Wind River

Keep in mind that most people with a modern .45/70 don't fire factory ammo. .45/70 factory ammo is designed for old low-chamber-pressure guns.

They handload their own ammo to much higher chamber pressures that can be handled by modern guns. Note that he handloaded his own ammo in the movie.

A .45/70 handloaded to high chamber pressures isn't quite on par with an elephant gun, but it's getting near that neighborhood.
I get that...but what will it do that a 30-06 or 308 can't do.

Pics or it's not true! :Boom2:
.32-20

32_002__2__JPG-2155783.JPG

.44-40

dscn0494-2-jpg.3720155

Attachments

• 44 001 (2).JPG
    44 001 (2).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I get that...but what will it do that a 30-06 or 308 can't do.
That could be reversed to "What will the .30-06 do that the .45/70 can't do?"

Some people like heavy and slow bullets. Some people like light and fast bullets.

Some people even ask "What will the .30-06 do that the .270 Winchester can't do?"

That could be reversed to "What will the .30-06 do that the .45/70 can't do?"

Shoot a heck of a lot flater and therefore extend the effective range considerably.

Some people even ask "What will the .30-06 do that the .270 Winchester can't do?"
That's a little tougher to distinguish...because you have an equivalency of performance here...right down to both being black powder compatible...like comparing an orange to another orange...this one is slightly bigger and that one is a little sweeter...but if you didn't have the other one to compare it to you just have a really good orange.

This is the same reason my own 30/30 spends most of it's time in the safe.
Some people like heavy and slow bullets. Some people like light and fast bullets.
That's fine. If anyone is guilty of owning guns because they like them...it's me.

My point is the 45-70 Guide Gun is being marketed as the end all and be all of powerful rifles.

That's the part I was referencing.

It's great marketing...but from my perspective there are better choices...even against velociraptors.

Personally... If I wanted heavy and slow... I'd choose 450 Bushmaster.

I least you're eliminating the tubular magazine...cause getting shot by security guards with machine guns while reloading a tubular magazine is on the low end of my to-do list.

I love single action revolvers and I own a bunch...but I don't carry one...and even if I had a Magnum Research 45-70 single/double I wouldn't carry that either over a 9mm...because the 9mm 17+1 or 21+1 is just more capable and versatile.

Those are just my thoughts...my nutnfancy philosophy of use. YMMV.

That's probably all I have to say about that.

On topic...Wind River is one of my favorite modern movies.

Jeremy Renner nails the soft spoken, capable, unpreturbable rural non-hero hero and loyal friend every country boy aspires to be.

I love single action revolvers and I own a bunch...but I don't carry one...
If I carried a .44 magnum (or .454 Casull) for bear protection, I'd make it a single action.

That hump on a double action grip drives the recoil right into your hand.

Jeremy Renner nails the soft spoken, capable, unpreturbable rural non-hero hero and loyal friend every country boy aspires to be.
Agreed. It's an amazing movie.

Forum List

Back