Homemade Egg Rolls

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015
Anyone have a good tried & true recipe where the filling is moist and the wrapper is crunchy?

I've thought I'd found a few that sounded good and tried to make them. Actually they did taste great, but too dry and crumbly in the center

upload_2019-1-21_17-33-52.jpeg

1. Finely shredded fresh lettuce, finely shredded carrot, petite peas, finely chopped hamburger, and some shredded cheese.

2. Mix in a bowl and then wrap in your egg roll wrapper.

3. Use egg to hold the wrapper together.

4. Fry in oil.

NOTE: I like stone ground mustard to dip it in and a bowl of wonton soup on the side.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

PS: I just made a batch of those last week. They were great!

I have never done "chinese" style egg rolls but i have used egg roll wraps for many things.
Bacon egg and cheese
Buffalo chicken
Southwestern (corn, shredded chicken, black beans, ranch and a little hot sauce and cabbage)
I always deep fried them and they came out great!
I have an air fryer now but i havent used it for that yet. But i will now!! Lol
I also put cabbage in the buffalo chicken ones as well. Texture is everything

The ones I have made have ground pork, finely shredded cabbage, finely shredded carrot, a little ginger and Chinese 5 spice, soy sauce and I don't remember off hand what else, if anything.
But I was thinking about adding some bean sprouts and mix a little broth with cornstarch for thickening and mix it all in together, then roll & fry.

Those suggestions all sound good too for different flavor options.

OK, I tinkered with this today and may have figured it out.....measurements are approximate and can use 2-3 C packaged coleslaw mix for cabbage & carrots.

1lb ground pork, unseasoned
2 C finely shredded cabbage
1/3 to 1/2 C shredded or finely juilienne cut carrot
1 (14-15oz) can bean sprouts, drained
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 C water or broth
2 T. cornstarch
egg roll wrappers
small bowl of water for sealing

Cook & crumble ground pork, breaking it up as it cooks until no longer pink, drain off fat. Add cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, ginger, 5-spice and soy sauce. Cook & stir until veggies are tender. Mix cornstarch with water or broth & pour into mixture. Cook & stir until well mixed, sauce is thick & bubbly. Set aside to cool.

When mix is cool enough to handle, add a scoop of mixture onto an egg roll wrapper at one corner & roll about halfway, fold in long sides over the ends, dip your fingers in the water & wet the final corner of wrapper, then finish rolling. Fry in hot oil, seam side down to seal, then turn to brown other half.

These tasted great, but I had gotten spring roll wrappers, not egg roll wrappers. Spring rolls are much thinner, and don't hold up so well....delish none the less.

I'm sure by now you have found a good recipe, but if you want to make it all from scratch,this is the best wrap recipe on youtube.
We tried it a couple weeks ago and it came out good especially for first time. A little work but you can make extra and freeze,

Anyone have a good tried & true recipe where the filling is moist and the wrapper is crunchy?

I've thought I'd found a few that sounded good and tried to make them. Actually they did taste great, but too dry and crumbly in the center

OK, I tinkered with this today and may have figured it out.....measurements are approximate and can use 2-3 C packaged coleslaw mix for cabbage & carrots.

1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 C water or broth
2 T. cornstarch
egg roll wrappers

Cook & crumble ground pork, breaking it up as it cooks until no longer pink, drain off fat. Add cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, ginger, 5-spice and soy sauce. Cook & stir until veggies are tender. Mix cornstarch with water or broth & pour into mixture. Cook & stir until well mixed, sauce is thick & bubbly. Set aside to cool.

When mix is cool enough to handle, add a scoop of mixture onto an egg roll wrapper at one corner & roll about halfway, fold in long sides over the ends, dip your fingers in the water & wet the final corner of wrapper, then finish rolling. Fry in hot oil, seam side down to seal, then turn to brown other half.

These tasted great, but I had gotten spring roll wrappers, not egg roll wrappers. Spring rolls are much thinner, and don't hold up so well....delish none the less.

Spring rolls are the way to go! :113:

My friend's mom used to make the best! I might get some today. Unfortunately not hers, but maybe close!

1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 C water or broth
2 T. cornstarch
egg roll wrappers

My friend's mom used to make the best! I might get some today. Unfortunately not hers, but maybe close!

My mom used to work in a Chinese restaurant when I was little, so I grew up with it, and now I make it often. Has always been my favorite.

1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 C water or broth
2 T. cornstarch
egg roll wrappers

Yeah I have too much food to eat at the house to justify that. It is what it is. :(

My friend's mom is Thai. She cooked eggrolls on a cookie sheet. Once a year.

We used to go out and get rabbits and she'd grind them up and bread the meat and fry them in bacon grease and make rabbit burgers.

Forum List

Back