Woman Dead in Bed 8 Months Despite Daily Visits

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
WILMINGTON, N.C. — The body of an elderly woman remained in her bed for up to eight months even though caretakers paid daily visits to the house and kept it tidy, authorities said Wednesday.

Sheriff's deputies were investigating the suspicious death of Blanche Matilda Roth after the corpse was found in her suburban home in Wilmington, on the Atlantic coast, on Tuesday following a call to 911.

New Hanover County Deputy Charles Smith said Roth likely died in May, before her 88th birthday in September. Her body was found after the 911 caller, whose identity was being withheld by authorities, reported that an elderly woman in the home was unconscious and not breathing.

Smith said caretakers had been going in and out of the house on a quiet cul-de-sac on a daily basis. He would not specify if the caretakers were family members but said they were not nurses. At least four other people also lived in the house, a neighbor said.

Failure to report a death is a felony in North Carolina.

Good Lord!! How could anyone not smell the stench of decomp? If they didn't know it was decomp you'd think someone would have at least gone in and checked her underwear for poop.

If this was the caretaker treatment she was getting while she was still alive I think everybody should go down on elder abuse charges as well. No one fed her? No one changed the sheets? No one bathed her or changed her clothes? No one checked on her or spoke to her?

Pedersen, 55, said four other family members, a married couple and two sons, lived in the house and that a younger son went to school every day.
:cuckoo:

WILMINGTON, N.C. — The body of an elderly woman remained in her bed for up to eight months even though caretakers paid daily visits to the house and kept it tidy, authorities said Wednesday.

Sheriff's deputies were investigating the suspicious death of Blanche Matilda Roth after the corpse was found in her suburban home in Wilmington, on the Atlantic coast, on Tuesday following a call to 911.

New Hanover County Deputy Charles Smith said Roth likely died in May, before her 88th birthday in September. Her body was found after the 911 caller, whose identity was being withheld by authorities, reported that an elderly woman in the home was unconscious and not breathing.

Smith said caretakers had been going in and out of the house on a quiet cul-de-sac on a daily basis. He would not specify if the caretakers were family members but said they were not nurses. At least four other people also lived in the house, a neighbor said.

Failure to report a death is a felony in North Carolina.

How ridiculous is that?

Her body was found after the 911 caller, whose identity was being withheld by authorities, reported that an elderly woman in the home was unconscious and not breathing.

Unconscious and not breathing? He didn't report she was . . . . decomposing??? Wtf? They didn't notice she was dead? <sniff, sniff> Something stinks and it isn't the dead woman.

You guys are jumping to conclusions.

What if the old lady had acted no differently in the last 8 months than in the preceding 2 or 3 months?

What if she unfortunately smelled the same..

I'm sorry but in NC, in the summer, nobody noticed a dead body in that house?

Her body was found after the 911 caller, whose identity was being withheld by authorities, reported that an elderly woman in the home was unconscious and not breathing.

Unconscious and not breathing? He didn't report she was . . . . decomposing??? Wtf? They didn't notice she was dead? <sniff, sniff> Something stinks and it isn't the dead woman.

Some very very old women are so undernourished and dry and dessicated that depending on the environment in which they live (and die) there may not be a whole lotta decomposing going on.

Odd, but true.

You guys are jumping to conclusions.

What if the old lady had acted no differently in the last 8 months than in the preceding 2 or 3 months?

Someone would still have been changing her bed sheets or her clothing you would think..... No this is obvious attempt at fraud. Besides being eerily sick.

I had a great grand mother years ago that would almost never leave her bed room, and was mean enough that almost no one else dared enter except my grandmother. And she did only to deliver food.

I had a great grand mother years ago that would almost never leave her bed room, and was mean enough that almost no one else dared enter except my grandmother. And she did only to deliver food.

Another point, no one thought that after a few months the ole lady needed something to eat or drink? These people need locked up. For a long long time.

Forum List

Back