Windows 10 is

I am sure you have all seen the same thing, what is downright scary is this...
Let's say I am at work and I search for lawn mowers at Lowes.com. When I get home at night on my Kindle or laptop and look at Facebook...and there is an ad for lawn mowers at Lowes.
Differnt device, different network. How the %#$@ does it know who I am and I was looking at something at work??
Nope, never had that happen. :dunno:

Only happens on facebook.
My guess is that facebook has a deal with M$ that once a person logs into facebook on a Win10 computer...it mines user browser history on that computer, and places ads for that facebook account on any device that account logs into.
Like I said 3-4 years ago, I just knew M$ was going to turn the OS into a mining ad revenue machine.
Each site that has a facebook button tracks you when you are logged in. You don´t need to hit the buttons. Thus, facebook can create and sell quite detailed user profiles.

I am sure you have all seen the same thing, what is downright scary is this...
Let's say I am at work and I search for lawn mowers at Lowes.com. When I get home at night on my Kindle or laptop and look at Facebook...and there is an ad for lawn mowers at Lowes.
Differnt device, different network. How the %#$@ does it know who I am and I was looking at something at work??
Nope, never had that happen. :dunno:

Only happens on facebook.
My guess is that facebook has a deal with M$ that once a person logs into facebook on a Win10 computer...it mines user browser history on that computer, and places ads for that facebook account on any device that account logs into.
Like I said 3-4 years ago, I just knew M$ was going to turn the OS into a mining ad revenue machine.
There's a reason I don't use Facefuck.......... Actually it's only one of many reasons.............

What I can't figure out is how to get the start menu to go back to app search after I've disabled Cortana. I click the windows button, but when I go to type in an app, nothing happens.
Try to search for other things if it also fails. Your issue could be linked to the update KB2956078 .

Took me an hour to figure out how to boot from the optical drive (on my laptop), it wouldn't allow me to create that boot option in BIOs, finally found it under Settings/Update & Security. Watched Win 7 loading then suddenly I get an error message that files failed to load then I accidentally opened the optical drive tray.......... Now it's "boot manage missing, alt-ctrl-delete to restart" over and over and over. Spent another hour and a half trying to fix that with no luck so I just ordered a replacement HD for it. :mad-61:

I had a Windows 7 machine that worked fine until the hard drive went.

I had to buy a new machine with Windows 10. Everything was in a different place and looked different. It doesn't work any better than my old machine, it's just different and was a giant pain in the ass to figure out.

Why can't the Microsoft geeks just leave things alone and fix whatever needs to be fixed without changing the GUI?

I had a Windows 7 machine that worked fine until the hard drive went.

I had to buy a new machine with Windows 10. Everything was in a different place and looked different. It doesn't work any better than my old machine, it's just different and was a giant pain in the ass to figure out.

Why can't the Microsoft geeks just leave things alone and fix whatever needs to be fixed without changing the GUI?

Because then they couldn't make money.
Not really different than a lot of software companies

The replacement hard drive arrived yesterday, replaced the bad one and now this laptop is no longer a Windows machine........... :thup:

The problem, at least for me is Microsoft has taken a completely new direction with Windows 10, an operating system as a service and not just an operating system controlled by the user. Microsoft is famous for relying on number of users data as opposed to actual real user feedback (they have no such feedback system set up) to determine how "popular" their operating systems are. The problem with that approach to determining "popularity" is the typical clueless user who doesn't know there are alternatives and will live/deal with anything Microsoft force feeds them even though they may not like it.

The problem, at least for me is Microsoft has taken a completely new direction with Windows 10, an operating system as a service and not just an operating system controlled by the user. Microsoft is famous for relying on number of users data as opposed to actual real user feedback (they have no such feedback system set up) to determine how "popular" their operating systems are. The problem with that approach to determining "popularity" is the typical clueless user who doesn't know there are alternatives and will live/deal with anything Microsoft force feeds them even though they may not like it.

Absolutely, at least 80% of population has no idea there are other choices of programs other than what comes with the computer the day they bought it.
A great example is Microsoft Office, M$ gets suckers to pay for something that they can get online for absolutely free. If people had any idea they could get Libre Office for free - M$ Office would collapse.
This is the entire reason M$ still exists as a company today.

Absolutely, at least 80% of population has no idea there are other choices of programs other than what comes with the computer the day they bought it.
A great example is Microsoft Office, M$ gets suckers to pay for something that they can get online for absolutely free. If people had any idea they could get Libre Office for free - M$ Office would collapse.
Microsoft does what they do because of arrogance based on self interpreted, limited metric, partial feedback where they believe their own press and the fact they think they are irreplaceable. I would love to be around when the time finally comes when they have to eat the whole humble pie and that time will eventually come unfortunately probably not in my lifetime.
Microsoft is also a business and will do what is best for Microsoft and it's investors, that's to be expected so I don't hold that against them. They have decided on a specific direction to take and are justifying it with their rationale all over the internet, again that's fine, not my problem, I'm not going in their direction. Others will have no problem with the direction and willingly jump on board, again it's their decision and I have no problem with that just like I have no problem with OS X users. I'm just glad there are alternatives to Windows and OS X and that I know about them.

In do not agree. Open/Libre Office is well known but many prefer MS Office. Office 365 is a great success and Microsoft´s profits are skyrocketing.

The idea of the moron who has no clue about anything is just ridiculous. I rather think it is not too smart to switch to another OS with the knowledge you will need the old one for everything but the Browser and the Mediaplayer.

I think Linux should do some reverse-engineering and hack C++ and DX. :rolleyes:

Microsoft would be done, then.

I can't turn off enough invasive crap in Windows 10 to make it viable for my use.

What's bad is that many hardware manufacturers aren't providing support for legacy OSes.

In do not agree. Open/Libre Office is well known but many prefer MS Office. Office 365 is a great success and Microsoft´s profits are skyrocketing.

The idea of the moron who has no clue about anything is just ridiculous. I rather think it is not too smart to switch to another OS with the knowledge you will need the old one for everything but the Browser and the Mediaplayer.
I love the way you justify (like Microsoft) based on specific limited metrics...... Isn't bias confirmation great!! :thup:

Really?
Libre Office is well known? Hardly, in fact I can't think of a single instance where I told someone about it and they had ever heard of it. I would bet my house that fewer than 10% of the U.S. population has any idea about Open/Libre. Let alone some dufus who would rather pay $70-$90 every year to use M$ office.

Really?
Libre Office is well known? Hardly, in fact I can't think of a single instance where I told someone about it and they had ever heard of it. I would bet my house that fewer than 10% of the U.S. population has any idea about Open/Libre. Let alone some dufus who would rather pay $70-$90 every year to use M$ office.
Don't forget he's posting from Germany (or so he says), Linux PC usage is growing in Europe much faster than in the US so a lot more people there may actually know about it so from his perspective he may be correct.

Really?
I have not yet met anyone who uses a computer who hasn´t heard about it.

Really?
You don't live in the US........

Really?
You don't live in the US........
Don´t you have magazines and onlinemags that report about programs like Libre Office?

Forum List

Back