Will the Democratic Party survive Obama?

Doc91678

Rookie
Nov 13, 2012
Binghamton
By Conn Carroll
January 23, 2013

American Prospect editor Harold Meyerson writes in today’s Washington Post:
Harold Meyerson: Obama forges a new majority - The Washington Post

“We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change we seek,” candidate Barack Obama said in 2008. At the time, his comments came in for criticism: They were narcissistic; they were tautological; they didn’t make a whole lot of sense.

But in the aftermath of Obama’s 2012 reelection and his second inaugural address, his 2008 remarks seem less a statement of self-absorption than one of prophecy. There is an Obama majority in American politics, symbolized by Monday’s throng on the Mall, whose existence is both the consequence of profound changes to our nation’s composition and values and the cause of changes yet to come.

After back-to-back presidential victories, there clearly is an “Obama majority in American politics” … as long as Obama is on the ballot. But will that majority exist in the future? The evidence we have so far suggests not.

Take Prince William County in northern Virginia, which was recently identified by The New York Times as the poster county for the Obama Majority. In 2008 and 2012 over 160,000 voters turned out to give Obama identical 16 point margins over John McCain and Mitt Romney respectively. But in 2009, when Obama was not on the ballot, only 75,000 voters turned out to vote in Prince William and Republican Bob McDonnell crushed Democratic Creigh Deeds by an even bigger 18-point margin. Then in 2010, again with no Obama on the ballot, 91,000 Prince William voters turned out to vote and they voted for Republican House candidates, 52 percent to 46 percent.

If the Obama Majority supposedly arrived in 2008, where did it go in 2009 and 2010? Will it show up in 2014 or 2016? Even Obama’s closest advisers sound skeptical. “The organization doesn’t exist without belief in the candidate,” White House senior adviser David Plouffe told Politico after November’s election. “They turned out for Barack Obama. It was all because of him.”

Obama’s 2012 campaign manager, Jim Messina, echoed Plouffe:

You know, this organization was built for people who supported this president … those people were involved because of the issues and positions the president took, and … you can’t just hand it to the next candidate. They have to have their own relationship with voters.​

Democrats are even more concerned now that the Obama campaign has announced they will create a 501c4 non-profit entity to push Obama’s agenda. Fred Hudson, vice chairman of the Virginia Democratic Party, told National Journal:

We need a unified organization that will bring about victories in 2013 and 2014, and we don’t need to be splitting our efforts. It’s a recipe for how to lose an election. We’ve been told there will be no competition for fundraising, but that’s difficult for me to accept, and there will certainly be competition for staff and volunteers.​
***snip***

Continue reading: ---->
Conn Carroll: Will the Democratic Party survive Obama? | WashingtonExaminer.com

I believe the Democrat party will survive Obama. I see these polls where confidence is at its lowest since Jimmy Carter. Well, big deal, you had a chance to do something about it but you didn't . I could care less about polls showing Obama's disapproval ratings, or lowest confidence. I could care less about if people think the Democrat party will survive. They have their stenographers in the media to be there for them, cover up for them, and promote their marxist agenda. They have the Boehner lead Republicans who are the Democrats rubber stamps. There is no opposition party. Too many lazy people in this country do not want to work, they just want to freeload, and the Democrat party is the party of freeloaders, so they will have no problem surviving if not thriving.

Wasn't that long ago people thought the democratic party was dying, look how that turned out. The one thing we know for sure is that the majority party will eventually screw up enough to get themselves voted out of office.

Wasn't that long ago people thought the democratic party was dying, look how that turned out. The one thing we know for sure is that the majority party will eventually screw up enough to get themselves voted out of office.

They get voted out when they don't screw up. See Al Gore.

The fatigue factor in 2 term Presidents is more powerful than many believe. If the Democrats wish to overcome it, they need someone totally different than Obama in style; not so much in substance which doesn't matter as much or hasn't mattered as much in recent elections.

the two party system isnt the problem you dunce

I disagree strongly. However, you are entitled to your opinion.....too bad it's wrong.

(that's actually a joke, your opinion is as valid as mine)

oh, i forgot......you twit.
lol

tell me what you would replace the two party system with?

this is off topic, but I will answer.
I would like to see the financial rules about campaign funding revised to provide the same funding to 3rd, 4th and 15th parties funded just as the top two are now.

The control that the dems and reps have exerted to control this funding has choked the smaller parties out by starving them of cash.

If we had several, not two, political parties, maybe, just maybe we could have national elections where we didn't have to choose between the lessor of two evils.

just my 2cents and again its off topic so I apologize.

Forum List

Back