Without Quotas.. what elite admissions actually look like

Yes, if merit were the only consideration for entrance, then Asian people and Caucasian (especially Jewish) people would fill almost all of the seats.

But it is too hurtful to tell two certain ethnicities that they should forget attending college.

So it is understandable that most universities now use affirmative action to make sure that there is some diversity.

Yes, I know that this means some qualified Asian and Caucasians will be unable to attend the university of their choice, but they have to understand that everyone must do his/her part for societal peace and harmony in our unique country.

Personally, I am delighted to hear that Caltech does NOT have quotas. When it comes to the sciences, we want the most competent graduates.

We should NOT forget, however, that there are some non-Asian and non-Caucasian secondary school students who are equally as intelligent as Asians and Caucasians. If given a chance, they CAN do well in the sciences, too. They do not need to major in the fine arts in order to get a degree -- IMHO.

Getting into prestigious universities is simply not the goal of most African American students. Asian parents and many white parents define themselves and their success by acceptance to elite Universities, while many black parents do not. Many black parents, especially those who graduated from HBCUs, want their kids to go to HBCUs like Howard, Morehouse, Spellman, etc. Blacks simply do not value attending such elite universities to the degree that Asians and Whites define themselves by such.

What insulting nonsense

I am 53. My parents generation were not allowed into white universities and neither were their antecedents. Historically Black Colleges and Universities is where they had no choice but to go. Most of those in my generation also went to HCBUs, because they felt more accepted and respected than at majority white institutions. Most African Americans do not want to attend universities where there are few African Americans UNLESS they were raised in environments where there were few African Americans. Even those who are reared in such environments often attend HBCU by choice because they want an experience that they have never had in being in a majority black environment. Also, blacks tend not to choose STEM curriculum, where as Asians seems to gravitate toward those curriculum. Now....I wish more AA were interested in the STEM curriculum but because they are not the best and brightest young AA high school graduates do not seek to matriculate into schools like Cal Tech or MIT.

Offensive nonsense

Yes, if merit were the only consideration for entrance, then Asian people and Caucasian (especially Jewish) people would fill almost all of the seats.

But it is too hurtful to tell two certain ethnicities that they should forget attending college.

So it is understandable that most universities now use affirmative action to make sure that there is some diversity.

Yes, I know that this means some qualified Asian and Caucasians will be unable to attend the university of their choice, but they have to understand that everyone must do his/her part for societal peace and harmony in our unique country.

Personally, I am delighted to hear that Caltech does NOT have quotas. When it comes to the sciences, we want the most competent graduates.

We should NOT forget, however, that there are some non-Asian and non-Caucasian secondary school students who are equally as intelligent as Asians and Caucasians. If given a chance, they CAN do well in the sciences, too. They do not need to major in the fine arts in order to get a degree -- IMHO.

Getting into prestigious universities is simply not the goal of most African American students. Asian parents and many white parents define themselves and their success by acceptance to elite Universities, while many black parents do not. Many black parents, especially those who graduated from HBCUs, want their kids to go to HBCUs like Howard, Morehouse, Spellman, etc. Blacks simply do not value attending such elite universities to the degree that Asians and Whites define themselves by such.

What insulting nonsense

I am 53. My parents generation were not allowed into white universities and neither were their antecedents. Historically Black Colleges and Universities is where they had no choice but to go. Most of those in my generation also went to HCBUs, because they felt more accepted and respected than at majority white institutions. Most African Americans do not want to attend universities where there are few African Americans UNLESS they were raised in environments where there were few African Americans. Even those who are reared in such environments often attend HBCU by choice because they want an experience that they have never had in being in a majority black environment. Also, blacks tend not to choose STEM curriculum, where as Asians seems to gravitate toward those curriculum. Now....I wish more AA were interested in the STEM curriculum but because they are not the best and brightest young AA high school graduates do not seek to matriculate into schools like Cal Tech or MIT.

Offensive nonsense
Offensive to whom? You? Truth is offensive to liars......so saying something is offensive is not saying much.

What insulting nonsense

Offensive nonsense
Offensive to whom? You? Truth is offensive to liars......so saying something is offensive is not saying much.

You consider yourself the arbiter of “truth”?

You all seem to be making a big deal about the low percentage of blacks....
Your usual BS!
Of course Blacks want to get into Good Colleges... AND. Good High Schools I named in 2 of my 3 posts.
You're a G-D Liar.
They and their few parents absolutely DO.

Apparently they also don't care care about doing more poorly on tests for 50 years country-wide/worldwide either.
LOFL.

And it would be less of an issue if they weren't Stealing deservant admission positions of others.
`

The myth of dumb black people getting spots we did not deserve again ?

There have been people who have tried (And failed) to be prove that this is true

Let me introduce Vijay Chokalingam......
Let me give you the overall numbers, not a Dishonest/Stupid ANECDOTE.

Statistics Indicate an Ivy League Asian Quota
Statistics Indicate an Ivy League Asian Quota - NYTimes.com

Ron Unz is a software developer and publisher of The American Conservative, where he elaborated on these thoughts in a recent article . He is a graduate of Harvard University.
MAY 9, 2013​

and ie,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/04/some-asian-students-dont-_n_1128037.html

"..."I didn't want to put `Asian' down," Olmstead says, "because my mom told me there's discrimination against Asians in the application process."
For years, many Asian-Americans have been convinced that it's harder for them to gain admission to the nation's top colleges.
[......]
Now, an unknown number of students are responding to this concern by declining to identify themselves as Asian on their applications.

For those with only one Asian parent, whose names don't give away their heritage, that decision can be relatively easy. Harder are the questions that it raises: What's behind the admissions difficulties? What, exactly, is an Asian-American – and is being one a choice?

Olmstead is a freshman at Harvard and a member of HAPA, the Half-Asian People's Association. In high school she had a perfect 4.0 grade-point average and scored 2150 out of a possible 2400 on the SAT, which she calls "pretty low."

College applications ask for parent information, so Olmstead knows that admissions officers could figure out a student's background that way. She did write in the word "multiracial" on her own application.

Still, she would advise students with one Asian parent to "check whatever race is not Asian."

"Not to really generalize, but a lot of Asians, they have Perfect SATs, perfect GPAs, ... so it's hard to let them all in," Olmstead says.

Amalia Halikias is a Yale freshman whose mother was born in America to Chinese immigrants; her father is a Greek immigrant. She also checked only the "white" box on her application.

"As someone who was applying with relatively strong scores, I didn't want to be grouped into that stereotype," Halikias says. "I didn't want to be written off as one of the 1.4 billion Asians that were applying."
[.......]
"...Studies show that Asian-Americans meet these colleges' admissions standards far Out of Proportion to their 6% representation in the U.S. population, and that they often need test scores hundreds of points higher than applicants from other ethnic groups to have an equal chance of admission. Critics say these numbers, along with the fact that some
top colleges with race-blind admissions have Double the Asian percentage of Ivy League schools, prove the existence of discrimination.

[......]
"...Asian students have higher average SAT scores than any other group, including whites.
***A study by Princeton sociologist Thomas Espenshade examined applicants to top colleges from 1997, when the maximum SAT score was 1600 (today it's 2400).
Espenshade found that Asian-Americans needed a 1550 SAT to have an equal chance of getting into an elite college as White students with a 1410 or Black students with an 1100.

Top schools that don't ask about race in admissions process have very high percentages of Asian students. The California Institute of Technology, a private school that chooses Not to consider race, is about one-third Asian. (13% of California residents have Asian heritage.) The University of California-Berkeley, which is forbidden by state law to consider race in admissions, is more than 40% Asian – up from about 20% before the law was passed......​

Asians students are roughly 3x over-represented at Ivy League schools and it would be 4x or 5x or maybe 6x without quotas.
`

Last edited:
Want to see what a Bias Free, Quota Free, Top school, admission profile looks like?
First, a focus on arguably the Best college in the country.. and why.
The graph/numbers still above.
This is one of the Only top colleges without a Racial admissions policy. One that's Asian student body keeps climbing along with the number of advanced Asian students, unlike the Bigoted Ivy League schools who've All put/Capped/Quota-ed Asians at app ±16%.

Why Caltech Is in a Class by Itself | Minding The Campus
By Russell K. Nieli - Dec 9, 2010
[....]
Toward a Pure Meritocracy

Of the top two dozen or so elite universities in America only one has managed both to avoid the craziness of the post-60s intellectual fads, and to establish something pretty close to a pure meritocracy - California Institute of Technology
, which has not received the general recognition among academics that it clearly deserves.

The stats on Caltech's students and faculty are simply spellbinding. An entering Caltech freshman last year who received a 770 on the math SAT would be exceeded in this area by 3/4 of his fellow entering freshmen. Many Caltech freshmen got a perfect 800 on their math SAT, while a near-perfect 1560 combination score placed an incoming freshmen at only the 75th percentile of his..classmates..

What this means is that at Caltech, there are no dumb jocks, dumb legacies, or dumb Affirmative Action students... Perhaps the most striking difference from all other elite universities - including institutions like MIT and the University of Chicago which forgo athletic recruitment - is Caltech's complete Indifference to Racial balancing.
In a state and a region of the country with the largest Hispanic population, Caltech's entering freshmen class in 2008 was less than 6% Hispanic (13 out of 236). The unwillingness to lower standards for a larger Black representation is even more striking - less than 1% (2/236) of Caltech's 2008 entering freshmen were listed as "non-Hispanic black".
This "Underrepresentation" of Blacks and Hispanics, of course, was more than made up for by the Huge "Overrepresentation" of Asians. Only 4% of the U.S. population, Asians made up a whopping 40% of the incoming freshmen class in 2008, a slightly larger proportion than the 39% figure for whites....
[.....]
That's what happens without Quotas/"Holistic" admissions/Racial balancing. (tho they DO seek minorities; just don't bend admissions/lower standards)
Asians, only 4% of the population are 40% of the meritocratic student body. Higher than the percentage for the much larger population group, whites.
`
Yet at Harvard, the last class admission was 14.7% Black, exactly 2% more than their population percentage!
`

So you want to go back to the days where quotas were 100 percent white and merit did not apply. Cal Tech is no elite college and it only has 2,100 students. But it's the one you could find that validates your psychosis.

Cal Tech is not elite? Did you read those sat scores? lol!!

Your usual BS!
Of course Blacks want to get into Good Colleges... AND. Good High Schools I named in 2 of my 3 posts.
You're a G-D Liar.

Apparently they also don't care care about doing more poorly on tests for 50 years country-wide/worldwide either.
LOFL.

And it would be less of an issue if they weren't Stealing deservant admission positions of others.
`
That is not what I said. I never said that blacks did not want to get into good schools or colleges. What I am saying that the good schools and colleges that may be at the top of the list of Asians or whites might not be schools that many blacks want to go to. There are plenty of good schools in America....not just Ivy league, Stanford or Cal. Blacks tend not to aim as much to schools where there are not already a solid black population. For example, if you are in Michigan and you are a top black student....you are probably looking at Michigan or Michigan State university. Some may have counselors who suggest they apply to the Ivy League, but Michigan and Michigan State, especially UofM, are great schools too, with descent black enrollment numbers.

Want to see what a Bias Free, Quota Free, Top school, admission profile looks like?
This is one of the Only top colleges without a Racial admissions policy. One that's Asian student body keeps climbing along with the number of advanced Asian students, unlike the Bigoted Ivy League schools who've All put/Capped/Quota-ed Asians at app ±16%.

[....]

Of the top two dozen or so elite universities in America only one has managed both to avoid the craziness of the post-60s intellectual fads, and to establish something pretty close to a pure meritocracy - California Institute of Technology
, which has not received the general recognition among academics that it clearly deserves.

The stats on Caltech's students and faculty are simply spellbinding. An entering Caltech freshman last year who received a 770 on the math SAT would be exceeded in this area by 3/4 of his fellow entering freshmen. Many Caltech freshmen got a perfect 800 on their math SAT, while a near-perfect 1560 combination score placed an incoming freshmen at only the 75th percentile of his..classmates..

What this means is that at Caltech, there are no dumb jocks, dumb legacies, or dumb Affirmative Action students... Perhaps the most striking difference from all other elite universities - including institutions like MIT and the University of Chicago which forgo athletic recruitment - is Caltech's complete Indifference to Racial balancing.
In a state and a region of the country with the largest Hispanic population, Caltech's entering freshmen class in 2008 was less than 6% Hispanic (13 out of 236). The unwillingness to lower standards for a larger Black representation is even more striking - less than 1% (2/236) of Caltech's 2008 entering freshmen were listed as "non-Hispanic black".
This "Underrepresentation" of Blacks and Hispanics, of course, was more than made up for by the Huge "Overrepresentation" of Asians. Only 4% of the U.S. population, Asians made up a whopping 40% of the incoming freshmen class in 2008, a slightly larger proportion than the 39% figure for whites....
[.....]
That's what happens without Quotas/"Holistic" admissions/Racial balancing. (tho they DO seek minorities; just don't bend admissions/lower standards)
Asians, only 4% of the population are 40% of the meritocratic student body. Higher than the percentage for the much larger population group, whites.
`
Yet at Harvard, the last class admission was 14.7% Black, exactly 2% more than their population percentage!
`

Interesting out of all of that- the only thing that you take away is 'race'

Ignoring completely :
What this means is that at Caltech, there are no dumb jocks, dumb legacies,

What insulting nonsense

Offensive nonsense

No....all I am saying that there are many other variables that make up the skewed demographics of Cal Tech.

Your usual BS!
You're a G-D Liar.

LOFL.

`

Funny how you aren't complaining about athletes and wealthy legacies stealing 'deservant'(sic) admission positions of others.

Just race......

[....]

[.....]
`
`
The myth of dumb black people getting spots we did not deserve again ?

There have been people who have tried (And failed) to be prove that this is true

Let me introduce Vijay Chokalingam

vijay-chokalingam.jpg

He's Mindy Kalling’s brother. That’s Mindy Kaling the actress who starred in the the Mindy Project

91Ogoa59CgL._RI_.jpg

Chokalingam wrote a book about how he pretended to be a black man to get into uni’s with the same score that he could not get into as Asian man to prove that this system is racist to Asians and white and biased to black.

"These dumb negros getting all these undeserved spots !! Why did I as a superior high IQ Asian have to suffer to allow one of these bastards in" !!!!!

200w.webp

Google (Vijay Chokalingam) if you think I'm making it up.

So this is what he did. He shaved the hair of his head off n all that shit and applied as a black man

vijay-kaling.jpg

He had a 3.1 GPA and MCAT score of 31Q. He submitted applications to medical school and an essay to 26 top and middle-tier medical schools around the country named “Jojo Chokalingam”

He claims he was admitted to St. Louis University School of Medicine. This is ranked #57th in the country and that was evidence of “less stringent” standards for black applicants.

What he did not say was that he was rejected from most of the medical schools he applied to:
  • Columbia University,
  • Cornell University
  • George Washington University
  • Mount Sinai
  • University of Nebraska
  • Nobay
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • University of Rochester
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Washington University
  • University of Wisconsin
  • Yale University
  • Case Western.
He withdrew his application from quite a few schools when he realized that those rejections would go against his agenda; those include: Vanderbilt University and Harvard University and a few others.

But he made a big deal that he received an invitation to apply from other schools based on his MCAT score (mostly lower-tier schools such as Ohio University) without noting that he received those letters for no other reason than because his MCAT score actually was within the range acceptable to these schools.

Fact is this clown as a black man was rejected from 93% of those he applied to but he wanted everyone to focus on the fact that he was accepted into a single medical school: St. Louis University School of Medicine.

Of course, he concludes, he only got in St. Louis because he was (playing at) Black, right?

St. Louis University School of Medicine isn’t that great a medical school. His application while mediocre, was not weak enough to disqualify him. Nothing to do with whether he lied or was honest about his race..

Getting on black people is easy.

Why don’t you get angry at the University of Michigan (And many uni's in America) who give out 16 points to kids from certain lily-white Upper Peninsulas ?
  • And 4 points for children of overwhelmingly white alumni ?
  • And 10 points for students who went to the state’s “top” schools ?
  • And 8 points for those who took a full slate of Advanced Placement classes in high schools (which classes are far less available in schools serving students blk students) ?
Na. To you this is seen as perfectly fair, and not at all racially preferential. Right ?

People say blacks should "work hard and stop looking for handouts" but when blacks achieve they are chomping at the bits to find reasons why blacks don’t deserve to sit at the table ?

Which is it ?

They are letting dumb-ass white students in there all day because of their fathers or uncles. Most blacks applying could run circles around them academically but they would never ever be admitted.

College admissions is nothing but game.

It’s not just a cold statistical numbers score that you naively think it is..

They can and do say anything to black students "your application was late" "it got lost" "We don’t like your essay"............. ANYTHING.

Our black ass is not getting in - No matter what.

They reserve over 60% of seats for white students at most schools, graduate and undergraduate and then about 10-20% for asians and Indians.

If your lame cry baby ass can't wiggle in one of those spots, that's your own fault.

We are taking no one's spots trust me.

You have a legacy and being a legacy only works if you have a trust fund and your parents have been donating a good % of their annual salary to the school or your dad holds political office or your parents are fortune 500 CEOs, COOs, CFOs or CAOs. Anyone else, it's still a crap shot.

It might get your resume an extra 5 second glance but if they see average jobs and medium income zip-code on your application, you can forget about it.

Blaming the handful of black people that get in is ridiculous. More Black Americans are becoming doctors (despite the obstacles set for black people) and non-blacks hate to see a black person who is superior to them in anything and become bitter and jealous.
This guy pretending ot be black reminds me of Pocahontas.

Fascinating the parts you left out from this 2010 article

Many of the athletic recruits and affirmative action students at the most academically selective institutions are less academically accomplished and less academically gifted than the better students at even the middle-level state universities. (Legacy admits, though given significant preference over non-legacies, are usually held to a somewhat higher academic standard than that of recruited athletes or affirmative action admits, unless their parents are big-bucks donors, in which case they receive substantially greater indulgence.)

[....]

[.....]
`
`

So you want to go back to the days where quotas were 100 percent white and merit did not apply. Cal Tech is no elite college and it only has 2,100 students. But it's the one you could find that validates your psychosis.

Cal Tech is not elite? Did you read those sat scores? lol!!

Cal Tech is not elite.

What insulting nonsense

Offensive nonsense

You damn sure ain't.

[....]

[.....]
`
`

There seems to be an inherent bias in the article. When talking about Hispanics, the author noted that California has one of the largest Hispanic population, but only 13 out of 226 (little less than 6%) entering freshman were Hispanic. However, when talking about the Asian student body, the noted the NATIONAL Asian population percentage being only 4%, but 40% of the freshman class. Why did not the author note that Asians are 12% of California population and that nearly a third of all Asians in the United States live in California? Why talk about Hispanics high population in California and not also mention Asians high population in California. The Asian population in California is twice that of the black population in California and I assume that most Cal Tech students are from California.

Cal Tech specializes in STEM curriculum. Many Asians MAY aim at fields in this area. To many Asian students in California, their dream may be Cal Tech, especially given its already high percentage Asian population. Asians may see that as an "Asian" college and hence many Asians want to apply there........e.

That’s a poor guess. You’re trying too hard.

Actually it is a very accurate assessment.

Parser if merit was the only consideration we would not be reading the stuff you just posed. College testing only began in the 1920's but we have universities that are 300 plus years old. So for at least 200 years the SAT wasn't even taken. But no people of color were accepted into colleges. So this argument that gives whites automatic merit and only considers Japanese as Asians is a bunk argument that in itself has no merit.

[....]

[.....]
`
`
College Is for Coolies

Not a meritocracy until the motivation of paying students is in effect. By mandating indentured servitude instead, hypocritical Capitalists violate their own principles of incentive. They'll preach, "If you want McDonald's workers to become truck drivers, pay them a higher starting salary as truck drivers," but they'll never follow through on that by saying, "If you want the smartest students to study for college, pay them a higher student salary there than they can expect anywhere else at that age." This is because they want to keep own kids' advantage of living off an allowance that meets that requirement. Otherwise they'd drop out or refuse to go at all, like real Americans do.

David Koch went to MIT, which is similar to CalTech. But he lived off a high allowance there, which is the most important factor in that achievement of his. Just like Daddy bought him his politics, Daddy bought him his education.

[....]

[.....]
`
`
College Is for Coolies

Not a meritocracy until the motivation of paying students is in effect. By mandating indentured servitude instead, hypocritical Capitalists violate their own principles of incentive. They'll preach, "If you want McDonald's workers to become truck drivers, pay them a higher starting salary as truck drivers," but they'll never follow through on that by saying, "If you want the smartest students to study for college, pay them a higher student salary there than they can expect anywhere else at that age." This is because they want to keep own kids' advantage of living off an allowance that meets that requirement. Otherwise they'd drop out or refuse to go at all, like real Americans do.

David Koch went to MIT, which is similar to CalTech. But he lived off a high allowance there, which is the most important factor in that achievement of his. Just like Daddy bought him his politics, Daddy bought him his education.

Here we go again...

Even the cheap toys where you pull a string on the action figure’s back have more than just ONE phrase to repeat over and over

Forum List

Back