Windows 10 is

Microsucks just released a major Fall Creator's update which reinstalled Cortana back on my machine and it appears to have disabled my ability to make Cortana disappear......... Looking at possibly rolling back this build........ Not a happy camper.......
Windows 10 is not a serious OS.

Microsucks just released a major Fall Creator's update which reinstalled Cortana back on my machine and it appears to have disabled my ability to make Cortana disappear......... Looking at possibly rolling back this build........ Not a happy camper.......
And that's helpful......... how? :dunno:
I already provided you with a solution for that but you only called for "evidence".

I already provided you with a solution for that but you only called for "evidence".
Knumb Knut, it was just released t-o-d-a-y so I have no idea what "solution" you're referring to.

Knumb Knut, it was just released t-o-d-a-y so I have no idea what "solution" you're referring to.
startisback is able to prevent the cortana service from launching with Windows.

I would bet that's not the case right this minute as this release was released t-o-d-a-y and it will take a while for startisback to catch up if they can. Microsucks is trying to make it impossible to remove Cortana, it's gonna take a while to figure out how to do it.

I would bet that's not the case right this minute as this release was released t-o-d-a-y and it will take a while for startisback to catch up if they can. Microsucks is trying to make it impossible to remove Cortana, it's gonna take a while to figure out how to do it.
I have no idea but I guess Cortana still uses the same service. If not, a new version will be released. However, if you use Windows 10, you should not get support anyway. Everything is messed up with each new "update" and needs to be reconfigured. And you have no idea how many new bugs and security holes march in with it.

I have no idea but I guess Cortana still uses the same service. If not, a new version will be released. However, if you use Windows 10, you should not get support anyway. Everything is messed up with each new "update" and needs to be reconfigured. And you have no idea how many new bugs and security holes march in with it.
Yes, I know how many new bugs and holes may exist, I'm not a typical PC user. They took away all the shut off options even in regedit and services.msc with this new version. Seriously considering reinstalling Win 7 and just dealing with it no longer being supported after 2020.

Yes, I know how many new bugs and holes may exist, I'm not a typical PC user. They took away all the shut off options even in regedit and services.msc with this new version. Seriously considering reinstalling Win 7 and just dealing with it no longer being supported after 2020.
I want an OS that works and doesn´t show up with stuff. MS should offer its stuff as external programs.

Two of the good things Microsoft has done with this update is one, if you have uninstalled their original bloatware the update will not reinstall it, they're respecting our choices and two, they've supposedly given us more control over data the they collect. The only thing is you have to log in to your Microsoft account and go to your privacy settings, supposedly you can delete anything they have collected.
As for setting your computer to "metered connections" to block updates Microsoft will now send critical updates over metered connections but nothing else.
They've also supposedly improved Windows Defender, I'll wait for the independent labs to verify that claim.
As for the rest;
What’s New in Windows 10’s Creators Update

This update will be rolled out over the next three months.
Gee, I can't wait. :cranky: I just reset this computer from a Winders 8 upgrade to the full blown 10. I haven't seen any update yet, but I don't remember if I'm on the creator's list or the beta testers list.

What I can't figure out is how to get the start menu to go back to app search after I've disabled Cortana. I click the windows button, but when I go to type in an app, nothing happens.

I want an OS that works and doesn´t show up with stuff. MS should offer its stuff as external programs.
That's why I'm considering going back to Win 7on my gamer, at least we still have full control over updates/upgrades in that OS. As for the rest of my computers it looks like Win 7 also or Linux Mint.

What I can't figure out is how to get the start menu to go back to app search after I've disabled Cortana. I click the windows button, but when I go to type in an app, nothing happens.
You need StartisBack, Classic Shell or something similar, Cortana controls the Windows Explorer search function unless it's replaced by one of those I just mentioned. You can always use a third party Windows search tool if you don't want a start menu replacement, there are are some really good ones available.

You need StartisBack, Classic Shell or something similar, Cortana controls the Windows Explorer search function unless it's replaced by one of those I just mentioned. You can always use a third party Windows search tool if you don't want a start menu replacement, there are are some really good ones available.
Thanks.

I usually use it for those rarely used apps that I don't bother to pin to either the start menu or the task bar. I'll look into it.

Thanks.

I usually use it for those rarely used apps that I don't bother to pin to either the start menu or the task bar. I'll look into it.
With the new Win 10 release you can choose not to use Cortana but it will still run in the background sending anonymous telemetry to Microsoft. Apparently they are also limiting it's browser search function to work only with Edge and Bing, it's a money maker for them.

That's why I'm considering going back to Win 7on my gamer, at least we still have full control over updates/upgrades in that OS. As for the rest of my computers it looks like Win 7 also or Linux Mint.
It´s a good idea. Dx12 games are rare and may not even require Dx12, anyway. And there is no other reason for Windows 10 for a gamer.

Thanks.

With the new Win 10 release you can choose not to use Cortana but it will still run in the background sending anonymous telemetry to Microsoft. Apparently they are also limiting it's browser search function to work only with Edge and Bing, it's a money maker for them.
Well, I'm not too keen on having Cortana running at all. As you say, they use it as a data miner and that isn't right. I don't use Iexplorer or Edge browsers so that doesn't matter to Me.

I am sure you have all seen the same thing, what is downright scary is this...
Let's say I am at work and I search for lawn mowers at Lowes.com. When I get home at night on my Kindle or laptop and look at Facebook...and there is an ad for lawn mowers at Lowes.
Differnt device, different network. How the %#$@ does it know who I am and I was looking at something at work??

Let's say I am at work and I search for lawn mowers at Lowes.com. When I get home at night on my Kindle or laptop and look at Facebook...and there is an ad for lawn mowers at Lowes.
Differnt device, different network. How the %#$@ does it know who I am and I was looking at something at work??
Nope, never had that happen. :dunno:

Nope, never had that happen. :dunno:

Only happens on facebook.
My guess is that facebook has a deal with M$ that once a person logs into facebook on a Win10 computer...it mines user browser history on that computer, and places ads for that facebook account on any device that account logs into.
Like I said 3-4 years ago, I just knew M$ was going to turn the OS into a mining ad revenue machine.

Forum List

Back