Wisconsin Unions to Businesses- you are with us or against us, period

This is another example of how nasty these people are. These are not my friends and neighbors like our dear leader told us. They are the enemy of freedom. They are against the interests of hard working Americans.

Read the letter from the OP again.

Yup, still just a boycott. Exactly the kind of free market mechanism Milton Friedman argued works better than government regulations.

Surprised to see alleged free market conservatives getting their panties in a twist over it. :dunno:

I don't what know what to say, I don’t like being snarky, so, I’ll just say it appears to me manifold, your comprehension skills are off, I’ll break it down;

And they even promise a quid pro quo. In addition to not boycotting them...

However, if you join us, we will do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership

Are you being intentionally dense?

Name one boycott where those organizing it were not looking for specific remedial action from the target of their boycott? Isn't that the entire purpose of a boycott?

No, it is not, are you having trouble parsing the English language? This isn't even nuanced;

there's a difference between asking someone to withdraw sppt. from a cause and take a seat on the side lines.

However, they demand they actively repudiate their former cause and actively sppt. the new one. Or else. They add that they will provide a quid pro quo as well.

Last edited:
Trajan, what did you find Soprano-esque about that letter?

I have no issue with their intention or threat to boycott [the] businesses who sppt. Walker. They however are not doing that, they are demanding that they repudiate Walker and sppt them as well. That's crossing a line.

( full disclosure; I have issues also with say; protesters showing up at peoples homes, getting fired from their jobs because of causes they politically sppt. , all of which has happened [ not here but in similar situations], yet the msm ignores this all)

Okay. When I see allusions to the mafia, I think of threats to reveal compromising information; or veiled threats of violence, as in "do this or I'm going to send one of my boys down to help you 'change your mind'." So imo your set up to the letter was hyperbolic, and as a matter of course, misleading.

I see no problem in principle with political activism through the free market. Boycotts are often done to affect change on the target's public stance on an issue. Throw in some apple pie and tri-cornered hats, and you got yourself America 101!

This is another example of how nasty these people are. These are not my friends and neighbors like our dear leader told us. They are the enemy of freedom. They are against the interests of hard working Americans.

Yeah, I've found some of the nastiest people write letters...

Just say you dislike anything the Unions do unless its slicing their own throats.

Now just the other day repubs told me that if we ended the Oil Subsidies, big oil would make us pay at the pump i.e. extortion. Repubs have no problem with that. Unions ask for support from business and if they arent supported they wont support that business in the future.

And you have a problem with the second calling it extortion but have no problems and even advocate for actually perceived extortion from their own mouths

Yeah, I've found some of the nastiest people write letters...

Just say you dislike anything the Unions do unless its slicing their own throats.

Now just the other day repubs told me that if we ended the Oil Subsidies, big oil would make us pay at the pump i.e. extortion. Repubs have no problem with that. Unions ask for support from business and if they arent supported they wont support that business in the future.

And you have a problem with the second calling it extortion but have no problems and even advocate for actually perceived extortion from their own mouths

You're confused. This has nothing to do with oil and repubs.

The unions in our government have to go. Whatever the private sector wants do is their business. Government is the people's business. We gonna bust government unions.

Yup. And my 'own' includes support for freedom and a free market. :thup:

Uh. Career politicians colluding with public employee unions by negotiating on the same side of the table to extract excessive benefits and campaign donations financed by taxpayers is not a Free Market.

That's capitalism for ya :clap2:

she prefers it when politicians collude with corporations.... particularly the ones that offshore our jobs.

Trajan, what did you find Soprano-esque about that letter?

I have no issue with their intention or threat to boycott [the] businesses who sppt. Walker. They however are not doing that, they are demanding that they repudiate Walker and sppt them as well. That's crossing a line.

( full disclosure; I have issues also with say; protesters showing up at peoples homes, getting fired from their jobs because of causes they politically sppt. , all of which has happened [ not here but in similar situations], yet the msm ignores this all)

Okay. When I see allusions to the mafia, I think of threats to reveal compromising information; or veiled threats of violence, as in "do this or I'm going to send one of my boys down to help you 'change your mind'." So imo your set up to the letter was hyperbolic, and as a matter of course, misleading.

I see no problem in principle with political activism through the free market. Boycotts are often done to affect change on the target's public stance on an issue. Throw in some apple pie and tri-cornered hats, and you got yourself America 101!

I browsed several sites looking at definitions of boycotts, I cannot find one that demands repudiation, support against and an offer of quid pro quo, this is not a notice of boycott, where in the offer is an exchange of neutrality, they blew past that when they demanded repudiation and sppt..

I see no problem with political activism, or boycotts in principal either, I do think they are a symptomatic of an exhausted argument though.

Uh. Career politicians colluding with public employee unions by negotiating on the same side of the table to extract excessive benefits and campaign donations financed by taxpayers is not a Free Market.

she prefers it when politicians collude with corporations.... particularly the ones that offshore our jobs.

And that's probably the thing that cracks me up the most...It's evil for workers to get together to collectively bargain. Unions are evil, but corporations who give bonuses to executives whose company's fail are A Ok!

Well boys, you Teabaggers started this game of hardball. Now you are squeeling like little girls when the opposition joins the game. Too bad, it is going to get tougher. There are a lot more things than just this which can be done legally to create an even meaner environment.

And that's probably the thing that cracks me up the most...It's evil for workers to get together to collectively bargain. Unions are evil, but corporations who give bonuses to executives whose company's fail are A Ok!

and limitless campaign funds to the rightwingnuts from oil companies, insurance companies, special interest lobbyists... that's all fine.

but they can't stand it when anyone who opposes them responds.

to each his own.

Does this mean I as a taxpayer can bid out/privatize services such as police, fire, subway management, schools, etc., also?

Can I send a letter to the public employee unions that if they continue to fight the elimination of CB, I will push to have them summarily fired and replaced with some of the 20% unemployed in this country, who would give their right arm for one of their jobs?

Well, I think this is one of there reasons why the fractured rules of collective bargaining and all of the supra state and fed. advantages etc. they receive, has to be rethought.

Imagine the pressure they bring to bare in negotiations with pols on their benefits, salaries etc. if they are this brazen in public.

There are or may be other reasons one has sppted. Walker, and, one may be ambivalent as to the rigmarole as to unions etc. , but, this is what I would expect from Tony Soprano or well….Trumka, not from an agency interested in pursing and inspiring serious sppt..

If I were one of this bus. I would tell them go F themselves on principal alone for threatening me, no matter how I felt as to the issue.

March 10, 2011
Mr. Tom Ellis, President
Marshall & Ilsley Corporation
770 N. Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202
SENT VIA FASCIMILE AND REGULAR MAIL
Dear Mr. Ellis:
As you undoubtedly know, Governor Walker recently proposed a “budget
adjustment bill” to eviscerate public employees’ right to collectively bargain in
Wisconsin. ..

As you also know, Scott Walker did not campaign on this issue when he ran for
office. If he had, we are confident that you would not be listed among his largest
contributors. As such, we are contacting you now to request your support.

The undersigned groups would like your company to publicly oppose Governor
Walker’s efforts to virtually eliminate collective bargaining for public employees in
Wisconsin. While we appreciate that you may need some time to consider this
request, we ask for your response by March 17. In the event that you do not
respond to this request by that date, we will assume that you stand with
Governor Walker and against the teachers, nurses, police officers, fire fighters,
and other dedicated public employees who serve our communities.

In the event that you cannot support this effort to save collective bargaining,
please be advised that the undersigned will publicly and formally boycott the
goods and services provided by your company. However, if you join us, we will
do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership in the fight to
preserve the right of public employees to be heard at the bargaining table.
Wisconsin’s public employee unions serve to protect and promote equality and
fairness in the workplace. We hope you will stand with us and publicly share that
ideal.

In the event you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact the
executive Director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association, Jim Palmer,
at 608.273.3840.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from
you soon.

James L. Palmer, Executive Director
Wisconsin Professional Police Association
Mahlon Mitchell,President
Professional Fire Fighters
Jim Conway, President
International Association of Fire Fighters Local 311
John Matthews, Executive Director
Madison Teachers, Inc.
Keith Patt, Executive Director
Green Bay Education Association
Bob Richardson, President
Dane County Deputy Sheriffs Association
Dan Frei, President
Madison Professional Police Officers Association

heres the link with signatures

http://www.thewheelerreport.com/releases/March11/0310/0310wppa.pdf

and the source

UNIONS THREATEN BUSINESS | Newsradio 620 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Talk, Sports, Weather | Charlie Sykes
RE the undersigned assholes.

1. They're union thugs proving they only want their entitlements and Cadillac incomes.
2. They prove they are not interested in democracy unless it serves their interests
3. Go ahead, you will only succeed in harming yourself.

Well boys, you Teabaggers started this game of hardball. Now you are squeeling like little girls when the opposition joins the game. Too bad, it is going to get tougher. There are a lot more things than just this which can be done legally to create an even meaner environment.

The public unions are welcome to try any such aggressive activities they see fit. I, as a taxpayer, will do everything in my power - along with the rest of the taxpaying public being asked to sustain the public employee's outsized salaries, benefits and pensions - to stop them, and that includes firing them en masse and replacing them outright.

Last edited:

That cuts BOTH ways; I suggest you remember that. Go ahead, up the ante; our side can do likewise. Let's see what you got.....

:clap2:

to each his own.

Does this mean I as a taxpayer can bid out/privatize services such as police, fire, subway management, schools, etc., also?

Can I send a letter to the public employee unions that if they continue to fight the elimination of CB, I will push to have them summarily fired and replaced with some of the 20% unemployed in this country, who would give their right arm for one of their jobs?

Yes

Forum List

Back