Wind River

Decent movie.
Watched it last year.
Between that and the Jurassic Park rifle that is what drove Marlin .45-70 rifle prices to the moon. In fact when Ruger started making them again after they bought Marlin it was the first model they made.

For $2200.00....They can keep them.

marlin-1895-rifle-001-1200x800.jpg

Two two guys in front of the trailer went down as normal, but the guy in the trailer was taken off his feet. Renner had only one rifle. Perhaps a little Hollywood at work.
Just a little but a lever-action is no joke as far as quickness goes in the right hands. If memory serves it will hold either 6-7 rounds in that configuration...... The .45-70 cartridge is no joke either in some of the hotter loadings made for modern lever guns.

LOL....Sorry I did not mean to turn this into a "gun thread". Great movie. :)

Just a little but a lever-action is no joke as far as quickness goes in the right hands. If memory serves it will hold either 6-7 rounds in that configuration...... The .45-70 cartridge is no joke either in some of the hotter loadings made for modern lever guns.

LOL....Sorry I did not mean to turn this into a "gun thread". Great movie. :)
Oh, it's all good. Renner sitting in his house making his own rounds was pretty cool, and the scene in the beginning where he killed the wolf, that was a real deal kill (not by him, but by someone).

In the end, when it spoke of no statistics on Native American women missing, there are a lot of these women who go missing, it's pretty shocking how many, and it's even worse in Canada, I think.

Also, the Marlin is a sweet rifle, but with that short a barrel, I wonder if that is actually that accurate at long range. I wouldn't think so.

Oh, it's all good. Renner sitting in his house making his own rounds was pretty cool, and the scene in the beginning where he killed the wolf, that was a real deal kill (not by him, but by someone).

In the end, when it spoke of no statistics on Native American women missing, there are a lot of these women who go missing, it's pretty shocking how many, and it's even worse in Canada, I think.
Most of the time their families just think they took off for a better life someplace else and don't even report them missing till any warm leads are long cold.

Anyone see it?
Yes. Good movie.

Even though it is set in present day, it has all the elements of a classic western.

It really got my attention because it came out right when the 2017 eclipse went through the nation, and I had chosen to travel to that very spot to view the eclipse.

I ended up staying around Casper to see the eclipse and not going up Wind River Valley like I planned because the morning forecast predicted a bit of cloud cover over the valley.

But I had become very familiar with the layout of the valley from when I selected it as my eclipse-viewing destination and planned my trip there.

The last scene is awesome.

"Heard what happened... Heard one's still missing..."

"No...
...No one's missin'."

_______

"I just need to sit here... and miss her for a minute...
...Got time to sit with me?"

"I ain't goin' nowhere."

:eusa_clap:

Between that and the Jurassic Park rifle that is what drove Marlin .45-70 rifle prices to the moon. In fact when Ruger started making them again after they bought Marlin it was the first model they made.

For $2200.00....They can keep them.

marlin-1895-rifle-001-1200x800.jpg
Just don't see the appeal.

Give me a 30-06 magazine fed bolt action anyday over a 45/70 lever. A significantly more capable cartridge in every respect.

You can even get one in lever action of that tickles your fancy...

Give me a 30-06 magazine fed bolt action anyday over a 45/70 lever. A significantly more capable cartridge in every respect.

You can even get one in lever action of that tickles your fancy...

I have a 1901 M1895 SRC in .30 Army (.30-40 Krag).

Keep in mind that most people with a modern .45/70 don't fire factory ammo. .45/70 factory ammo is designed for old low-chamber-pressure guns.

They handload their own ammo to much higher chamber pressures that can be handled by modern guns. Note that he handloaded his own ammo in the movie.

A .45/70 handloaded to high chamber pressures isn't quite on par with an elephant gun, but it's getting near that neighborhood.

Keep in mind that most people with a modern .45/70 don't fire factory ammo. .45/70 factory ammo is designed for old low-chamber-pressure guns.

They handload their own ammo to much higher chamber pressures that can be handled by modern guns. Note that he handloaded his own ammo in the movie.

A .45/70 handloaded to high chamber pressures isn't quite on par with an elephant gun, but it's getting near that neighborhood.
There are now factory loads for modern lever actions that are very good.

This just one:

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/45-70-government-325-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/

So .45/70 means 70 grains in the jacket, huh? I was told by a co worker that he fired .45/120 rounds that he has made. That got me thinking about the physics of it all, whether or not increased velocity means less accuracy but greater range. I definitely liked that Marlin rifle, I've always wanted a Winchester 1873 lever action, due to its historical significance.

So .45/70 means 70 grains in the jacket, huh? I was told by a co worker that he fired .45/120 rounds that he has made. That got me thinking about the physics of it all, whether or not increased velocity means less accuracy but greater range. I definitely liked that Marlin rifle, I've always wanted a Winchester 1873 lever action, due to its historical significance.

I own two, a .44-40 and a .32-20. Both are rifle length (24" barrel).

The last scene is awesome.

"Heard what happened... Heard one's still missing..."

"No...
...No one's missin'."

_______

"I just need to sit here... and miss her for a minute...
...Got time to sit with me?"

"I ain't goin' nowhere."

:eusa_clap:
"Go get him."

"I won't bring him back. You have to know that."

"I do. Go get him."

Forum List

Back