The Holdovers

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
Paul Giamatti plays an intellectual, necrotic professor who finds himself in charge of a student who doesnā€™t have anywhere to go for winter break. The student has a troubling family life, but is very gifted. Much of the movie is about the relationship these two forged while being alone on campus together.

With Paul Giamatti people either love him or hate him. I think heā€™s very talented. The movie was pretty good, but I donā€™t think itā€™s Oscar worthy

Giamatti is one of the best actors in Hollywood but they gave the award to the Negro in the movie.

Paul Giamatti plays an intellectual, necrotic professor who finds himself in charge of a student who doesnā€™t have anywhere to go for winter break. The student has a troubling family life, but is very gifted. Much of the movie is about the relationship these two forged while being alone on campus together.

With Paul Giamatti people either love him or hate him. I think heā€™s very talented. The movie was pretty good, but I donā€™t think itā€™s Oscar worthy
Disagree. Huge Giamatti fan. What other movies should be a on the list this year that weren't. Do you think Barbie is Oscar worthy?

Disagree. Huge Giamatti fan. What other movies should be a on the list this year that weren't. Do you think Barbie is Oscar worthy?
Oppenheimer and Maestro are the first that come to mind.

This movie was better than I expected. Ironic that the professor winds up being the "parent" the kid wanted and needed.

Oppenheimer and Maestro are the first that come to mind.
Oppenheimer was good. A bit long. WE only made it through the first half hour of Maestro, not our cup of tea.

Oppenheimer was good. A bit long. WE only made it through the first half hour of Maestro, not our cup of tea.
I really wanted to like Maestro
I always enjoyed the work of Leonard Bernstein

But the movie barely touched his musical genius and was built on the struggles of a gay man and his wife in the 50s and 60s

I lost interest

But the movie barely touched his musical genius and was built on the struggles of a gay man and his wife in the 50s and 60s

I lost interest
We didn't make it out of the black and white portion.

My wife and I watched Barbie as a family night when our nine year old Granddaughter stayed over.

Visually it was OK and of course Robbie is hot but the story line sucked (woke as hell), the acting was shitty and all in all it wasn't a very good movie.

If it wasn't for the fact that we were spending time with our GD we would have turned it off after about 15 minutes. However, GD didn't even like it all that much.

If that stupid movie meets the threshold to be nominated for "Best Picture of the Year" then somebody needs to have their head examined.

I am not saying that simply because I am not the target audience for the movie but because the production all around just sucked.

My wife and I watched Barbie as a family night when our nine year old Granddaughter stayed over.

Visually it was OK and of course Robbie is hot but the story line sucked (woke as hell), the acting was shitty and all in all it wasn't a very good movie.

If it wasn't for the fact that we were spending time with our GD we would have turned it off after about 15 minutes. However, GD didn't even like it all that much.

If that stupid movie meets the threshold to be nominated for "Best Picture of the Year" then somebody needs to have their head examined.

I am not saying that simply because I am not the target audience for the movie but because the production all around just sucked.
I watched Barbie on HBO
Hardly a Blockbuster

I lasted about 40 minutes in Barbieland and then had to leave. My wife took several tries to finish the movie.

Cute at first but grew tiresome

I know. But Margot Robbie is hot :)

Already a thread...... by the exact same name.... in the same forum.
C'mon people...

I lost interest
The music was nice but I found the rest of the movie just plain boring.

Forum List

Back