Winter Olympics:

Granny says dey gonna have to play nice an' not do any performance-enhancing drugs...
cool.gif

Russian Olympic Head Says 200 Of Russia's Athletes Might Compete Under Neutral Flag
December 12, 2017 • The decision comes one week after the International Olympic Committee suspended Russia's national team over a system of doping.
Russia's Olympic Committee is backing a plan for Russian athletes to compete under a neutral flag in the upcoming Winter Olympics, saying it will support their participation. Despite doping sanctions against the national team, the Russian group's head says 200 of the country's athletes could wind up going to PyeongChang. The decision comes one week after the International Olympic Committee suspended Russia's Olympic Committee and effectively banned the country from having an official presence at the 2018 PyeongChang Games, as punishment for Russia's widespread and systemic cheating by athletes using performance-enhancing drugs.

ap_17346343451114_wide-e6ee35e29908bd5309298be81bdc0b9923264672-s800-c85.jpg

Russian short track athletes, first row, and ice hockey players wearing sweatshirts with the words "Russia is in my heart" attend a Russian Olympic Committee meeting Tuesday. The Russian committee said it will support athletes who compete at the 2018 Winter Games despite a ban on the national team.​

Although the national committee was banned, the IOC also "created a path for clean individual athletes to compete in PyeongChang" — providing the athletes can pass strict scrutiny. Instead of wearing the official Russian uniform, they would compete under the title "Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)" and hear the Olympic anthem rather than their national anthem. On Monday, a group of Russian athletes issued a statement through the ROC saying that they want to compete in South Korea, despite the troubling circumstances and the humiliation of not being able to openly represent Russia. The ROC's decision came at an annual Olympic meeting, at which its president, Alexander Zhukov, said that the organization had absorbed the brunt of the IOC's punishment so that its athletes could still have a chance to compete. Zhukov said 200 or more Russian athletes might participate in PyeongChang, depending on whether they win individual approvals.

Zhukov added, according to state-run Tass media, "However, it will be strictly up to the IOC (the International Olympic Committee) to define the number of invitations and a national delegation's composition." In recent weeks, the IOC has been issuing a steady flow of sanctions against Russia's Olympic athletes who were caught doping during the Sochi Winter Olympics of 2014. This morning, the Olympics' governing body announced it was punishing six athletes from Russia's women's ice hockey team, disqualifying the squad's results in Sochi and imposing lifetime bans that render the athletes ineligible for upcoming Olympics.

Russian Olympic Head Says 200 Of Russia's Athletes Might Compete Under Neutral Flag

Never watched the Olympics. Tried but the shit is boring.
I find that watching sports which I have no interest in is boring. One exception to that rule is the sport of curling, which is functionally similar to bowling and shuffleboard but it's done on ice and requires intensely concentrated and control of the entire body. Biathalon is sometimes worth watching.

The two sports I have a real interest in, wrestling and archery, are boring to those who never participated in them.

Last edited:
Never watched the Olympics. Tried but the shit is boring.
I find that watching sports which I have no interest in is boring. One exception to that rule is the sport of curling, which is functionally similar to bowling and shuffleboard but it's done on ice and requires intensely concentrated and control of the entire body. Biathalon is sometimes worth watching.

The two sports I have a real interest in, wrestling and archery, are boring to those who never participated in them.
I was an archery state champ when I was younger. Fun to play. Boring as fuck to watch. And I have ZERO interest in watching two men grapple each other as they roll around on a mat.

I was an archery state champ when I was younger. Fun to play. Boring as fuck to watch. And I have ZERO interest in watching two men grapple each other as they roll around on a mat.
Unless one has participated in Greco/Roman wrestling and understands exactly what is going on it can be very boring to watch -- especially when the opponents are locked down for long periods, each waiting for the other's muscles to "gas" (tire).

As for archery, I started shooting a bow in 1958 while stationed at Camp LeJeune and I was active in tournament archery until arthritis shut me down three years ago. I've been watching videos of this year's World Archery Olympics at Mexico City on YouTube for the past few weeks and I'm impressed with a lot of the current shooters, especially the Koreans, Dutch, and Americans.

I shot recurve for a long time but fell in love with compound bows first time I shot one, which was back in 1979. I've had a few good Hoyts since then but my last and the one I'll keep for posterity is my Merlin (Super Nova).

What state did you shoot for? And when? Maybe we've met.

Unless one has participated in Greco/Roman wrestling and understands exactly what is going on it can be very boring to watch -- especially when the opponents are locked down for long periods, each waiting for the other's muscles to "gas" (tire).

As for archery, I started shooting a bow in 1958 while stationed at Camp LeJeune and I was active in tournament archery until arthritis shut me down three years ago. I've been watching videos of this year's World Archery Olympics at Mexico City on YouTube for the past few weeks and I'm impressed with a lot of the current shooters, especially the Koreans, Dutch, and Americans.

I shot recurve for a long time but fell in love with compound bows first time I shot one, which was back in 1979. I've had a few good Hoyts since then but my last and the one I'll keep for posterity is my Merlin (Super Nova).

What state did you shoot for? And when? Maybe we've met.
Kansas in the late 70's early 80's. I actually placed 2nd statewide but the guy who won first was stripped of his victory for "tampering" and it was given to me by default. It was also a juvenile division mind you.

Forum List

Back