Woman's joke recieves backlash from public

There's no law against stupidity and ignorance, but that's no reason to expect that her actions shouldn't have consequences, is it?

I guess I have a problem with anyone being held accountable for what they say on Twitter, Linked In, Facebook, etc. at work if it doesn't directly effect the company.

This thread is one reason I don't do social media, too many down sides.

Many people aren't smart enough or disciplined enough to handle social media, others simply bright enough to hold a job.

There's no law against stupidity and ignorance, but that's no reason to expect that her actions shouldn't have consequences, is it?

I guess I have a problem with anyone being held accountable for what they say on Twitter, Linked In, Facebook, etc. at work if it doesn't directly effect the company.

I have a problem with an idiot being an idiot on a company trip.

A picture no one but her friends was ever supposed to see.... I just can't see the outrage.

But this is what happens when employees have no rights.

I guess I have a problem with anyone being held accountable for what they say on Twitter, Linked In, Facebook, etc.....

Cos you're a bleeding heart ass wipe whose inclinations are to extend bad behavior. As people are held accountable, the problems will be eradicated.

This occurred during a work trip genius.

During a time when they weren't doing company business.

On a forum no one but her friends were supposed to be able to see.

Why is it your definition of freedom only applies to the rights of the wealthy?

I guess I have a problem with anyone being held accountable for what they say on Twitter, Linked In, Facebook, etc.....

Cos you're a bleeding heart ass wipe whose inclinations are to extend bad behavior. As people are held accountable, the problems will be eradicated.

Sorry, I'm not seeing how she needs to be held accountable for a picture.

Let's put it in a way your brain would understand.

Let's say that your boss is an Obama supporter, and he finds out about some of the smack you've been talking here about the President. He calls you into the office and fires your ass.

(This works on the unlikely premise you are gainfully employed or can hold down a job, bothof which seems pretty unlikely.)

Frankly, by your own standard, you are being "held accountable". You've said disrespectful things about the president. In a private forum, but hey, more people can see this than a Facebook account.

Obviously others have seen it and her employer wants nothing to do with it or her

Stupidity has its consequences.

It would be no different if while I were in The Netherlands for my former employer GE and posting pics of me smoking a fat joint at a coffee shop on my FB page.

They would've let me go in a heartbeat, and I would deserve it.

Obviously others have seen it and her employer wants nothing to do with it or her

It would be no different if while I were in The Netherlands for my former employer GE and posting pics of me smoking a fat joint at a coffee shop on my FB page.

I don't think your employer should even be allowed to look at your facebook page, or take any action for things you do off the clock.

I'll ask you the same question, what if your employer found out you were posting smack about the president here, and he was an avid Obama supporter... Would he be within his rights to fire you?

If you as a business owner found out that one of your employee's did something uh, controversial nation wide and they found out she works for you and could tarnish your business, you wouldn't get rid of the problem?

I don't think your employer should even be allowed to look at your facebook page, or take any action for things you do off the clock.

I'll ask you the same question, what if your employer found out you were posting smack about the president here, and he was an avid Obama supporter... Would he be within his rights to fire you?

Bad example. I only heard of Romney business owners who "suggested" his people support romney. Obama supporters have more sense than to fire someone who differs from him politically.

Need examples? Coal, pizza, etc.

A picture no one but her friends was ever supposed to see.... I just can't see the outrage.

In my business, our company specifically gave training on social media. I guarantee you if someone in my company did something like she did, they would be fired as well.

If you as a business owner found out that one of your employee's did something uh, controversial nation wide and they found out she works for you and could tarnish your business, you wouldn't get rid of the problem?

Do you think anyone is going to actually remember this next week?

99.999% of the people won't care about this next week but there will be someone who does care and will remind people about it. There will always be someone out there who cares about something and will make sure we never forget.

I think this is really bad judgement on this woman's part. She should have thought before she acted. She did something stupid and now she has to live with the consequences. I hope she learned something from this and will think before she acts. No one died, just some feelings were hurt and all she got was fired from her job.

I'm more pissed that there needs to be sign placed there. It really should be a given that people show respect.

What right? She was being paid by her company to be there, she was on a company trip, during the day. Who knows if she was on or off the clock?

She has rights, she can file a complaint with the employment division.

Apparently, she has no clue or didn't take precautions to make her page private because many people saw it and looked it up. I can't tell you didn't see what my solution was but, I doubt you would agree with it either since it calls for the employee taking responsibility for their actions.

How do you know what they were doing? How do you know whether they we off the clock or not?

Could they have been at the cemetery for a team building exercise, because I seriously doubt with her brain, she would go there out of respect.

99.999% of the people won't care about this next week but there will be someone who does care and will remind people about it. There will always be someone out there who cares about something and will make sure we never forget.

I think this is really bad judgement on this woman's part. She should have thought before she acted. She did something stupid and now she has to live with the consequences. I hope she learned something from this and will think before she acts. No one died, just some feelings were hurt and all she got was fired from her job.

I'm more pissed that there needs to be sign placed there. It really should be a given that people show respect.

I agree, she may pay a heavy price for being an idiot. I to think it is ridiculous that a sign be placed. Sad how we have devolved.

What do you think a work trip is genius?

And I've seen it and so have many others. It doesn't matter who was supposed to have seen it genius. In fact, what do I care that we weren't supposed to know that she's a bitch? We know it know it now and it reflects upon her company.

And you just went straight fucktard pretending that this is a rich vs. poor issue.

Sorry, I'm not seeing how she needs to be held accountable for a picture.

Let's put it in a way your brain would understand.

Let's say that your boss is an Obama supporter, and he finds out about some of the smack you've been talking here about the President. He calls you into the office and fires your ass.

(This works on the unlikely premise you are gainfully employed or can hold down a job, bothof which seems pretty unlikely.)

Frankly, by your own standard, you are being "held accountable". You've said disrespectful things about the president. In a private forum, but hey, more people can see this than a Facebook account.

So you want to pretend that disrespecting dead vets is the same as who someone supports for president? You're an idiot.

You're like an asshole and you do stink LOL. Anyways, there's no reason not to post whatever number in its entirety (except there is no reason to post it at all). And you'll either call and spin your wheels or you won't call. Either way, it's a waste. I guess your personal voice outweighs a petition of 18,000 people? LMAO. Tell me; is your ego that large? Or do you just hold that tightly to your inept idealism?

Nope, unlike most of the leftist who hide behind others and petitions, I beleive in acting on my convictions. And you can bet if I say I'm going to do something I will. I am fully aware that I am one voice but sometimes that's all it takes, how many who signed the petition will take the time or effort to make personal contact, my guess, more than likely none.

How is this a left/right issue? Probably more conservatives signed it than anything. Conservatives respect the rights of employers to expect standards of their employees and those who died for our freedom. I don't know what hairbrained principle you think outweighs those principles.

Uhhh... The 1st Amendment maybe??

I think people need to grow a damned skin! The picture is a JOKE, a PRANK, and 18,000 people have 'Liked' a Facebook page calling for these girls to get FIRED over it!

Ridiculous!

She was working at the time. She and 9 of her coworkers were supervising 40 developmentally disabled clients on an outing. I have a developmentally disabled child who is an adult being taken care of by an organization similar to the one that employs her. My son's grandparents are buried in a military cemetery. He can't speak for himself, he's echolalic. Can you imagine if they took him on an outing to where his grandparents are buried and then disrespected his grandparents like that? They are people who can't say "Hey, my dad's buried here and you're being a jerk!" Imagine if she were a Kindergarten teacher taking her class on an outing and she did this? Well this is worse because they people she was in charge of can't go home and tell mommy and daddy what she did. Had she not posted that photo on Facebook, no one would have known about it. So not only is she disrespectful to the dead in front of the disabled, she's stupid about it as well. She has no excuse. She is 30 years old. Even her parents agree she was wrong.

Firing her was the right move. They also fired her coworker that took the picture, that too was the right move. I now wish them well in finding other jobs, as long as it's not working with the disabled. They need to find work where the people they work with can tell them they are being jerks when they are being jerks.

Forum List

Back