Women are too weak physically to serve in combat

The thread title should be Most women arent strong enough and then id agree. For all those that keep wanting and hoping that women can be completely equal to men, just remember the physical acruity tests to be a cop and a firemen had to be lowered so more women could pass them.
Admitting women in general are not as physically capable as men is not an insult to women, its merely a fact. The favorite argument is GIVE BIRTH then tell me im not strong enough, blah, nonesense, us not being able to give birth in itself shows were not the equal.

I don't think anyone is saying, at least not without being silly, that all women are physically equal to all men.

I don't even understand the controversy.

My understanding is that women will still need to pass physical criteria to be omitted into combat units, and these the SAME physical criteria regardless of gender.

My understanding is that women will still need to pass physical criteria to be omitted into combat units, and these the SAME physical criteria regardless of gender.

Not for long. Just like police and firefighters, the standards will have to be lowered. Otherwise they will end up with very, very few women.

The sad part is that perfectly capable women will have military careers cut short as they are discharged early for medical reasons.

Not for long. Just like police and firefighters, the standards will have to be lowered. Otherwise they will end up with very, very few women.

The sad part is that perfectly capable women will have military careers cut short as they are discharged early for medical reasons.

Horse puckey, of course. Standards will not be lowered.

You mentioned the lowering of standards for police and firefighters.

Sorry, but I haven't read all through the thread to find your evidence this has happened PLUS because it has happened to any municipal government, it would happen in the U.S. Military.

Where did you post it?

Sorry, but I haven't read all through the thread to find your evidence this has happened PLUS because it has happened to any municipal government, it would happen in the U.S. Military.

Where did you post it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=low...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Where did you post it?

Obama Justice Dept. Forces City To Lower Standards For Police

Officials: Panetta opens combat roles to women - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

The LAPD's assault on SWAT - Los Angeles Times

When the standards are too stringent to allow in representation of minorities, including women, the standards are changed. The standards are an artificial barrier maintaining the good old boys network and have to go.

The same thing happened with women firefighters. In order to reach the quota of female hires standards had to be lowered.
Women Firefighters: The Gender Boondoggle - Page 4 - News - Los Angeles - LA Weekly

In fact, some firefighters say Bamattre quietly rolled back strict physical requirements, just like Manning, implementing a secret "no fail" policy to pass women who plainly could not heft chain saws up ladders or run with heavy hoses, or who had other physical deficiencies. In the almost entirely male yet multiracial force, firefighters were furious that academy rejects were getting through, and many questioned whether Bamattre was jeopardizing firefighters and the public.

In one instance, firefighter Melissa Kelly could not carry a ladder. She dropped it on herself. She complained that the male firefighters would not come and get the ladder off of her. Think of this as an emergency. One firefighter can't perform and more firefighters are needed to help her rather than deal with the emergency. Liberals don't see this as a problem.

Lima told the Weekly, "It is hard to go in a fire with someone when you know from drilling she can't lift the ladder... If you can't do it in a perfect environment in a drill tower or academy, there is no way you can do it in a life-threatening situation."

Lowering standards to let women in has a secondary deletorious effect. When standards are lowered, they aren't lowered just for women. Unqualified men get in too.

I used to think that women were the equal of men in every way and there was nothing a man could do that a woman couldn't. She could run as fast and for as long as any man. Lift the same amount of weight. Be as vicious in a fight. It took many years for me to be educated out of my misconceptions. Nevertheless, this concept of physical equality is a misconception and a dangerous one at that.

Where did you post it?

Officials: Panetta opens combat roles to women - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

The LAPD's assault on SWAT - Los Angeles Times

When the standards are too stringent to allow in representation of minorities, including women, the standards are changed. The standards are an artificial barrier maintaining the good old boys network and have to go.

The same thing happened with women firefighters. In order to reach the quota of female hires standards had to be lowered.
Women Firefighters: The Gender Boondoggle - Page 4 - News - Los Angeles - LA Weekly

Well, I'll take them one at a time (ignoring the Op-ed article from LA times)

Regarding the laweekly.com article, there was never any lowering of standards.

The accusation was that, WITH THE STANDARDS IN PLACE, administrative personnel had overrulled drillmasters that had failed women.

Even if there was any unwritten policy overruling drillmasters to allow greater number of women to pass, any hint that this might be happening has promped corrective action:

LAFD Battalion Chief Richard Rideout refused to discuss whether there was a no-fail policy for women, adding cryptically, "It doesn't happen anymore. Everything was revamped" when Chief Barry took over

So in this case, the standards did NOT change, and any efforts to contravene them were corrected.

That is very weak reasoning by you, Katzndogz. Nothing more than nonsense propaganda.

That is very weak reasoning by you, Katzndogz. Nothing more than nonsense propaganda.

Well, I can certainly sympathize with the concern:

Cites ABC news reporting the Dayton Police Department's lowering of examination passing standards.

While this has nothing to do with the US Military, or physical standards, or women....I suppose one could extraplate them all.

I believe that the inclusion of women in combat units, and maintaining standards is OK, ans long as we are serious about not circumventing the standards when women fail to meet them, or lowering the standards so women can meet them.

However, it appears that eith of these possibilities may be more likely than not, and we should make sure that some oversight is in place to prevent it from happening.

Cites ABC news reporting the Dayton Police Department's lowering of examination passing standards.

While this has nothing to do with the US Military, or physical standards, or women....I suppose one could extraplate them all.

I believe that the inclusion of women in combat units, and maintaining standards is OK, ans long as we are serious about not circumventing the standards when women fail to meet them, or lowering the standards so women can meet them.

However, it appears that eith of these possibilities may be more likely than not, and we should make sure that some oversight is in place to prevent it from happening.

It is so more Blacks can pass the tests.

It is so more Blacks can pass the tests.

More whites can also pass the test.

Far sighted is better than near, yes, I agree.

The thread title should be Most women arent strong enough and then id agree.

Actually, my main issue with the title is that it should be " Women are too weak physically to serve in a direct combat MOS". I have no problem with women in combat, they have served in that many times, and have done very good at it.

I have no problem with women in 90% of the MOS available in the military. It is only that small 10% where such things really matter that I start to object. And some of the few are Infantry, direct crews serving artillery, Armor, and a select few others.

MPs many times see more "action" then infantry, and I have absolutely no problem with women serving there. But they are generally involved in much shorter duration but intense firefights. That is quite different then what is expected for Infantry.

There is really no "physical criteria" to get into different MOS, other then the lack of physical conditions that might prevent them from serving (like color blindness for electronics MOS, or no profile that says they can't lift over 50 pounds). There is no "higher level" required to go into say the Infantry.

But women already do take their physical critera at a much lower level then men do. At my age (48), the minimum passing score is 25 pushups, 30 situps, and to run 2 miles in 19:30 or less. To give an idea how far off that is from "prime", for a 22 year old male it is 40 pushups, 50 situps, and 2 miles in 16:36.

For a 22 year old female, it is 17 pushups, 50 situps, and 2 miles in 19:36.

In other words, a female does not even have to be in as good a shape as a 50 year old man to pass the "physical requirements".

Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)

In fact, a female in her prime does not even have to do as many pushups as a 60 year old man, and only has to run about 20 seconds faster then him.

Now think about putting 60 year old men in the infantry, and you might start to get an idea how silly this is.

They already are lower! What don't you get about that?????

The standards for women in the Army is much lower then that of men. And it is not just that way in the Army.

In the Marines, women do not even do pull-ups. Where as men have to do at least 3 pull-ups, women only have to do a "flexed arm hang" for 15 seconds. Where as men have 28 minutes as a minimum to run 3 miles, women get 36 minutes.

Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test Chart - Males

So don't even try to go there where the "standards will not be lowered", they already are, and have been since women first entered the military.

The standards for women in the Army is much lower then that of men. And it is not just that way in the Army.

In the Marines, women do not even do pull-ups. Where as men have to do at least 3 pull-ups, women only have to do a "flexed arm hang" for 15 seconds. Where as men have 28 minutes as a minimum to run 3 miles, women get 36 minutes.

So don't even try to go there where the "standards will not be lowered", they already are, and have been since women first entered the military.

We are talking about combat arms. So show me where the women are going to get different standards than in the combat arms? You can't.

We are talking about combat arms. So show me where the women are going to get different standards than in the combat arms? You can't.

Theres a lot more to combat than simply firing guns. The physical tests are there (among other reasons) to ensure your military personell are strong enough to move injured soldiers out of harms way. I imagine most women couldnt drag a 200 pound man with his full pack on, let alone carry him.

Forum List

Back