With less than 1/5th the population...why are non-whites making up more TV commercials?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Could it be...
According to The Times report, half the advertisers said ‘they were using fewer white people because they no longer represented “modern society”‘, which seems a somewhat peculiar, and certainly metrocentric, viewpoint. Still, if advertisers feel such a move is commercially wise, if they want to appeal primarily to the big conurbations, and if they want to incorporate diversity into their ‘brand’, so be it.
TV ads: why whites and straights are out

Could it be...
According to The Times report, half the advertisers said ‘they were using fewer white people because they no longer represented “modern society”‘, which seems a somewhat peculiar, and certainly metrocentric, viewpoint. Still, if advertisers feel such a move is commercially wise, if they want to appeal primarily to the big conurbations, and if they want to incorporate diversity into their ‘brand’, so be it.
Thanks for this. I absolutely love these threads.

Could it be...

Casual observations of TV commercials prove this to be true. There is a commercial for a Crohn's disease medication called Humira that could not be more typical. The lead singer is the one who has the disease looks Hispanic, and the rest of the band are Chinese guitar player, a Black drummer (no racist undertones there), a slightly butch looking girl on keyboards , and another white guy playing bass who looks as queer as a $3.00 bill right down to his necklace! What are the odds of a garage band having those demographics?

Every commercial showing parents has to have the obligatory gay couple. Almost all that appear to be married are mixed race.

Pandering is alive a well in the advertising industry.

Not that there is anything wrong with that! :D

Last edited:
Could it be...
/—-/ I spent a decade in advertising on the creative side. The agencies go along with what their clients want. If the guy who signs the check wants a mixed race garage band so its inclusive then that is what the agency delivers. A creative director once explained it to me this way. What would you do if you walked into a deli an ordered a ham and Swiss on rye and the deli guy gave you a grilled chicken on a bed of lettuce because it’s healthier. Would you accept it and pay, or go to another deli?

I was in the mall yesterday and I couldn't believe the amount of ads in the store window with mulatto model. Store after store featuring mystery meat people with frizzy 'Sideshow Bob' hair.

I think they are trying to tell us something.

With less than 1/5th the population...why are non-whites making up more TV commercials?

They want to sell stuff to non-whites as well as whites. The economy is that much bigger when non-whites are included, and there is more money to be made.

A fungible currency does not and cannot discriminate by race or sex or other arbitrary conditions. All that is changed by the politics of gun control fingerprinting, rape-kit DNA profiling and employment blacklisting.

City hall fascists are hard at work running us off to the labor camps and gas chambers in America.

They want to sell stuff to non-whites as well as whites. The economy is that much bigger when non-whites are included, and there is more money to be made.

A fungible currency does not and cannot discriminate by race or sex or other arbitrary conditions. All that is changed by the politics of gun control fingerprinting, rape-kit DNA profiling and employment blacklisting.

City hall fascists are hard at work running us off to the labor camps and gas chambers in America.
/——/ Loonie Tunes

My favorite is the camel in the Government Employees Insurance Company ads. "Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike"

/——/ if you ever worked with a guy like that, it resonates. And using a camel avoids the rath of the PC Thought Police.

Forum List

Back