Will the Supreme Court end affirmative action in colleges?

I had something like a 2.2 in high school. Only reason I got into my college was wrestling. What is the drop out rate of college 50%? So I saw half the people in my dorms fail out as I went on to get my bachelor degree.

If only they had a test to figure out which smart little rich white boys were going to get home sick and waste their parents money.
That's why students should have a gap of two years between high school and college where they are expected to work a job or give military service before going back to school. Instead of a bunch of immature 18 year-olds partying it up, you'd have 20 year-olds with two years of work experience who would probably have a better appreciation of what a degree could give them.

They were talking about this on NPR this morning. They were explaining what's going to happen if the Supreme Court does away with AA. A lot of companies and universities will continue to diversify. Look for ways around it. For example, if you live in the Detroit zip code, you may get special preference because you come from a high poverty area. You could be white too. Just so happens most of the people in that zip code are black.

And as far as benefiting our society, AA has great benefits. Imagine there is no affirmative action so rich spoiled white kids are the only people who get into the best schools. Society doesn't benefit from them very much. Now imagine instead of Harvard taking all 10,000 whites, they take 2000 blacks because of Affirmative action. Those black people benefit their families and communities greatly. That's the best I can explain it but does that make sense?

If you let 2000 poor blacks from Detroit into UofM and Harvard and Yale, those 2000 Americans are going to benefit our society much more than if we go back to only letting whites with the best grades in. Rich white kids like my nephews who went to the best private schools, got the best tudors, who helped them take their SAT's and ACT's.

If we do away with AA, the gap between rich and rest of us gets bigger. It doesn't shrink. AA makes the gap shrink which is a good thing.

But the right wing supreme's will say it's unconstitutional.
AA is a horrible thing. Discrimination based on someone’s race, gender, social status or whatever is wrong

It probably should be ended. It is racist. It treats different races differently. Does society in general still do that?

not since about 1968 or thereabouts..

Then there's the fact that Blacks make things harder for their race than they naturally are when they treat Whitey differently than their own people.. But still, affirmative action is discriminatory
You have to be kidding, there is no way and I mean no way in hell you can be serious.

Why was AA created?
to discriminate against certain people to try and give an advantage to others that were discriminated against

two wrongs don’t make a right…jobs, education etc shouldn’t be based on ones race or gender or social status etc

So the people who benefit from it are being discriminated against. That doesn't make any sense.
sorry, the people who aren’t benefiting from it

with that said, there is an argument to be made that people that do benefit from it are also harmed…the old “you only got here because of AA” line. People that otherwise would of made it to Harvard or to a position based on their actual merit have a stigma.

sorry, the people who aren’t benefiting from it

with that said, there is an argument to be made that people that do benefit from it are also harmed…the old “you only got here because of AA” line. People that otherwise would of made it to Harvard or to a position based on their actual merit have a stigma.
That doesn't make sense, why are you afraid to state why AA was created in the first place? Are you talking about folks like Uncle Thomas? A man who got into Law School on a AA program and then after he reaches the pinnacle of his career now he wants to whine about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Well you have to have a pair of boots to pull up first.

That doesn't make sense, why are you afraid to state why AA was created in the first place? Are you talking about folks like Uncle Thomas? A man who got into Law School on a AA program and then after he reaches the pinnacle of his career now he wants to whine about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Well you have to have a pair of boots to pull up first.
i already did

what does my make sense to you?

Who’s your Uncle Thomas?

Why is it so hard for you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps? Sounds like you are whining that someone might treat you equally and you are scared

i already did

what does my make sense to you?

Who’s your Uncle Thomas?

Why is it so hard for you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps? Sounds like you are whining that someone might treat you equally and you are scared

It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps.
Martin Luther King Jr.

What was the need for AA if everything was equal?

That's why students should have a gap of two years between high school and college where they are expected to work a job or give military service before going back to school. Instead of a bunch of immature 18 year-olds partying it up, you'd have 20 year-olds with two years of work experience who would probably have a better appreciation of what a degree could give them.
That’s a damn good idea! Then they could save up for school too. Or figure out they dont need college.

One thing about republicans message that you don’t need to go to college. My brother is rich so I’m around rich kids all the time. Only one of them is going to be a plumber. The rest of them are going to college. And they will make on average a million dollars more than those who don’t. That’s a fact. But that’s not a problem for rich people. So their kids are all going. They don’t care college is becoming too expensive for middle class people.

Ever wonder why your brother, who you've mentioned before, is not dirt poor like you malaka? Did your parents prefer him to you, give "tudors" and sent him to private schools while you went to Detroit public schools with no "tudors"?
I’m not dirt poor. I’d be the most successful person in your family.

I have a theory on first borns. They usually are smarter because they get 100% of mom and dads attention until i was born. Then I had to share that first year with him.

My younger nephew isn’t as smart as the oldest. Why? But his parents spent a lot of time with the younger and got him expensive tudors and people to help him take the act or sat.

My brother went to community college first year. He only applied to Michigan state university because I got a wrestling scholarship and he was like fuck that. I’m not staying home when my little brother is going away. He got into MSU but struggled his first year. A counselor told him maybe MSU wasnt for him. That motivated him. He went on to get a masters. The kind that fast tracks you to middle management in Fortune 500s. They come to the school and hire you for starting $80k in 1995.

He is a good example for why Affirmative Action is a great idea. He didn’t have the best grades or score tha high on those tests. But given the chance he rose to VP of a Fortune 500.

So why was AA created?
We all know why. To deal with inequality, bias and racism, past and present injustices.

I was looking at the definition of affirmative action. I’m for affirmative action but not quotas. It should be a goal not mandated. If the best person is white hire the white. If everything is equal and your company is too white, go with the black or woman.

Not government mandated. But groups should protest, boycott or call out the companies that don’t have diversity programs. I’ll buy my chicken sandwich from the diverse company.

go back and read my response to you when i answered you

do you actually or read peoples post? obviously you are a great example of how AA didn’t actually work
I have read it a few times, it makes no sense.

to discriminate against certain people to try and give an advantage to others that were discriminated against

two wrongs don’t make a right…jobs, education etc shouldn’t be based on ones race or gender or social status etc

So you are telling us AA was created to discriminate against certain folks, who would that be?

Forum List

Back