With 11 days of experience....

Before anyone says it, YES, I got this from MSNBC. However, I found it rather intriguing. Why is it that the GOP picked Bob McDonnell, a guy with 11 days of Governor experience to deliver the rebuttal to the President's SOTU address? And then, within his rebuttal, the only other Republican he mentioned was Scott Brown, who so far has zero days of experience in the senate? Does anyone else find this odd? Are the Republicans trying to put a new face on their party?

Might have something to do with the fact that Bob McDonnell is articulate and a competent public speaker, pretty much the same reasons the Democrats picked a guy with practically no experience but is articulate and a competent public speaker to be their nominee for President in 2008.

There was none.
ANd by no means an effort to say it was okay that he offered no substance, as it was quite disappointing, I found that Obamas SOTU adddress also offered no substance.
<snip for brevity>

I'll find myself in agreement with you on nearly every post, O&T, but i can't agree that McDonnell offered no substance. His speech was brief, yes, and he only had time to touch briefly on some of the issues.. but he offered both praise and criticism for current WH policies, expansion of charter schools and teacher accountability, a firm declaration of the right course in processing terrorists, facts and figures on unemployment and troop deployment, an outline of the Republican goals for healthcare, etc.

Bob McDonnell Speech (FULL TEXT): Republican State Of The Union Response

Overall, it was a good little speech for the time allowed.

OK, Murf....please show me in this text where McDonnell explained HOW he planned to increase teacher accountability. Or, please show me in this text where McDonnell explained WHAT the Republican goals for healthcare were and HOW he planned to get them implemented.

Hate to say it...but I agree with VY...Yes, he offered "results"....but I want to know how it will be acheived.

I'm sure that was for comedy relief. But at that time, who knew Obama was an absolute idiot? Obama is such an embarrassment, he makes George W. Bush look good. :lol:

Poor Bobby. As I recall, the speech wasn't all that bad. Not great, but not horrible. It was that cheesy smile as he approached the cameras that was so shockingly off-putting.

Yuck. That guy needs to work with his mirror a little or something... 'cause DAMN. :lol:

Before anyone says it, YES, I got this from MSNBC. However, I found it rather intriguing. Why is it that the GOP picked Bob McDonnell, a guy with 11 days of Governor experience to deliver the rebuttal to the President's SOTU address? And then, within his rebuttal, the only other Republican he mentioned was Scott Brown, who so far has zero days of experience in the senate? Does anyone else find this odd? Are the Republicans trying to put a new face on their party?

Might have something to do with the fact that Bob McDonnell is articulate and a competent public speaker, pretty much the same reasons the Democrats picked a guy with practically no experience but is articulate and a competent public speaker to be their nominee for President in 2008.

I agree. He only had 10 minutes or so but he made them all count.

Yank. As for facts and figures, which is what you wanted to hear, I don't think he could do that in the time allotted. I don't think any of the rebuttal speechs after a SOTU speech ever have the time to go into details. The event is the SOTU speech. Not the rebuttal by the opposing party. I may be wrong. If I am I'm sure someone will set me straight.

The rebutal is never based on the STOU speach, that is long tradition. Maybe it should be, that will be up to the parties to agree on.

-TSO

So, holding true to your apparent values, is it safe to assume you did not vote for Palin, either?

No.. my vote was for McCain for President... not because Palin was on the ticket... mainly because it was a vote against Obama... I would have voted for Hillary before Obama... and THAT is saying something

Oh, so putting a bimbo with little to no experience in the SECOND most important job in the world, is OK, then. Thanks for clearing that up for me.:cuckoo:
Oh, so putting a limpwristed, corrupt, inexperienced jr. senator in the MOST important job in the world, is ok then. Thanks for clearing that up for us.:cuckoo:

Typical liberal hypocrisy for all to see, I see!:lol:

OK, Murf....please show me in this text where McDonnell explained HOW he planned to increase teacher accountability. Or, please show me in this text where McDonnell explained WHAT the Republican goals for healthcare were and HOW he planned to get them implemented.

Why are you such a 'Contrary Mary' today? Is splitting hairs about the word "substance" really what's uppermost in your mind? Seriously? :eusa_eh:
It's not like the guy didn't have a limited amount of time for his rebuttal, and it's not like the word "substance" isn't subjective in political terms.

But... whatever. Here's the portion in which he agreed with Obama on teacher accountability:
"The President and I agree on expanding the number of high-quality charter schools, and rewarding teachers for excellent performance. More school choices for parents and students mean more accountability and greater achievement.

A child's educational opportunity should be determined by her intellect and work ethic, not by her zip code."

And here's the part where he rebuts the leftist meme that Republicans have no plan on healthcare:
"Republicans in Congress have offered legislation to reform healthcare, without shifting Medicaid costs to the states, without cutting Medicare, and without raising your taxes.

We will do that by implementing common sense reforms, like letting families and businesses buy health insurance policies across state lines, and ending frivolous lawsuits against doctors and hospitals that drive up the cost of your healthcare.

And our solutions aren't thousand-page bills that no one has fully read, after being crafted behind closed doors with special interests.

In fact, many of our proposals are available online at solutions.gop.gov, and we welcome your ideas on Facebook and Twitter."

Yank. As for facts and figures, which is what you wanted to hear, I don't think he could do that in the time allotted. I don't think any of the rebuttal speechs after a SOTU speech ever have the time to go into details. The event is the SOTU speech. Not the rebuttal by the opposing party. I may be wrong. If I am I'm sure someone will set me straight.

Claudette, I promise you that I am not a dumb as I am making myself seem in an attempt to rebuke what some other posters on here have claimed as "concrete" ideas contained within McDonnell's speech. However, on a larger scale, WHEN might the rest of America see these ideas? Everyone knows that the Dems call the Reps the party of "no". This is because the Reps have not made much of an attempt to get their ideas out there. Am I the only who who believes this would be in their best interest?

Why are you such a 'Contrary Mary' today? Is splitting hairs about the word "substance" really what's uppermost in your mind? Seriously? :eusa_eh:
It's not like the guy didn't have a limited amount of time for his rebuttal, and it's not like the word "substance" isn't subjective in political terms.

But... whatever. Here's the portion in which he agreed with Obama on teacher accountability:
"The President and I agree on expanding the number of high-quality charter schools, and rewarding teachers for excellent performance. More school choices for parents and students mean more accountability and greater achievement.

A child's educational opportunity should be determined by her intellect and work ethic, not by her zip code."

And here's the part where he rebuts the leftist meme that Republicans have no plan on healthcare:
"Republicans in Congress have offered legislation to reform healthcare, without shifting Medicaid costs to the states, without cutting Medicare, and without raising your taxes.

We will do that by implementing common sense reforms, like letting families and businesses buy health insurance policies across state lines, and ending frivolous lawsuits against doctors and hospitals that drive up the cost of your healthcare.

And our solutions aren't thousand-page bills that no one has fully read, after being crafted behind closed doors with special interests.

In fact, many of our proposals are available online at solutions.gop.gov, and we welcome your ideas on Facebook and Twitter."

Thanks Murf. I missed the link at the bottom. I'll be back.

Well, THAT didn't take long. As soon as I got to the website, my screen gets blocked with an advertisement and won't allow me to navigate any further:

Did you know that your Internet Explorer is out of date?
To get the best possible experience using our website, we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or alternative web browser. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.

Just click on the icons to get to the download page:

Internet Explorer 8+Firefox 3.5+Safari 4+Opera 10+Chrome 3.0+

Claudette, I promise you that I am not a dumb as I am making myself seem in an attempt to rebuke what some other posters on here have claimed as "concrete" ideas contained within McDonnell's speech. However, on a larger scale, WHEN might the rest of America see these ideas? Everyone knows that the Dems call the Reps the party of "no". This is because the Reps have not made much of an attempt to get their ideas out there. Am I the only who who believes this would be in their best interest?

I disagree.
The republicans ability to get their ideas in a debate are based on Pelosi's willingness to allow such debates. And she has flat out rejected theior proposal without debate.
Their ability to get the word to the people is based on the media.
You can not deny that the media has not done their job in that regard.
One thing I know for sure....NBC and CBS viewers were never infomred of the 250 page republican helathcare initiative of several months ago.

I disagree.
The republicans ability to get their ideas in a debate are based on Pelosi's willingness to allow such debates. And she has flat out rejected theior proposal without debate.
One thing I know for sure....NBC and CBS viewers were never infomred of the 250 page republican helathcare initiative of several months ago.

I disagree with your assessment. Do you have anything proving your claim of pelosi not allowing debates? If you do, I would love to see it. However, IF this truly is the situation, wouldn't it behoove the GOP to put their "ideas" out there for the American people to see? And no....not all Americans watch Faux News, so that doesn't count.

Well, THAT didn't take long. As soon as I got to the website, my screen gets blocked with an advertisement and won't allow me to navigate any further:

To get the best possible experience using our website, we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or alternative web browser. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.

Weird. I got that link from Huffington Post and it worked fine. But I tried another link earlier with the word "transcript" in the address and it started launching a bunch of crap on my laptop. I've got it scanning now.

Weird. I got that link from Huffington Post and it worked fine. But I tried another link earlier with the word "transcript" in the address and it started launching a bunch of crap on my laptop. I've got it scanning now.

So much for those ideas....

I disagree with your assessment. Do you have anything proving your claim of pelosi not allowing debates? If you do, I would love to see it. However, IF this truly is the situation, wouldn't it behoove the GOP to put their "ideas" out there for the American people to see? And no....not all Americans watch Faux News, so that doesn't count.

As speaker, Pelosi sets the agenda:
Speaker Nancy Pelosi | About Nancy Pelosi

And yes, she does have a history of gagging Republicans. It's customary for time to be allotted for "Special Orders"; free speech in small increments of time after the day's business is accomplished. Pelosi, however, has previously shut the House down rather than to allow it:
Censored on House Floor by Pelosi - HUMAN EVENTS

It just shows how deep the Republican Party is with credible candidates. None of their top runners (Palin, Gingrich, Huckabee or Romney) is in a position to issue a rebuttal. Every year they trot out a new hope (Jindal??) praying that he is the next big thing

I disagree.

And exactly how should they do it if the media does not allow it?
Fox news DID...
Are you watching the question answer with the GOP and Obama?
They asked him that exact question....and he stmbled...and then admitted thqat thieir ideas were brought to him....so he was aksed if that is true, then why is his administration saying thatthe GOP has npot presented ideas...

And again, he stumbled....and then started to talk about how their ideas (the ones that they never had mind you) are not ideas that would work.

Well, it is one thing to disagree with ideas...it is another thing to disagree with them and to tell people they never existed to begin with.

I suggest you look deeper into it. The dems are using their ability to get the media to listen to them and not the GOP to say things that are flat out lies...such as the GOP offers no ideas.

They should say "we have their ideas but we disagree with them"...not "they have no ideas".

It is not fair to the American Public.

I disagree.

Yank. You can always look on John Boehners website. He has a pretty good bunch of info on there about what the GOP is proposing for healthcare. I'm sure the other Reps have the same.

Forum List

Back