if you are old.

Welcome to the real world of enjoying the fruit of your labors. You want to live well...work for it.

Things are too expensive these days, only the rich can have their wives sitting at home, the women have to join their husbands in the work force to afford a decent living.

Womens lib opened up the eyes of the country as to the demeaning attitude towrad women.....but many worked and took time off for the "child bearing" years and then went back to work.

But today? The wants, desires, AND some needs of the people, require both to work.

Eliminate cell phones, computers, air conditioning, late model cars, etc...and only one would need to work.

Sadly, the above mentioned are no longer considered luxuries...they are deemed as needs.

yeah... those bastards. How dare they stimulate the economy.

Children would perhaps be better within a working environment, such a horrid generalization, granted, but even at half there are a large percentage of our adult population that DO NOT work. Fathers and mothers are the stressed ones because they also carry the burdens of 'family life'. All too often parents choose to cut off the grandparents and don't share the children, or if there are enmeshed families there are stress factors that potentially entrap the children if it isn't well-balanced by social outlets.

*I* love the idea of my children learning to work at an early age. My fourteen year old does much better when he is given a purpose and benefits for meeting that purpose. There are so many young adults within our society that if they are taught early enough to be reasonably responsible with their money then perhaps the world for them at our age will be solved of major financial issues.

When I was a kid, I cut grass, worked on farms picking, shoveled snow etc... My mother was a stay at home mom. I don't remember but a few friends mothers who worked. They were always available. Those were great days. 1960's.

True... Id didn't have to be this way. The 70's movement cost us a way of life. It also cost us the dumbing down and indoctrination of our youth in the school system.

How did the 70s movement increase our cost of living though?

because big money saw dollar signs in women working. women working=more money per family earned=higher prices for the same products=big profits.

Now, women are trapped into working even if they don't want to... because the cost of living is now so much a part of our landscape that it's impossible to go back without major increases in salary for the people who do work.

Most of the women I know are educated and choose to work. The few stay at home moms I know, planned accordingly when they decided to stay home. Having a supportive husband, living within your means, and doing things in the right order (school, job, marriage, home, kids.).certainly makes life a bit easier.

I'm in the real estate business.. I see how the folks get by. They need two incomes. If one gets sick they're in trouble immediately. The Government took full advantage of the movement. Now we are paying the price and women are starting to speak out about it.

yeah... those bastards. How dare they stimulate the economy.

Sure...spin the meaning AND reason of my post and ruin a good debate.

True... Id didn't have to be this way. The 70's movement cost us a way of life. It also cost us the dumbing down and indoctrination of our youth in the school system.

How did the 70s movement increase our cost of living though?

because big money saw dollar signs in women working. women working=more money per family earned=higher prices for the same products=big profits.

Now, women are trapped into working even if they don't want to... because the cost of living is now so much a part of our landscape that it's impossible to go back without major increases in salary for the people who do work.

I see you have the economic mind of a sparrow.

lol...the more money a household makes, the more money we can charge them.

I guess EVERY business has a monopoly?

yeah... thanks to the Privatization of Public sector programs that help everyday Americans and favoring Billionaires and their companies.

I've noticed in some of the other XXXXX many women are not happy about having to work and have others look after and potentially influence there child upbringing at the day care centers. Many do not want to be forced to work along with there husband. Many want be home taking care of the household and family matters and would like to have more than one child but cannot afford it. Seems like the 70's woman's lib movement has finally been seen for what it has caused.

where are you getting your *cough* statististics from? any woman i know who chooses to stay home ... does so. the rest of us choose to work.

reducing the number of children one has in order to afford to raise them has nothing to do with women working. it has to do with the shrinking of the middle class and the shifting distribution of wealth.

so if i were you, i'd stop crying about women being able to choose what they want.

That's fine. You don't know that many, and they wouldn't tell you anyway for obvious reasons. Have a good day.

He is correct Jillian.

If you dont believe there are woman AND EVEN SOME CHILDREN that are forced to work to meet their family wants and needs, then you are either very jaded or you just want to argue.

And heck...I know where you live....you think thast kid at the conveinece store is putting together the sunday papers becuase he wants to?

Forum List

Back