Wireless HDMI no more coax cable, yay!

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
My cable box died yesterday so I called Cox and the guy came out and upgraded me to a wireless HDMI cable box. I didn't even know they had them it's so nice not having that coax running along the floor! I don't see any difference in speed or picture so far.

Not to be pedantic (well, maybe a little pedantic) but HDMI isn't coaxial.

Coax cables for for RF analog signals.

My cable box died yesterday so I called Cox and the guy came out and upgraded me to a wireless HDMI cable box. I didn't even know they had them it's so nice not having that coax running along the floor! I don't see any difference in speed or picture so far.
Wireless means no wires at all, yet a HDMI is a High Definition Multimedia Interface cable, is a wire. So your cable box to your TV is HDMI, while your wireless internet is either 2.4g or 5g. But you still need the cable from the house to the interface box, because Cox cable hasnt figured out FIOS yet.

Coax for digital also.
Using coax for digital signals is a cost effective way of re-using existing coax for digital signals. It requires signal processing on both ends (effectively modems).

Back in the day, we created wide-area networks over RF coax cable-TV systems. The digital component (serial data in those days) was modulated onto the RF TV system and demodulated at the destination.

However, the primary use of coaxial cables was to transmit RF analog signals.

Wireless has been in most homes for probably a decade at least now. Welcome to the future! :laugh:

A hardwired "Cat 5 cable" (thats the term youre looking for) is never bad to have though. Its a little faster and more consistent, but wireless is still very consistent and plenty fast enough.

Wireless has been in most homes for probably a decade at least now. Welcome to the future! :laugh:

A hardwired "Cat 5 cable" (thats the term youre looking for) is never bad to have though. Its a little faster and more consistent, but wireless is still very consistent and plenty fast enough.
Wireless HDMI has only been offered by Cox in my area for less than a year, according to the tech.

Wireless HDMI has only been offered by Cox in my area for less than a year, according to the tech.
So an HDMI cable is for audio and video. You would normally use it to plug your tv into the cable box, or to connect a monitor to a computer. HDMI looks like this...

41-P7gC3tES._AC_.jpg

This is a Cat 5 cable that plugs into a computer to give it hardwired internet from the modem that was given to you by your internet provider....

Last edited:

You'll regret that. HDMI is a highly flawed consumer interface far inferior to DVI that has a terrible time syncing up (supposedly over copyguard concerns), and you've just doubled the opportunities for devices to not lock up to each other. Sooner or later, you'll begin having problems; they will always occur as you first turn stuff on.

You'll regret that. HDMI is a highly flawed consumer interface far inferior to DVI that has a terrible time syncing up (supposedly over copyguard concerns), and you've just doubled the opportunities for devices to not lock up to each other. Sooner or later, you'll begin having problems; they will always occur as you first turn stuff on.
Ive never had a problem with HDMI. Its vastly superior to DVI, obviously. The industry stopped using DVI like 15 years ago. :laugh:

Ive never had a problem with HDMI.
You're very lucky then. Try inputting 'trouble with HDMI' into your browser and count how many pages of hits you get.

Its vastly superior to DVI,
How so? The video of HDMI is EXACTLY the same as DVI. The only difference is that they took the once separate audio cables and interleaved the audio in with the video signal and added controller maintenence overhead so that dumb consumers could just plug one cable in and be connected.

obviously. The industry stopped using DVI like 15 years ago.
The main reason was for enhanced digital copyguard because the industry wanted better protection against you taking that perfect picture and making perfect copies of programs that they couldn't collect royalties on! As soon as the HDMI interfaces in any way don't lock up together directly, usually through some intermediary device, you'll lose your signal.

You're very lucky then. Try inputting 'trouble with HDMI' into your browser and count how many pages of hits you get.

How so? The video of HDMI is EXACTLY the same as DVI. The only difference is that they took the once separate audio cables and interleaved the audio in with the video signal and added controller maintenence overhead so that dumb consumers could just plug one cable in and be connected.

The main reason was for enhanced digital copyguard because the industry wanted better protection against you taking that perfect picture and making perfect copies of programs that they couldn't collect royalties on! As soon as the HDMI interfaces in any way don't lock up together directly, usually through some intermediary device, you'll lose your signal.
Yes, its one cable instead of two. Superior.

As for HDMI quality, again, ive never had issues, and i use several HDMI cables in my setup. I string multiple devices together with them. Cable box, xbox, tv and stereo. I used to have a TiVo in the chain too.

Yes, its one cable instead of two. Superior.
No, it is one tiny cable conveying many disparate signals all jumbled together in close proximity to one another allowing interaction and crosstalk, instead of three. DVI is one larger fully shielded coax dedicated to the video feed and the other two dedicated to the left and right audio. You're obviously no electrical engineer. Don't you understand the complexity of what must take place inside the unit which must then SEPARATE all those signals? Or put them all back together. You ought to try going to a professional AV set-up like at a TV station or broadcast monitor and you won't find any HDMI there because they rely on QUALITY and RELIABILITY not convenience and HDMI is a substandard format only for idiot consumers. Adding wireless just compounds the complexity.

As for HDMI quality, again, ive never had issues, and i use several HDMI cables in my setup.
It isn't the cable! The cable itself is fairly irrelevant, benign, is is the devices being connected together through it and their ability to talk to each other; handshake. You obviously haven't had the dealings with video I have. I wish I could show you a photo of some of my video set ups I had years ago with literally 100 cables between devices so thick the floor was covered solid with black spaghetti. Or the video at the 1996 World Olympics deep underground in Atlanta (actually right next door to where CNN is)-- but no picture taking was allowed.

I string multiple devices together with them. Cable box, xbox, tv and stereo. I used to have a TiVo in the chain too.
You still entirely miss the point. You just strung multiple SOURCE components to one central receiver hub, likely the TV itself, and didn't have to feed source signals routed through other controller/processing interfaces. You don't understand.

Forum List

Back