Woman's joke recieves backlash from public

There's no law against stupidity and ignorance, but that's no reason to expect that her actions shouldn't have consequences, is it?

So you appear to think schools and employeers should be able to control your actions even away from their establishments, I have to disagree. You should have no fear when exercising your rights, from the government or anyone else. Censorship hurts everyone.

She was actually working at the time. She was on an outing with 40 developmentally disabled clients and 9 other adults. What would you think if this was a kindergarten teacher on an outing with her students? Do you know the big difference between the 2? The kindergarteners can go home and tell mommy and daddy, those clients are pretty much prisoners and can't tell anyone.

Do you have ADD, stay on the subject instead of confusing the issue with BS hypotheticals. Her clients were more than likely laughing at her acting a fool and trust me the folks in the graves didn't mind a bit. As the great Red Skelton said, "don't take life too seriously, cause you atin't gonna get out it alive anyway". This lady screwed up, she realized it, she appologized, that should be the end of the story.

[

Oh grow up. She was on the clock, supposedly taking care of developmentally disabled adults. She and her photographer had no right to do this while working for someone else. And in case you're wondering, even if she was off the clock, she was still representing her company. She had the right to act like a total jerk, they had the right to fire her. And as a parent of a developmentally disabled child, I think they had the duty to fire her. People like that should not be around people who can't speak up for themselves. Most people are on their best behavior when they go out in public, especially when they are on the job. If this is this woman's best behavior, imagine what she's like with those developmentally disabled clients behind closed doors.

What's more, how many of these disabled adults now know how to give the finger and will be doing it in the most inappropriate situations because they don't understand? No, people like her and her photographer should not be working with special needs people.

If she was actually doing her job at the time, then MAYBE her boss has an argument. If there was other misconduct that could be documented, maybe they have an argument.

That's certainly not how I'm reading the story, though. What I'm reading is that she had someone snap a picture of her next to a sign, and she posted it on face book.

Well go and do some more reading because she did it WHILE on an outing for her work. She was one of 10 supervisors and there were 40 developmentally disabled clients with them.

So you appear to think schools and employeers should be able to control your actions even away from their establishments, I have to disagree. You should have no fear when exercising your rights, from the government or anyone else. Censorship hurts everyone.

She was actually working at the time. She was on an outing with 40 developmentally disabled clients and 9 other adults. What would you think if this was a kindergarten teacher on an outing with her students? Do you know the big difference between the 2? The kindergarteners can go home and tell mommy and daddy, those clients are pretty much prisoners and can't tell anyone.

Do you have ADD, stay on the subject instead of confusing the issue with BS hypotheticals. Her clients were more than likely laughing at her acting a fool and trust me the folks in the graves didn't mind a bit. As the great Red Skelton said, "don't take life too seriously, cause you atin't gonna get out it alive anyway". This lady screwed up, she realized it, she appologized, that should be the end of the story.

I am on the subject. More so than most. I have an adult developmentally disabled adult being taken care of by a company like LIFE. "Living Independently Forever". She works for LIFE. I called my son's program manager and asked him if a person that was working for him did this, what would be his reaction. I gave no indication of my personal feelings. His answer was "I cannot see the continued employment of such an individual with our company." I said, "She was joking." He said, "Even so, I can't see her working with our company anymore."

The thing you don't get is it's not what she did, although that in itself was in poor taste, it's that she did it while working with the disabled. No, it's right that she and her photographer were fired. They can now get jobs with people who can tell them they are being jerks when they are being jerks rather than a captive audience.

BTW, even if I did have ADD, that wouldn't negate my argument. While people with ADD may be considered developmentally disabled, the ones in a living situation like LIFE provides are much worse off than just ADD. Many of them can't speak up for themselves, they can't talk and they can't fight back. Most of them learn from example. This woman didn't care about her charges, it's obvious she shouldn't have been in charge in the first place and should never be in charge of such people in the future. 30 years old and she doesn't have the sense that God gave her.

Last edited:
What the hell are you talking about? She has every right to express herself, and her employer has every right to express themselves. It's not a one way street, it's a two way street. Be smart and your employers values you, being a dumb ass and your employer doesn't need you.

I don't think an employer should be able to fire you for conduct outside of work.

If your employer called you in tomorrow and said, "Hey, I just found out you're a Republican, clean out your desk", I don't think you'd be so understanding.

He sure the hell can, and if it bothers him that much, then he has every right to fire me. I also would not want to work for a dumb shit Democrat, hell, those ass holes believe that the only ones entitled to privilege is themselves.

Well, if you really desire that kind of Serfdom, have at it.

I'd rather live in a free country.

[qu

Well go and do some more reading because she did it WHILE on an outing for her work. She was one of 10 supervisors and there were 40 developmentally disabled clients with them.

Except none of her co-workers or clients said anything about it or thought anything about it at the time.

It only became a big deal when someone from the "Umbrage Police" saw it on Facebook.

I don't think an employer should be able to fire you for conduct outside of work.

If your employer called you in tomorrow and said, "Hey, I just found out you're a Republican, clean out your desk", I don't think you'd be so understanding.

He sure the hell can, and if it bothers him that much, then he has every right to fire me. I also would not want to work for a dumb shit Democrat, hell, those ass holes believe that the only ones entitled to privilege is themselves.

Well, if you really desire that kind of Serfdom, have at it.

I'd rather live in a free country.

I live in a free country, I'm free not to work with dumb ass Democrats that would fire you if you were a Republican.

I work for a company that values my work and appreciates my efforts, of course I appreciate my company and would not do anything to embarrass myself or my company.

[qu

Except none of her co-workers or clients said anything about it or thought anything about it at the time.

It only became a big deal when someone from the "Umbrage Police" saw it on Facebook.

It is giving her company a bad name, cry, throw a fit, but the bottom line, the owner of the company has rights, just as the employee does. She exercised her rights and the company is allowed to exercise theirs. It cuts both ways, too bad for you.

[qu

It is giving her company a bad name, cry, throw a fit, but the bottom line, the owner of the company has rights, just as the employee does. She exercised her rights and the company is allowed to exercise theirs. It cuts both ways, too bad for you.

Well, no, not really... frankly, I have to wonder about these people who found out who she was, who she worked for and created a website to try to get her fired... That's kind of scary.

Wow what a stupid thing to get worked up or fired over.

Wow what a stupid thing to get worked up or fired over.

You have to remember why the Umbrage Police are getting worked up.

The vast majority of them never served in the military themselves.

so they get all worked up when they see a slight to the miiltary, no matter how small.

Frankly, I consider it an outrage that an employer can fire someone for conduct outside work. This is certainly not the kind of freedom I was protecting when I was in.

There's no law against stupidity and ignorance, but that's no reason to expect that her actions shouldn't have consequences, is it?

Really?

So you will, from this point forward, never judge another person and stop arguing politics. Because to do so is in direct violation of your alleged principle.

No one denies what she did was stupid.

It just wasn't firable. Or it shouldn't be in a free country.

Freedom has its responsibilities. She used her freedom, her boss used his freedom.

Her boss has the freedom to disapprove of what she did.

He does not have the freedom to fire her without cause, unless it was SPECIFICALLY job related.

She was on company time, she did it ON THE JOB!

[qu

Not saying anything is not the same as not knowing about it or approving of it. As I said, many developmentally disabled people can't speak. And her co-workers were probably too busy with their own charges to notice.

And yes, her mistake was posting it on Facebook. She didn't just get caught, she bragged and that's what did her in. 30 years old. Her parents said she was always doing stuff like this and they begged her to be careful what she put on Facebook. Her father even said if she got fired, it was her fault.

She was on company time, she did it ON THE JOB!

Let's not indulge his lack of comprehension.

Then why did they not fire her until someone saw it on Facebook?

If they fired her on teh spot, you guys MIGHT have an argument.

Because the boss wasn't there to see. He didn't know about it until it went viral. Not only did she have the lack of judgement to behave properly on the job, but she bragged about it on Facebook. Had she kept her mouth shut, she'd may (or may not) still be working. I'm betting however, that sooner or later she would have been caught doing something inappropriate at work that would have gotten her fired anyway.

Forum List

Back