Windows 10 will pack full-screen start menu, tablet mode

Apparently M$ is also taking another play from the Linux playbook and making Win10 "lighter" so it can work on older machines. As opposed to the Win8 (Let's try our version of Unity with Windows) fiasco this looks like a positive step in the right direction.

Apparently M$ is also taking another play from the Linux playbook and making Win10 "lighter" so it can work on older machines. As opposed to the Win8 (Let's try our version of Unity with Windows) fiasco this looks like a positive step in the right direction.

It would be about time wouldn't it?
The daily laptop I use at home is an old Dell Inspiron 15 mfg. late 2011.
It came with Win 7. Even with 4 GB of RAM, after a few years it is sluggish.
Boot up is agonizingly long, and returning from sleep mode is at least a solid minute before drive activity stops.
But I rarely boot into the Win side.
I run Mint 17. Boot up is at least 75% faster, and returning from sleep mode is literally about the time it takes me to enter my password. Seconds.
Launching browsers, using office and viewing PDF's all at the same time is very fast.
Not so on Windows. Not at all.
So it would loooong overdue for Windows to be lighter.

After a few years my Win 7 machines slow down also, or they would if I didn't have a program like CCleaner. Yes, 7 is slow to boot up and slow to shut down but (for me) it has one advantage Linux doesn't have, gaming.
Win 8 (8.1) is fast, very fast but I hate most of the changes M$ made including the requirement for creating a M$ email account simply to log onto one's own computer. They should be legally forced to make that optional.

After a few years my Win 7 machines slow down also, or they would if I didn't have a program like CCleaner. Yes, 7 is slow to boot up and slow to shut down but (for me) it has one advantage Linux doesn't have, gaming.
Win 8 (8.1) is fast, very fast but I hate most of the changes M$ made including the requirement for creating a M$ email account simply to log onto one's own computer. They should be legally forced to make that optional.
That is optional.

That is optional.
Coulda fooled me. How does one make it optional? :dunno:

That is optional.
You just need to create a "local account" which is nothing but a normal user account or cut off the Internet connection during installation. I guess, it is also possible to switch to a local account afterwards.
account.jpg

Last edited:
That is optional.
You just need to create a "local account" which is nothing but a normal user account or cut off the Internet connection during installation. I guess, it is also possible to switch to a local account afterwards.
account.jpg
Okay, guess I missed that somehow, I never saw it or it wasn't properly explained. It wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of people turning on their Win 8 machine for the first time think they have to create a email account to use their computer........

That is optional.
account.jpg
Okay, guess I missed that somehow, I never saw it or it wasn't properly explained. It wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of people turning on their Win 8 machine for the first time think they have to create a email account to use their computer........
Could be possible that Win10 requires an account due to its activation system...

Double checked and yes there is a way to revert to a local account and it appears I was correct in that M$ doesn't make it obvious a connected account is not needed to log on. Matter of fact it's pretty obvious they want people to think one is needed.

Double checked and yes there is a way to revert to a local account and it appears I was correct in that M$ doesn't make it obvious a connected account is not needed to log on. Matter of fact it's pretty obvious they want people to think one is needed.

Just another example of the "Borg-like" mentality of M$.
I agree with you in that they should be legally forced to either remove the option altogether, or make an obvious statement that you do not have to create one to continue. WITHOUT some bloated statement that makes it sound like your world will end if you don't.

I got two programs I need XP for, on a quad boot machine. That's the end of the line for me.

I'm using Mint 17.1 on this machine. Tried it yet? I REALLY like this one, it pretty much does it all and I have it customized just the way I want.
I put Mint on an old HP box....I installed as a duel boot and kept the Winders 7 on it.....but its pretty doggy...can't tell if its the Mint or just an old box about ready to give up the ghost....Seems okay visually, but I haven't yet played with it enough to determine if I want to use it. I may go full install after wiping the HD, that might give it some ummph..

I've not had any problem with My windows 8, and it is fast...However, some games are boggy on this box....and the irony of all ironies is that the worst running game is actually a MS game.......Flight Simulator X gold....doesn't do well on windows 8.

I put Mint on an old HP box....I installed as a duel boot and kept the Winders 7 on it.....but its pretty doggy...can't tell if its the Mint or just an old box about ready to give up the ghost....Seems okay visually, but I haven't yet played with it enough to determine if I want to use it. I may go full install after wiping the HD, that might give it some ummph..

You understand that it is physically impossible for LinuxMint to run slower on an older machine than Win 7?
It takes less RAM and less processing power than Windows.
That would be like saying you use more electricity with a 100 watt incandescent bulb than with a 23 watt fluorescent.

I don´t think so. At first, not every Distro has a large team behind that is able to fix security issues in time or at all . That means that most Distros are insecure in mass utilization. Second, "the lack of attacks" on Linux systems will leave a lot of security holes undiscovered. That is making the system insecure. Luckily, for the same reason, it doesn´t need this security.

However, Ubuntu developers accuse Mint of excluding important updates:
Ubuntu Developers Say Linux Mint is Insecure. Are They Right

There is another thing. The City of Munich examines the re-introduction of Windows as Server downtimes are too long and employees "suffer".
Verwaltungs-PCs Stadt M nchen will von Linux zur ck zu Microsoft - DIE WELT
LiMux Neuer Wirbel um Linux in M nchen heise open

I can't argue that the "scatteredness" of Linux is a problem. Always has been. And yes, if the 100's of small *nix OS's were at the brunt of hackers and script kiddies they would melt with ease.
Having said that, it is changing. Ubuntu and Mint are slowly making others obsolete outside of the server world. I hope it continues.
A truly commercial, branded Linux is needed. RedHat is a good example of a successful commercial Linux brand.
Windows has it's strengths. Like I said earlier, I consider Windows 2000 one of the best OS's made. As well as server 2000, infinitely better than NT Server. I hated NT Server.
Embedded application servers, I can't complain. We have embedded systems that have been running 24 hours a day for years.
My issue with M$ is an old one. You have heard me say it before, no sense rehashing it again.
I liked RedHat....Good O/S....but when they started charging for it, and My net server needs became significantly less, then I really didn't have a use for them.

Does the MInt or Rebecca flavors handle apache and MySQL decently?

You understand that it is physically impossible for LinuxMint to run slower on an older machine than Win 7?
That would be like saying you use more electricity with a 100 watt incandescent bulb than with a 23 watt fluorescent.
All I can say is that the O/S is doggy....MS doggy slow on that box...It may be that I just need to do away with the duel boot and just bite the bullet and install Mint as a stand alone.....I'm just worried that I will lose the drivers for My panasonic CD burners....its the only reason I even have that box anymore....

I don´t think so. At first, not every Distro has a large team behind that is able to fix security issues in time or at all . That means that most Distros are insecure in mass utilization. Second, "the lack of attacks" on Linux systems will leave a lot of security holes undiscovered. That is making the system insecure. Luckily, for the same reason, it doesn´t need this security.

There is another thing. The City of Munich examines the re-introduction of Windows as Server downtimes are too long and employees "suffer".

I can't argue that the "scatteredness" of Linux is a problem. Always has been. And yes, if the 100's of small *nix OS's were at the brunt of hackers and script kiddies they would melt with ease.
Having said that, it is changing. Ubuntu and Mint are slowly making others obsolete outside of the server world. I hope it continues.
A truly commercial, branded Linux is needed. RedHat is a good example of a successful commercial Linux brand.
Windows has it's strengths. Like I said earlier, I consider Windows 2000 one of the best OS's made. As well as server 2000, infinitely better than NT Server. I hated NT Server.
Embedded application servers, I can't complain. We have embedded systems that have been running 24 hours a day for years.
My issue with M$ is an old one. You have heard me say it before, no sense rehashing it again.
I liked RedHat....Good O/S....but when they started charging for it, and My net server needs became significantly less, then I really didn't have a use for them.

I don't know about Apache or MySQL but you might want to take a gander at Fedora, the freebee version of RedHat.

As far as Mint goes, that can depend of the desktop you chose and the video card. Yhere are numerous flavors, you can run it with Gnome3, Cinnamon, XFCE, and a host of others. The easiest on your system will be the lightest of course, I believe XFCE but it's plain Jane. Mate would be a good choice, the computer I have that on is 10 years old w/ 2 gigs of ram and Mate is good looking and very functional with a small footprint.

All I can say is that the O/S is doggy....MS doggy slow on that box...It may be that I just need to do away with the duel boot and just bite the bullet and install Mint as a stand alone.....I'm just worried that I will lose the drivers for My panasonic CD burners....its the only reason I even have that box anymore....
That won't change anything. I have 4 O/Ses on my Windows machine. When you boot to one the others are just partitions.

I don't know about Apache or MySQL but you might want to take a gander at Fedora, the freebee version of RedHat.

As far as Mint goes, that can depend of the desktop you chose and the video card. Yhere are numerous flavors, you can run it with Gnome3, Cinnamon, XFCE, and a host of others. The easiest on your system will be the lightest of course, I believe XFCE but it's plain Jane. Mate would be a good choice, the computer I have that on is 10 years old w/ 2 gigs of ram and Mate is good looking and very functional with a small footprint.
Not the best video card. It came with the system and when I was looking to upgrade it, there were none that would fit it...I can't rememver if its a PCI slot or PCI3X16 or even an AGP slot. LOL....All I know is when I looked it up, no one carried it and I think I was forced to decide on tigerdirect to purchase one. But the system IS old and not worth the money for a video card upgrade. I do remember some talk about Fedora about 8 years ago....The conversation was positive. I wasn't aware it was RedHats free version. What about FreeBSD?

That won't change anything. I have 4 O/Ses on my Windows machine. When you boot to one the others are just partitions.
Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Forum List

Back