Will the Supreme Court end affirmative action in colleges?

I hope they do what they're supposed to do. We can thank Trump, Ginsberg and McConnell, in that order.
It was McConnell who stole the courts at all levels

It is he you owe your thanks

It probably should be ended. It is racist. It treats different races differently. Does society in general still do that?

not since about 1968 or thereabouts..

Then there's the fact that Blacks make things harder for their race than they naturally are when they treat Whitey differently than their own people.. But still, affirmative action is discriminatory

It's gonna never happen
Blacks are the privileged class
Whites are evil, Nazis, racists and Friends of Putin
Everyone knows all founders were blacks ( with some chinks and Jews of course )

It probably should be ended. It is racist. It treats different races differently. Does society in general still do that?

Then there's the fact that Blacks make things harder for their race than they naturally are when they treat Whitey differently than their own people.. But still, affirmative action is discriminatory

Mind if I bump this old thread rather than start a new one?

In 1961, President John F. Kennedy issued an executive order that called on government contractors to "take affirmative action” to ensure that applicants and employees be treated “without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin."

Mind if I bump this old thread rather than start a new one?

In 1961, President John F. Kennedy issued an executive order that called on government contractors to "take affirmative action” to ensure that applicants and employees be treated “without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin."

Affirmative Action was a major success and almost all American families benefitted from it

Affirmative Action was a major success and almost all American families benefitted from it
They were talking about this on NPR this morning. They were explaining what's going to happen if the Supreme Court does away with AA. A lot of companies and universities will continue to diversify. Look for ways around it. For example, if you live in the Detroit zip code, you may get special preference because you come from a high poverty area. You could be white too. Just so happens most of the people in that zip code are black.

And as far as benefiting our society, AA has great benefits. Imagine there is no affirmative action so rich spoiled white kids are the only people who get into the best schools. Society doesn't benefit from them very much. Now imagine instead of Harvard taking all 10,000 whites, they take 2000 blacks because of Affirmative action. Those black people benefit their families and communities greatly. That's the best I can explain it but does that make sense?

If you let 2000 poor blacks from Detroit into UofM and Harvard and Yale, those 2000 Americans are going to benefit our society much more than if we go back to only letting whites with the best grades in. Rich white kids like my nephews who went to the best private schools, got the best tudors, who helped them take their SAT's and ACT's.

If we do away with AA, the gap between rich and rest of us gets bigger. It doesn't shrink. AA makes the gap shrink which is a good thing.

But the right wing supreme's will say it's unconstitutional.

They were talking about this on NPR this morning. They were explaining what's going to happen if the Supreme Court does away with AA. A lot of companies and universities will continue to diversify. Look for ways around it. For example, if you live in the Detroit zip code, you may get special preference because you come from a high poverty area. You could be white too. Just so happens most of the people in that zip code are black.

And as far as benefiting our society, AA has great benefits. Imagine there is no affirmative action so rich spoiled white kids are the only people who get into the best schools. Society doesn't benefit from them very much. Now imagine instead of Harvard taking all 10,000 whites, they take 2000 blacks because of Affirmative action. Those black people benefit their families and communities greatly. That's the best I can explain it but does that make sense?

If you let 2000 poor blacks from Detroit into UofM and Harvard and Yale, those 2000 Americans are going to benefit our society much more than if we go back to only letting whites with the best grades in. Rich white kids like my nephews who went to the best private schools, got the best tudors, who helped them take their SAT's and ACT's.

If we do away with AA, the gap between rich and rest of us gets bigger. It doesn't shrink. AA makes the gap shrink which is a good thing.

Let's not stop with "getting into" the best schools. The better question is, how many graduate? Washing out with massive student debt is the worst of all outcomes.

Ever wonder why your brother, who you've mentioned before, is not dirt poor like you malaka? Did your parents prefer him to you, give "tudors" and sent him to private schools while you went to Detroit public schools with no "tudors"?

Let's not stop with "getting into" the best schools. The better question is, how many graduate? Washing out with massive student debt is the worst of all outcomes.
Many of the whites who had higher grades and SAT scores failed out too. UofM and Harvard are not easy.

What the blacks who come from poverty prove is that despite the lower grades and act scores, many of them succeed.

And we know that a Detroit A is not as good as a Metro Detroit B.

Many of these black kids didn't go to pre school. They say pre school is huge as far as a student being successful. Poor people can't afford it and don't have access to it.

I say we are short changing ourselves if we ignore the 80% of the poor population and ignore the fact it's not a level playing field. WHo knows how smart those poor kids might be if they had access to all the same stuff rich (white) kids have.

And forget about "is it fair". What about the fact the outcomes are better when we implement AA? The results are better when we allow blacks in despite the fact they may not have as good of grades as whites.

Right now we can't find doctors to work in Detroit. Maybe that's another reason medical schools should have AA? More black doctors means more doctors in Detroit. They still have to pass the classes you know.

Many of the whites who had higher grades and SAT scores failed out too. UofM and Harvard are not easy.
No, they are not, but is it a good thing if higher percentages of lower scoring applicants flunk out? And if they're graduating at the same percentages as higher scoring applicants, I'd like to know why, because then high scores don't really predict academic success and we need to figure out what does. We don't do any student any favors when we shoehorn them into programs they can't successfully finish.
What the blacks who come from poverty prove is that despite the lower grades and act scores, many of them succeed.

And we know that a Detroit A is not as good as a Metro Detroit B.

Many of these black kids didn't go to pre school. They say pre school is huge as far as a student being successful. Poor people can't afford it and don't have access to it.
My generation didn't have pre-school, heck, I didn't have kindergarten, yet they had to recalibrate the SAT for the next generations because their scores kept dropping. More school isn't always the best answer, better school is.
I say we are short changing ourselves if we ignore the 80% of the poor population and ignore the fact it's not a level playing field. WHo knows how smart those poor kids might be if they had access to all the same stuff rich (white) kids have.
Not ignoring them, steering them into schools that are more likely to see them graduate into successful careers. I wouldn't steer a rich white kid into the top elite Ivy League schools unless they showed the aptitude necessary to excel, because every kid who gets into a program he/she doesn't deserve knocks another kid out who could probably do it better.
And forget about "is it fair". What about the fact the outcomes are better when we implement AA? The results are better when we allow blacks in despite the fact they may not have as good of grades as whites.
Can you quantify what you mean by "the outcomes are better when we implement AA"?
Right now we can't find doctors to work in Detroit. Maybe that's another reason medical schools should have AA? More black doctors means more doctors in Detroit. They still have to pass the classes you know.
If they pass the same classes with the same requirements, absolutely they should be assumed to be competent doctors. If, however, they "pass" with lower scores than those required from students with different colored skin, they haven't met the requirements. You might as well lower the physical requirements to be a fireman so wheelchair bound applicants can be accepted. Sure, they have the coat and the hat, but you wouldn't expect them to carry an unconscious person down 5 flights of stairs.

And, I have to question your assertion that more black doctors means more doctors in Detroit. Black doctors are just as likely as white doctors to choose more lucrative, less dangerous places to live and work.

No, they are not, but is it a good thing if higher percentages of lower scoring applicants flunk out? And if they're graduating at the same percentages as higher scoring applicants, I'd like to know why, because then high scores don't really predict academic success and we need to figure out what does. We don't do any student any favors when we shoehorn them into programs they can't successfully finish.

My generation didn't have pre-school, heck, I didn't have kindergarten, yet they had to recalibrate the SAT for the next generations because their scores kept dropping. More school isn't always the best answer, better school is.

Not ignoring them, steering them into schools that are more likely to see them graduate into successful careers. I wouldn't steer a rich white kid into the top elite Ivy League schools unless they showed the aptitude necessary to excel, because every kid who gets into a program he/she doesn't deserve knocks another kid out who could probably do it better.

Can you quantify what you mean by "the outcomes are better when we implement AA"?

If they pass the same classes with the same requirements, absolutely they should be assumed to be competent doctors. If, however, they "pass" with lower scores than those required from students with different colored skin, they haven't met the requirements. You might as well lower the physical requirements to be a fireman so wheelchair bound applicants can be accepted. Sure, they have the coat and the hat, but you wouldn't expect them to carry an unconscious person down 5 flights of stairs.

And, I have to question your assertion that more black doctors means more doctors in Detroit. Black doctors are just as likely as white doctors to choose more lucrative, less dangerous places to live and work.
I had something like a 2.2 in high school. Only reason I got into my college was wrestling. What is the drop out rate of college 50%? So I saw half the people in my dorms fail out as I went on to get my bachelor degree.

If only they had a test to figure out which smart little rich white boys were going to get home sick and waste their parents money.

Forum List

Back