Woman denied haircut, files human rights complaint

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
While this happened in Canada, considering how the left lied about what was going on in Arizona, it is going to happen here sooner or later..

Woman denied haircut by barbers | CTV News

Barbers in Toronto who refused to cut a woman’s hair have become the target of a human rights complaint, in a case that pits religious freedom against gender equality.

When Faith McGregor went into the Terminal Barber Shop requesting a short haircut, she was told the shop only grooms men.

The reason, co-owner Omar Mahrouk said, was that as a Muslim he could not cut the hair of a woman who was not related to him.

But for McGregor, the rejection of her patronage amounted to sexism.

“Fundamentally, my hair is the same as their male clients, so why would they have a problem with that,” she told CTV News.

“I felt like a second class citizen, like it was hard to hear that they refused and there was no discussion."

So the 35-year-old filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

Under the law, business owners aren’t supposed to discriminate based on gender, but Mahrouk felt he had religious rights.

A lawyer for the owners also says in their defence they've only ever trained to cut men's hair and that they'd bought a barbershop on the expectation they would only have to serve male clientele.

The Terminal bills itself as “the oldest standing barber shop in Toronto,” offering haircuts, massages and hot lather shaves “in a classic barber shop setting,” since 1925.

Its client list includes former prime minister Paul Martin and actor Woody Harrelson, who can be seen posing with the owners in a photograph on the shop’s website.

Some are standing behind the barbershop’s owners, pointing out that there are women-only spas and gyms.

“If I wanted to have a specialized business geared just towards men that wanted hot razor shaves and cuts, why not,” said Sean Gibson of the Ontario Barber Association.

But McGregor disagrees and is hoping to force the shop to service women too.

Her case goes to mediation in the new year.

Cutting hair is not serving God. Neither is baking a cake. If either of those can only be done by your faith as serving God, do them at your church. There you can set your one rules, within reason.

Muslims deny people service in the united states all the time. At airports if you have a bottle of wine or liquor in your suitcase they can deny you service. The law as it stands is any business owner / employee including cab drivers have the right to deny service to anyone they choose. They do not have to give a reason for denying service. ( to anyone )

Barbers are not trained to cut women's hair.

not quite correct.

Hair is hair.... cutting hair is all the same. "Barbers" are not skilled in styling women's hair cuts.

I am quite sure a "barber" could cut a straight line trim off the bottom of hair. I am not trained and even i can do that.

More idiotic crap from the minds of gimme gimme gimme liberals

Cutting hair is not serving God. Neither is baking a cake. If either of those can only be done by your faith as serving God, do them at your church. There you can set your one rules, within reason.

Muslim cab drivers have denied homosexual couples rides before who didn't have alchohol in their baggage. As I stated before, a business owner doesn't have to give a reason for denying service. It is up to them. Some will, some won't. That's America.

Muslims deny people service in the united states all the time. At airports if you have a bottle of wine or liquor in your suitcase they can deny you service. The law as it stands is any business owner / employee including cab drivers have the right to deny service to anyone they choose. They do not have to give a reason for denying service. ( to anyone )
That is incorrect, although the taxi issue does come up, and shouldn't.

Muslim cab drivers have denied homosexual couples rides before who didn't have alchohol in their baggage. As I stated before, a business owner doesn't have to give a reason for denying service. It is up to them. Some will, some won't. That's America.
That is America of the soon to be past.

No it isn't. I've heard of it happening before. Funny how some religions get raked over the coals for saying no to gays but when a Muslim tells them no they suddenly develop amnesia. The hypocrisy is stunning and the silence duly noted.

If you are referring to Taxi Drivers I think you are, they lost that lawsuit.

Appeals Court backs MAC on Muslim taxi drivers | Star Tribune

They even wanted to refuse service to blind people with service dogs.

Are you sure? Obama said there is no future for those who disrespect the prophet Mohammad or the religion of Islam. You might want to check with him first. Forcing a Muslim to service homosexuals is the very definition of oppression and grounds for jihad. I think this discussion is over now. Have a nice day and be kind to all people. Not just those you like. - Jeri

In the early 70's my old man was the only barber in a small town. He refused to cut my friends hair if he thought it was "too long". It was embarrassing and I thiink revenge for my below the shoulders locks. He wore an earring (ex sailor). My friends thought that was a little...you know.

Wondering if the world ever "grows up".

Are you sure? Obama said there is no future for those who disrespect the prophet Mohammad or the religion of Islam. You might want to check with him first. Forcing a Muslim to service homosexuals is the very definition of oppression and grounds for jihad. I think this discussion is over now. Have a nice day and be kind to all people. Not just those you like. - Jeri
The rule is simple. Business is business, keep your faith out of making a buck.

If you are referring to Taxi Drivers I think you are, they lost that lawsuit.

Appeals Court backs MAC on Muslim taxi drivers | Star Tribune

They even wanted to refuse service to blind people with service dogs.

Interesting, Shroom. Thanks for the news link.

The LIB bitch knew what was going to happen at the barber shop. 'She belongs to a radical LIB group who spends their pathetic lives trying to promote their radical LIB agenda.
If I were the owner of the barber shop I'd tell her to shove her radical LIB agenda up her well padded ass.

I wonder if she went to school to become a professional litigant or if it is a career she just fell into?

You can have that rule.. The nice thing about living in America is that your personal rules don't have to be my rules.

It's called Freedom. Look it up sometime.

Actually the rule in America is business is business when business owners say it is and they don't need an excuse to deny service to any customer. Those are the facts.

With that said, I'm a christian and if I owned a bakery store I'd sell a cake to them just as I would to any other person buying a cake. It's a cake. Not me attending a rally for gays. I wouldn't have a problem with it but for Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, any other person who would have a problem with it ---> they have the right to deny business. The law is already there. End of story. So much drama over a cake. Incredible. How many cake stores are there in America anyhow?? Is there a cake shortage we didn't know about?

No, that is not "the rule."

Forum List

Back