Windows 10 is

In do not agree. Open/Libre Office is well known but many prefer MS Office. Office 365 is a great success and Microsoft´s profits are skyrocketing.

The idea of the moron who has no clue about anything is just ridiculous. I rather think it is not too smart to switch to another OS with the knowledge you will need the old one for everything but the Browser and the Mediaplayer.

Really?
Libre Office is well known? Hardly, in fact I can't think of a single instance where I told someone about it and they had ever heard of it. I would bet my house that fewer than 10% of the U.S. population has any idea about Open/Libre. Let alone some dufus who would rather pay $70-$90 every year to use M$ office.
I have not yet met anyone who uses a computer who hasn´t heard about it.
You don't live in the US........
Don´t you have magazines and onlinemags that report about programs like Libre Office?
Yeah but like you we have typical users who don't know or even care to look for them and that's the vast majority of users in the world. They want to turn their computer on and have it just work, they don't care how it works as long as it works. Stop projecting your interests and knowledge base on everyone, we are in the minority..........

In do not agree. Open/Libre Office is well known but many prefer MS Office. Office 365 is a great success and Microsoft´s profits are skyrocketing.

The idea of the moron who has no clue about anything is just ridiculous. I rather think it is not too smart to switch to another OS with the knowledge you will need the old one for everything but the Browser and the Mediaplayer.

Really?
Libre Office is well known? Hardly, in fact I can't think of a single instance where I told someone about it and they had ever heard of it. I would bet my house that fewer than 10% of the U.S. population has any idea about Open/Libre. Let alone some dufus who would rather pay $70-$90 every year to use M$ office.
Don´t you have magazines and onlinemags that report about programs like Libre Office?
Yeah but like you we have typical users who don't know or even care to look for them and that's the vast majority of users in the world. They want to turn their computer on and have it just work, they don't care how it works as long as it works. Stop projecting your interests and knowledge base on everyone, we are in the minority..........
Open Office has almost 30 million downloads from a single page:
Büro-Software Top 100 Downloads aller Zeiten - CHIP

If I add the many other portals and the original webpage, every German computer user has downloaded at least one copy on his own.

Really?

If I add the many other portals and the original webpage, every German computer user has downloaded at least one copy on his own.
You're joking right, that's the metric you're basing your bull shit on? Downloads averaged.........? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think Linux should do some reverse-engineering and hack C++ and DX. :rolleyes:

Microsoft would be done, then.

I can't turn off enough invasive crap in Windows 10 to make it viable for my use.

What's bad is that many hardware manufacturers aren't providing support for legacy OSes.
With my installed Fedora everything (basic operation) appears to work flawlessly, the primary problem I'm having now is trying to install Saurbraten and KPatience, they're not in the software packages and even though I downloaded the Saurbraten tar and extracted it I can't figure out how to install it. Nothing I've done so far has worked.

I think Linux should do some reverse-engineering and hack C++ and DX. :rolleyes:

I can't turn off enough invasive crap in Windows 10 to make it viable for my use.

What's bad is that many hardware manufacturers aren't providing support for legacy OSes.
With my installed Fedora everything (basic operation) appears to work flawlessly, the primary problem I'm having now is trying to install Saurbraten and KPatience, they're not in the software packages and even though I downloaded the Saurbraten tar and extracted it I can't figure out how to install it. Nothing I've done so far has worked.

That probably won't work.

Tarballs are debian-based.

You need umm..drawing a blank. It used to be YUM, to see what repositories are available for your OS. Or maybe it used to be something else and now it's yum.

Fedora is more redhat and CentOS-ish.

You need umm..drawing a blank. It used to be YUM, to see what repositories are available for your OS. Or maybe it used to be something else and now it's yum.

that's what I thought but on the Fedora forum some posters have stated how it can be done though they talking back and forth like coders and not n00b users...........

that's what I thought but on the Fedora forum some posters have stated how it can be done though they talking back and forth like coders and not n00b users...........
With Fedora they're called rpm.

I think it's still yum.

try opening a terminal and typing "yum install yumex"

idk what repositories you have.

Some distros have yumex integrated from the jump with the main repo already there.

Oh yeah! rpm

You definitely want the rpmfusion repo.

Now the question is: Which came first,rpm or yum?

Link to the distro you're using?

I think it's still yum.

Some distros have yumex integrated from the jump with the main repo already there.

Oh yeah! rpm

You definitely want the rpmfusion repo
Looked for yumex in the package manager, it's not there anymore. I also have rpmfusion installed, no luck there either.
Getting Suarbraten and KPat are Fedora make or break issues for me, if I can't get them to work on Fedora then I don't care how pretty it looks or how fast it is, it's gone.

I think it's still yum.

Oh yeah! rpm

Looked for yumex in the package manager, it's not there anymore. I also have rpmfusion installed, no luck there either.
Getting Suarbraten and KPat are Fedora make or break issues for me, if I can't get them to work on Fedora then I don't care how pretty it looks or how fast it is, it's gone.

There is KPat, no Suarbraten.

Solitaire makes or breaks an OS install?

There's a Windows version you could install and run under WINE for sauerbraten, that tarball isn't going to work without some serious fanaglinz.

Last edited:

I think it's still yum.

Oh yeah! rpm

There's a Windows version you could install and run under WINE for sauerbraten, that tarball isn't going to work without some serious fanaglinz.
No KPat, no Saurbraten. Yes, it makes or breaks an OS for me as I want the best games available to me for when I'm gelin' and Wine is relatively useless, hell I was pissed at Microsoft for doing away with the old Win 7 games but found them online. Apparently Fedora doesn't give me what I want.

I think it's still yum.

Oh yeah! rpm

No KPat, no Saurbraten. Yes, it makes or breaks an OS for me as I want the best games available to me for when I'm gelin' and Wine is relatively useless, hell I was pissed at Microsoft for doing away with the old Win 7 games but found them online. Apparently Fedora doesn't give me what I want.

You probably want some kind of Debian gimmick then.

There is KPat, and I'm sure with a little effort you could get sauerbraten to work under WINE. I like Fedora, it's nice and simple.

For gaming, I still use Win7. Was just considering putting Ye Olde Crysis or Warhead onto it. It's so modded, I haven't found anything it doesn't lag yet when under the mortar fire.

I think it's still yum.

Oh yeah! rpm

There is KPat, and I'm sure with a little effort you could get sauerbraten to work under WINE. I like Fedora, it's nice and simple.

For gaming, I still use Win7.
That's okay, I'll install Ubuntu Gnome, same shell as in Fedora Desktop but in Debian, I know they have what I like.

I think it's still yum.

Oh yeah! rpm

That's okay, I'll install Ubuntu Gnome, same shell as in Fedora Desktop but in Debian, I know they have what I like.

If that's what you like, go for it!

I like LXDE. I don't even remember my root, someday I'll have to reinstall.

Yup, Ubuntu Gnome is the exact same shell/layout as Fedora but with everything I want including Dash to Dock which allows one to configure the side Dash Panel, place it on the bottom, extended it from side to side, resize it, make it opaque, etc. It also has an extension to disable the upper let hot corner........ Now that was a good idea!!! I may have just found my favorite Linux distro. :thup:

Yup, Ubuntu Gnome is the exact same shell/layout as Fedora but with everything I want including Dash to Dock which allows one to configure the side Dash Panel, place it on the bottom, extended it from side to side, resize it, make it opaque, etc. It also has an extension to disable the upper let hot corner........ Now that was a good idea!!! I may have just found my favorite Linux distro. :thup:

What desktop were you using?

Ubuntu Unity

Ubuntu Unity

Oook. :uhh:

You like docks n stuff, huh?

Ubuntu Unity

Oook. :uhh:

You like docks n stuff, huh?
Yup. Problem? :dunno:

You're joking right, that's the metric you're basing your bull shit on? Downloads averaged.........? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
What?

Forum List

Back