Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder

You keep saying that. I still want to know what doesn't add up about it.

Like I said, the story was short on details about anything, including about the man who was arrested. Additionally, it didn't make sense that a burglar would go looking for people who were hiding. This is the age of cell phones. If you're a burglar, you don't even want to be inside a house when the residents are there unless you're there without their knowledge (like a cat burglar). Otherwise, the burglar will just leave and look for an empty house. And why did the burglar enter in the first place? Was there no car in the driveway? The woman said she saw him from the second floor. So, I assume it was daytime since it wouldn't make sense for him to enter at night with the lights on. So, he breaks in to the house to steal something and then goes looking for people who are hiding? Doesn't make sense to me unless he's there for a reason that has nothing to do with a garden variety burglary. And then there's the fact that the woman shot the guy so many times. That seems out of the ordinary as well.

There's probably nothing else going on. But often if there IS something else going on, a story about a crime will seem sketchy.

Ever consider the possibility that he is more than a burglar?

Maybe the story is sketchy because the asshole's in the hospital in serious condition, and it's tough to get much out of him?

Like I said, the story was short on details about anything, including about the man who was arrested. Additionally, it didn't make sense that a burglar would go looking for people who were hiding. This is the age of cell phones. If you're a burglar, you don't even want to be inside a house when the residents are there unless you're there without their knowledge (like a cat burglar). Otherwise, the burglar will just leave and look for an empty house. And why did the burglar enter in the first place? Was there no car in the driveway? The woman said she saw him from the second floor. So, I assume it was daytime since it wouldn't make sense for him to enter at night with the lights on. So, he breaks in to the house to steal something and then goes looking for people who are hiding? Doesn't make sense to me unless he's there for a reason that has nothing to do with a garden variety burglary. And then there's the fact that the woman shot the guy so many times. That seems out of the ordinary as well.

There's probably nothing else going on. But often if there IS something else going on, a story about a crime will seem sketchy.

Ever consider the possibility that he is more than a burglar?

Maybe the story is sketchy because the asshole's in the hospital in serious condition, and it's tough to get much out of him?

Nah, that can't be it.

Additionally, it didn't make sense that a burglar would go looking for people who were hiding.

Why does it matter? Either way, the fact is that he broke into someone's home. That alone is sufficient to give the residents reason to fear for their lives.

This is my whole point regarding the story. It doesn't add up. If he was there to steal items, he wouldn't have done this. He would have tried to get in, gather some valuables, and get out quick. So, perhaps he was there for reasons yet not revealed. For example, maybe her husband (or someone else) specifically sent him to the residence to commit a violent crime against the occupants. And frankly, on the surface, the woman's actions in going to such great lengths to hide, suggest she may have been aware that this was more than just a simple burglary.

OBVIOUSLY he was there for reasons other than simple burglary, and what doesn't "add up" about that to you? And oh my fucking GOD, how does your mind jump to "maybe her husband sent him to commit violent acts" as the possible alternative over the more obvious one, ie. he's a violent rapist/nut?

"Great lengths to hide"? How great a length would YOU go to to hide if you have young children with you? Personally, I'd have stood right there and blown his ass back out the freaking door - because I'd have had a much more powerful gun on hand than she did - but clearly I'm a lot meaner than she is.

Honestly, I just find the way your mind works disturbing.

In the age of cell phones, how often do you think that burglars who are intent on stealing valuables in order to turn around and sell them for a quick buck go around from floor to floor looking for people who may be hiding in the house scared? You think that's normal behavior for a burglar?

A lowlife crooks have normal behavior? Could the criminal have been high on something? That could lead to erratic behavior.

This is a perfect example of a gun owner doing everything right.

She kept the revolver in a safe so that her kids couldn't access it. She had the training to use it properly. She didn't shoot anyone who wasn't inside her house. Nobody on the left is criticizing how she behaved, because there's no reason to criticize in this situation.

The health risks of owning a gun are so established and scientifically non-controvertible that the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy statement in 2000 recommending that pediatricians urge parents to remove all guns from their homes.

http://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2012/12/health-risk-having-gun-home
..... a 2009 epidemiological study at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine found that people who possessed a gun were 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those who did not.

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/12/17/guns-dont-make-you-safer&view=comments
..... in 72% of unintentional deaths and injuries, suicide and suicide attempts, the firearm was stored in the residence of the victim.

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/ca/gunsafe.pdf
Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder - These kinds of stories get the media coverage but to put things in their proper perspective, "people are 21 times more likely to be killed by someone they know than a stranger breaking into the house." (http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-kellermann.htm)

Statistically, keeping a gun in the home brings a far greater risk that it will injure/kill somebody in that household than it will ever be used to stop an intruder, but those incidents are rarely reported.

- 680 Americans were killed accidentally with guns each year between 2003 and 2007, half those victims were under the age of 25.

- children aged 5 to 14 in the United States are 11 times more likely to die from an accidental gunshot wound than children in other developed countries.

- fewer than 30% of burglaries in the United States (2003-2007) occur when someone is at home.

- in the 7% of burglaries when violence does occur, the burglar is more likely to be an intimate (current or former) and also more likely to be a relative or known acquaintance than a stranger.

- only 5% of all the crimes of violence perpetrated by strangers occur at home

- homeowners literally have a greater chance of being stung to death by bees than being killed in his/her home by an intruder

Last edited:
The health risks of owning a gun are so established and scientifically non-controvertible that the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy statement in 2000 recommending that pediatricians urge parents to remove all guns from their homes.

The health risk of having a gun in the home | MinnPost

These kinds of stories get the media coverage but the reality is that in 78% of all homicides the shooter and the victim know each other - family member, friend, acquaintance.

- 680 Americans were killed accidentally with guns each year between 2003 and 2007. Half those victims were under the age of 25.

- children aged 5 to 14 in the United States are 11 times more likely to die from an accidental gunshot wound than children in other developed countries.

- an average of 46 Americans committed suicide with guns each day between 2003 and 2007. In fact, more Americans killed themselves with guns during those years than with all other methods combined

Statistically, keeping a gun in the home brings a far greater risk that it will injure/kill somebody in that household than it will ever be used to stop an intruder.

I know two people who were almost shot by an improperly handled firearm. I know zero who have defended themselves from a crime with a firearm.

I know one guy who used karate and put the attacker in the hospital with a broken jaw.

And I know if I was staking out a place to rob it wouldn't be MY home because we have a dog that could easily be mistaken for a small black bear.

FBI Survey

Storage Practices: Among homes with children and firearms
- 28% do not always keep guns locked in a secure place
- 25% only “occasionally” lock and store the bullets separate from the
gun
- 48% do not regularly make sure that guns are equipped with child
safety and trigger locks
- in 30% of hand gun owning homes, the gun was stored unlocked and
loaded at the time of the survey

Accessibility
- in 72% of unintentional deaths and injuries, suicide and suicide attempts, the firearm was stored in the residence of the victim
- 47% of high school kids and 22% of middle school kids said they could get a gun
- 6% of high school kids said they had carried a gun to school within the last 30 days

Every gun owner, including the ones in this forum, will swear on a stack of Bibles that they practice gun in their home BUT "47% of high school kids and 22% of middle school kids said they could get a gun" and in "30% of hand gun owning homes, the gun was stored unlocked and loaded at the time of the survey."

Last edited:
Not 30 miles from here... and a perfect example of why larger magazines are a good thing.

6 shots, 6 hits and the sonofabitch STILL didn't die!!

It anything its proof that we don't need larger mags. She didn't need to unload all 6 shots at him. She didn't need to unload her entire mag on him. Actually she was 5/6 not 6/6.

Anyway Why did he HAVE to die. Thats excessive force. She had already shot him enough.

"She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said."

There's a point where enough is enough.

When news organizations are printing the names and addresses of gun owners, they should buy larger magazines (chances are, if people are going to target them, it will be an "invasion" with numerous people). They should sue the news organization to pay for those magazines. If someone breaks into your home, you should be able to use deadly force against them, until "you" feel safe (without having a judgemental, bigoted, wuss telling them how much is enough).

A lot of innocent people are going to die if we ban guns. The left has enough blood on its hands...

We already have far, far, far more innocent people die then any other civilized country because we have so many guns.

These weak bans don't help because the country is still flooded with guns. We need a very strong ban enforced with overwhelming power where the natonal guard or military goes house to house across the country, and forcefully removes guns from every home. Thats the only way to solve the problem of the rediculous amount of gun violence. Simply arming everyone doesn't solve anything it simply leads to far more innocent people getting killed.

By the way I am a Christian who knows Jesus Christ as my personal Lord, and Savior, and I find it disgusting that so many Christians idolize guns, and put them on the same level as the Bible. Guns are a idol to many people who claim to be Christians.

Christ never had a problem with people defending themselves (HE even speaks of how great it is to lay your life down for others). HE did have a problem with people using the Bible to manipulate others. If you want to declare yourself judge and tell us what is others' hearts (idolizing guns), there are some things in the Bible about that, too.

The people that carry (Bibles and guns) use one to live by, and the other to keep other people from stopping them from following the first! But maybe you think slavery is a good thing. Maybe you think an "elite", self proclaimed false god is preferable to people making their own decisions.

I do think that when you buy a gun, you should have to take a course in how to use it, clean it, and store it, unless of course, you already have a gun and have taken the course before. You should also be required to pass the class before getting the gun.

I passed a course when I was 12. I owned my first gun about that time. Do I need to pass another course here in Alabama?

Wonder how all those "citizens" in the last two hundred and thirty years learned to shoot firearms without the problems we are having today (personally, I think it was because their education, which may have been extremelyl poor, INCLUDED THE BIBLE!). Another bigot that believes you must have a slip of paper stating that you know how to do something, when you don't need that slip of paper (it is a tax).

I passed a course when I was 12. I owned my first gun about that time. Do I need to pass another course here in Alabama?

Wonder how all those "citizens" in the last two hundred and thirty years learned to shoot firearms without the problems we are having today (personally, I think it was because their education, which may have been extremelyl poor, INCLUDED THE BIBLE!). Another bigot that believes you must have a slip of paper stating that you know how to do something, when you don't need that slip of paper (it is a tax).

I believe they were taught by their parents before.

FBI Survey

Storage Practices: Among homes with children and firearms
- 28% do not always keep guns locked in a secure place
- 25% only “occasionally” lock and store the bullets separate from the
gun
- 48% do not regularly make sure that guns are equipped with child
safety and trigger locks
- in 30% of hand gun owning homes, the gun was stored unlocked and
loaded at the time of the survey

Accessibility
- in 72% of unintentional deaths and injuries, suicide and suicide attempts, the firearm was stored in the residence of the victim
- 47% of high school kids and 22% of middle school kids said they could get a gun
- 6% of high school kids said they had carried a gun to school within the last 30 days

Every gun owner, including the ones in this forum, will swear on a stack of Bibles that they practice gun in their home BUT "47% of high school kids and 22% of middle school kids said they could get a gun" and in "30% of hand gun owning homes, the gun was stored unlocked and loaded at the time of the survey."

There are "laws on the books" for stealing firearms. Those cases rarely make it to court, let alone have anyone sentenced for those crimes. Why don't we start enforcing the laws that we do have, instead of making up new laws that will not be enforced, either? Eric Holder will go ahead and break any new laws, to further the agenda of removing freedoms stated in the Constitution. He will not enforce laws that "protect" those freedoms.
Example:
Arizona's laws on illegal immigration that "reinforced" the federal laws (his boss sues the state)
DOMA, not enforced (it is a law), and he has sworn to uphold the laws, yet he is highly selective.

..... a 2009 epidemiological study at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine found that people who possessed a gun were 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those who did not.

Guns Don't Make You Safer | Slog
..... in 72% of unintentional deaths and injuries, suicide and suicide attempts, the firearm was stored in the residence of the victim.

Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder - These kinds of stories get the media coverage but to put things in their proper perspective, "people are 21 times more likely to be killed by someone they know than a stranger breaking into the house." (A gun in the home increases personal safety)

Statistically, keeping a gun in the home brings a far greater risk that it will injure/kill somebody in that household than it will ever be used to stop an intruder, but those incidents are rarely reported.

- 680 Americans were killed accidentally with guns each year between 2003 and 2007, half those victims were under the age of 25.

- fewer than 30% of burglaries in the United States (2003-2007) occur when someone is at home.

- in the 7% of burglaries when violence does occur, the burglar is more likely to be an intimate (current or former) and also more likely to be a relative or known acquaintance than a stranger.

- only 5% of all the crimes of violence perpetrated by strangers occur at home

- homeowners literally have a greater chance of being stung to death by bees than being killed in his/her home by an intruder

54 people died from bee stings out of 300 million in one year. Are you saying that less than that died by people breaking into someone’s home? I looked for a stat that backed up your claim and I could not find it. If so that seems really, really low. Unusually low.

Bee Sting Facts

These kinds of stories get the media coverage but the reality is that in 78% of all homicides the shooter and the victim know each other - family member, friend, acquaintance.

- 680 Americans were killed accidentally with guns each year between 2003 and 2007. Half those victims were under the age of 25.

- an average of 46 Americans committed suicide with guns each day between 2003 and 2007. In fact, more Americans killed themselves with guns during those years than with all other methods combined

Statistically, keeping a gun in the home brings a far greater risk that it will injure/kill somebody in that household than it will ever be used to stop an intruder.

I know two people who were almost shot by an improperly handled firearm. I know zero who have defended themselves from a crime with a firearm.

I know one guy who used karate and put the attacker in the hospital with a broken jaw.

And I know if I was staking out a place to rob it wouldn't be MY home because we have a dog that could easily be mistaken for a small black bear.

Gosh, how important and relevant is it to me to hear about people YOU PERSONALLY know? Particularly when you consider that I would consider spitting on YOU to be a waste of perfectly good saliva, how much store am I likely to put by anyone who would be acquainted with you?

Completely aside from that, don't you leftists ever think it says something about you and how totally isolated from the real world you are that you NEVER, EVER know anyone whose attitudes and behaviors are any different from yours? I'm put in mind of the famous leftist twat who, upon hearing that a Republican had been elected President, said, "I don't see how that could be. No one I know voted for him."

Means nothing to me that you're an ignorant, clumsy broad who couldn't be trusted with a sharp steak knife, let alone a gun, and you don't know anyone else who could reliably identify his own ass from his left elbow. Just makes me glad I have better taste in friends.

Last edited:

I believe they were taught by their parents before.

As I was. Some of my friends who's fathers were not gun owners learned how to handle a weapon in Boy Scouts. In those days (early 60's) in Connecticut, you had to have a paper that said you had passed a course and could handle a weapon safely in order to get a hunting license. The NRA sent instructors to Scout meetings to teach the course.

The woman was a great shot!!

Chapman said Slater has four exit wounds."

A-Hah! That explains why the original report was that she only shot him five times -- six in, four out, makes ten holes, divide by two equals five rounds.

Except, two of those six bullets are still in the felonious a-hole, because handguns really aren't very powerful, and their bullets frequently don't penetrate the skin on the way out.

She and the twins would have been in serious trouble if there had been more than one intruder. Handguns have very little stopping power.

Yup, the lady was a good shot; but I'll bet that for valentine's day, her hubs buys her an AK-47!

-- Take that, suckah! . . . . . . . . :Boom2:

-- Paravani

Last edited:
We need a very strong ban enforced with overwhelming power where the natonal guard or military goes house to house across the country, and forcefully removes guns from every home.

The very thought of the government doing such a thing is positive reason enough to justify preserving the second amendment, and having no restrictions on guns whatsoever. I feel dirty simply for reading that. I don't know what's worse: The sheer ridiculousness of such a suggestion, or the immense evil of such a suggestion.

You did read the article, right?

The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.

9 more slugs and this wouldn't have happened. What if he'd run over a couple kids while "attempting to flee"?

Would you still have the same opinion?

What if there were two intruders, or four?

Forum List

Back