Winter grilling

Larsky

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2016
DuPage County
I do it year 'round, but it's currently in single digits with wicked wind chill factor here. My threshold is 20 degrees or so.

What is the coldest cookout for you?

Being in the SF Bay Area, the coldest grilling temp for us is usually in the 50s. If it's colder than that, we cook indoors...usually.

We grill about half our dinners throughout the year.

I do it year 'round, but it's currently in single digits with wicked wind chill factor here. My threshold is 20 degrees or so.

Any, I use the time when it's cold for burning downed limbs and trees and I hate grilling when it is hot, screw that...

It really depends on what type of cooking I'm doing.
I kinda draw the line at around 40 assuming it's calm with no rain.
But I'll go cooler if I'm using the offset smoker since there'll be a fire going in the pre burn pit.
fullsizeoutput_11c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11f.jpeg

And it's great excuse to fire up some beans and cornbread.

When I was doing competition BBQ I cooked in some seriously cold weather.
I believe it was in 92 and it was around 15 degrees at the Hold'em and Hit'em event.
Was there for three days straight sleeping on a cot by the pit to stay warm.
Between the cold and smoke I had a sore throat for a week.

Hold 'Em & Hit 'Em Club

It really depends on what type of cooking I'm doing.
I kinda draw the line at around 40 assuming it's calm with no rain.
But I'll go cooler if I'm using the offset smoker since there'll be a fire going in the pre burn pit.
View attachment 242055 View attachment 242056 View attachment 242056
And it's great excuse to fire up some beans and cornbread.
I'll park the Weber close to the patio door and do quick and easy stuff like bbq chicken, steaks, burgers etc. in the cold.
For indirect, slow and low or roasts, whole birds, ribs and the likes, 40 is more realistic.

Even though it was cold as shit it was one of my favorite cook offs!!!
They have auctions for charities and I was in a bidding war with another guy to the bitter end! It was for a small offset smoker from Pitts and Spitts. The minimum you could bid was in $20 dollar increments. We got up to $960 bucks and the dumbshit upped it by $10 bucks...I looked at him and shook my head and walked away. Of course he and his buddies started celebrating at their good fortune....right up til they called him the winner and I pointed out he'd only made a $10 dollar bid.
They scratched his name out and I went home with the pit.
He threw a bitch and started cussing out everyone he thought was responsible for his fuck up. He was screaming about how "It was for charity"!!!!
And when the Wife told him reading was fundamental I thought he was going to stroke out!!!
The Pitts and Spitts rep. finally told him they'd make him one for the same price to shut him up........again the joke was on him,you can buy the same pit for $800 bucks from their showroom.

It's never too cold. I built an outdoor kitchen, and I'm gonna use it. I keep the brick oven going all year 'round. And I have an oven iron and a wire rack that I can put in there for grilling.

It's never too cold. I built an outdoor kitchen, and I'm gonna use it. I keep the brick oven going all year 'round. And I have an oven iron and a wire rack that I can put in there for grilling.

Thought about a brick oven but the cheapest one I'd consider was was around 6k.
I wouldnt use it enough for that price when I have an offset smoker,a fire magic,a Kamado Joe,which is a really great bread and pizza oven,and a Mak 2 star.

They just came out with the DoJoe for the Kamado that makes bread and pizza cooking even better. I'll stick to the fire pits I made out of a large propane tank for warmth in the winter.
They're around three feet in diameter and a little over a foot deep.
Ya can get em glowing orange with little effort,throw a grill grate over em when they settle down and you can sear the shit out of some steaks!!!

Forum List

Back