Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Guest columnist
The Democratic Party's anti-Semitism problem

By Edward Alexander
Special to The Times

THE SEATTLE TIMES

Some have argued that the Democrats' reluctance to criticize the anti-Semitic demagoguery of the aforementioned politicians can be explained by the fact that they are all blacks, and white liberals believe that blacks are their equals in every sense — except that of being equal. Perhaps.

It is true that when Democratic Congressman James Moran of Virginia, who is white, charged in 2003 that "the leaders of the Jewish community" sent the country to war in Iraq, he was criticized (no more than that) by fellow Democrats. Also, on May 20 of this year, Ernest Hollings, the South Carolina Democratic senator, alleged, on the floor of the Senate, that Bush had sent the country to war "in order to win Jewish votes." (Apparently Hollings, during his seven terms, had never discovered that a majority of Jews would vote Democratic even if Yasser Arafat and Osama bin Laden were at the top of the ticket.)

To his credit, Kerry on the very next day condemned Hollings for "lend[ing] credence to... anti-Semitic stereotypes that have no place in America or anywhere else." Nevertheless, it is clear that the Democrats have a growing "problem" at the grass-roots or Michael Moore level of the party that they know not how to deal with.

By contrast, the Republicans, when Trent Lott made remarks in 2002 that could be construed as racist, promptly forced him from his position as Senate majority leader. More to the point, Pat Buchanan, who never misses a chance to stick it to the Jews, was roundly denounced for his anti-Semitic pronouncements, in a 40,000-word National Review essay of 1991 by the party's leading intellectual figure, William Buckley.

Buckley not only labeled Buchanan a menace to the body politic, but urged Republicans to expel him from their midst, which they eventually — though not quickly enough — did. By 2000, Buchanan was forced to run for the presidency on the Reform Party ticket, after which he retreated to the world of journalism from which he had emerged.

Outside of the Islamic world, the anti-Semitic upsurge of recent years is mainly a left-wing phenomenon. It is therefore not surprising that it should have brought the Democratic Party, more swiftly than the Republicans, to that dark and bloody crossroads where politics and conscience collide.

Most jews in the US still live in NY and having lived there for a 3.5 years recently i can pretty safely say the answer to your question is NO. they will not be voting for the GOP. In NY the only republicans they vote for are people who were democrats but could not get the democrats to back them so they change to republican to run in the general election.

Bush is a liberal, but he does not fit the part about being a democrat for years.

Travis

tpahl said:
Most jews in the US still live in NY and having lived there for a 3.5 years recently i can pretty safely say the answer to your question is NO. they will not be voting for the GOP. In NY the only republicans they vote for are people who were democrats but could not get the democrats to back them so they change to republican to run in the general election.

Bush is a liberal, but he does not fit the part about being a democrat for years.

Travis

Badnarik is an isolationist. Your 'fact' about NY is not quite right:

http://www.rense.com/general30/nat.htm

Regional Distribution

Jews are dispersed across the country, but their regional distribution differs markedly from that of non-Jews. There has been very little change in the regional distribution of Jews since 1990. (See Map 1) However, mobility of native-born Jews has been very substantial over their lifetimes.

* The Jewish population is skewed to the Northeast (43%), where proportionately more than twice as many Jews as non-Jews (19%) reside. The region containing the fewest Jews is the Midwest, where the proportion of Jews (13%) is almost half that of non-Jews (23%). Jews are also proportionately underrepresented in the South (22% versus 35% for non-Jews). The only region in which Jews are in equal proportion to non-Jews is the West (22% Jews versus 23% non-Jews).

* 38% of U.S.-born adult Jews live in a different region of the country than the one in which they were born. Among these native-born adults, there has been movement from the Northeast (-16%) and Midwest (-4%) to the South (+13%) and West (+8%). (See Map 2)

Kathianne said:
Badnarik is an isolationist.

And old MacDonald has a farm. But what does it have to do with this conversation?

Your 'fact' about NY is not quite right:

http://www.rense.com/general30/nat.htm

oops. You are right. But the whole NE has much the same attitude torwards republicans. Even though as you know I think republicans are much liberal than they should be it is taken to the extreme in the NE. And that is where 43% of jews live as that said and if they do not live there they still usually have ties there.

My favorite jewish political organization is the Jews for preservation of Firearms organization. www.jpfo.com

Travis pahl

Kathianne said:
About as much as this:

I'm saving this! :laugh:

It is not the first time i have been wrong, nor will it be the last. I have even admited here a few times now. I am sure you will see more in the months ahead as well. I have never been afraid to admit when I am wrong. How do you think i came to become a libertarian? :)

I don't know if stats are kept on this, but Jews usually vote D. This is because Jews feel safer in a multiracial environment, which the Democrats promote. Republicans are seen as the white, authoritarian, "Nazi" party. For an understanding of why Jews dislike white gentiles and seek to undermine them, you must read "The Culture of Critique".

The fact that Bush promotes Israel's interests by launching wars on its behalf, one might think, would garner Jewish interest, and to some extent, it does. But in general, Jews are liberal.

The Jews that I know in Tex are shifting to the Gop for 2 reasons--his economic policies and his WOT. They are also realizing that the Dems have SO MANY minorities to "protect" that they are losing influence. They don't appreciate the Dems wanting Palestinian rights in Israel.

Forum List

Back