Will China Overtake the US as the Number One Economic Superpower?

konkon

Mar 4, 2011
The general consensus might be 'yes', but I don't think China will overtake the US as the number one economic superpower, even if China has greater wealth than the United States.

China will one day have greater net wealth that the US, but it will not control the world's economy the way the US does. One thing that we have learnt over the past few years is even with a financial crisis all eyes still turn to the US to see what the next move is. This will continue and will be strengthened by the US's ability to control, to its advantage, its position in the world's economy. An example of what is going on is the US's ability to put pressure on devaluing its currency, which then helps its exporters. Another side to this effect is a low USD creates inflation around the world (including China) and makes the price of soft and hard commodities to go up. This can have a pricing-out effect on some competing nations.

Inflation and commodity prices are tied to the US dollar and this gives the US all the advantage it needs to control the world economy as it generally sees fit. China will not be in a position to take this control off the United States and it will try very hard to do so. One reason is because the US has an established foothold in the dynamics of the world's economy and it won't give that up. It will also have a more superior military force than the Chinese, so it can pretty much give them and anyone else the finger if it needs to.

Another crucial point is that China does not have a key understanding of how a dynamic and sometimes out of control capitalist market works. You just can't go on controlling every aspect of an economy. The US and the west has too much of a head-start in this game. If China frees-up its markets then it will face the prospect of unrest, higher inflation, a very strong yuan (which will kill its exports) and possible revolt by some provinces down the track.

Last edited:
no they won't

they are in the 2nd spot.....

they were in the 2nd spot 2000 years ago as well.....

i don't think they will ever make it out of 2nd place//

Will China Overtake the US as the Number One Economic Superpower?

No. The US may, however, fall back to the Chicom level. Libs would love to enable that.

Yes, well, they may stay #2 but we can't wipe our butts without their cheap exports.

The general consensus might be 'yes', but I don't think China will overtake the US as the number one economic superpower, even if China has greater wealth than the United States.

China will one day have greater net wealth that the US, but it will not control the world's economy the way the US does. One thing that we have learnt over the past few years is even with a financial crisis all eyes still turn to the US to see what the next move is. This will continue and will be strengthened by the US's ability to control, to its advantage, its position in the world's economy. An example of what is going on is the US's ability to put pressure on devaluing its currency, which then helps its exporters. Another side to this effect is a low USD creates inflation around the world (including China) and makes the price of soft and hard commodities to go up. This can have a pricing-out effect on some competing nations.

Inflation and commodity prices are tied to the US dollar and this gives the US all the advantage it needs to control the world economy as it generally sees fit. China will not be in a position to take this control off the United States and it will try very hard to do so. One reason is because the US has an established foothold in the dynamics of the world's economy and it won't give that up. It will also have a more superior military force than the Chinese, so it can pretty much give them and anyone else the finger if it needs to.

Another crucial point is that China does not have a key understanding of how a dynamic and sometimes out of control capitalist market works. You just can't go on controlling every aspect of an economy. The US and the west has too much of a head-start in this game. If China frees-up its markets then it will face the prospect of unrest, higher inflation, a very strong yuan (which will kill its exports) and possible revolt by some provinces down the track.

Head.....meet sand.

Yes, they will.

The only question is what will they allow us to be for them?

I'm an American (more so than most), but I've never understood our arrogance.

3000 years of history say otherwise, but for some reason, we think we are special. Different. Superhuman.

Follow the money.

You'll find your true Superpower.

Head.....meet sand.

Yes, they will.

The only question is what will they allow us to be for them?

I'm an American (more so than most), but I've never understood our arrogance.

3000 years of history say otherwise, but for some reason, we think we are special. Different. Superhuman.

Follow the money.

You'll find your true Superpower.

You are fine to have a different opinion, but do you really think that anyone who disagrees with you has their heads in the sand?

Depends on what we mean by "economic superpower". Will China have the world's highest amount of output? Absolutely. That's to be expected when you're the largest country on the planet. Even at that point though, per capita incomes in China being about what they are in Brazil.

Superpowers come and go historically. Ask Britain Spain and Rome. China has been there in the distant past. Perhaps again.
The economic and political balance of the last 70...100 years is due to the two catastrophic European wars and the decade long war between Japan and China.

Thanks to size, geographic isolation and our ability to cull talent from the rest od thw world's countries we ended up on top by 1945. Benefit to not killing our Jews accepting immigrants and not having the war fought in our economic bread basket.

Now the world is recovering. 300 million Americans on xx% of the world's surface may have to count on some intangibles to dominate the other 6 billion humans across the globe.

A readjustment to some kind of 1911 or 1935 level is to be expected. Hopefully we can out perform that.

Hopefully as other countries rise and can flex regional muscle my kid doesnt get tied up fighting a goofy war over Croatia or Taiwan which will break us. Hopefully we can maintain a decent standard of living like England has after their run ended instead of having a collapse like the European Dark ages or historical China has.

Things to consider:

The Chinese civilization has been around for more than seven thousand years. They have learned a few things during that time.

The Chinese people have endured ages of starvation and tyrannical oppression. The centuries of poverty they are now emerging from has imbued them with the kind of energy and stamina which has long since drained from the fat and pampered American population. The Chinese people are patient, wise and studious. Americans are not.

The Chinese now own the industries which enabled America to achieve economic dominance. We literally sold out to them. What we have left are slowly evaporating vestiges of what once was political and economic greatness. What we have now is the most massive example of audacity in human history.

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it. (George Santayana)

Those who know history also know how depressingly similar we are to ancient Rome.

China has a population five times the size of the US. They need a larger economy than ours.

The US has been building its infrastructure over the last 100 years. China has a lot of catching up to do. The shortcuts they are taking with environmental and labor regulations will also eventually catch up with them

If Republicans have their way, "YES".

You've had this talking point for quite awhile.

What jobs did the Republicans ship to China and why?

Try this one:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/157886-how-do-republicans-define-jobs-3.html#post3394400

Did that help?

No.

Those jobs were going away regardless. I don't have enough information to determine whether the U.S. Chamber was correct in their seminars, but I know that the intent was to keep management and control of the operations based here in the USA.

Things to consider:

The Chinese civilization has been around for more than seven thousand years. They have learned a few things during that time.

The Chinese people have endured ages of starvation and tyrannical oppression. The centuries of poverty they are now emerging from has imbued them with the kind of energy and stamina which has long since drained from the fat and pampered American population. The Chinese people are patient, wise and studious. Americans are not.

The Chinese now own the industries which enabled America to achieve economic dominance. We literally sold out to them. What we have left are slowly evaporating vestiges of what once was political and economic greatness. What we have now is the most massive example of audacity in human history.

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it. (George Santayana)

Those who know history also know how depressingly similar we are to ancient Rome.

China has a huge problem with their planned economy, their plans have to work or else the entire structure collapses. This was the same problem in the 1970s and all they've done is kick the can down the road. At some point they will have their day of reckoning.

Strategically it would be unwise for them to ever invade the USA. Economically, it would be unwise for them to try and take control of the financial system that has bought them time for 80 years.

We can make do without their stuff if we have the need to do so, I say that as I type on a Chinese computer. It's fast and it works well for me but that doesn't mean I can't get by on something different and it doesn't mean I can't build something functional myself if I have to. It won't be as nice or pretty, but it will work.

If you think in the 7000 year history China has just now figured out how to make centralized control work then you are in good company with all those who have been wrong for 6999 years.

China has a population five times the size of the US. They need a larger economy than ours.

The US has been building its infrastructure over the last 100 years. China has a lot of catching up to do. The shortcuts they are taking with environmental and labor regulations will also eventually catch up with them

Yup!

You've had this talking point for quite awhile.

What jobs did the Republicans ship to China and why?

Try this one:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/157886-how-do-republicans-define-jobs-3.html#post3394400

Did that help?

No.

Those jobs were going away regardless. I don't have enough information to determine whether the U.S. Chamber was correct in their seminars, but I know that the intent was to keep management and control of the operations based here in the USA.

So that's the answer? Those jobs were leaving anyway?

I remember when I was younger, if a "star" or an "athlete" was "caught" having their "stuff" made in a Haitian "sweat shop", it used to be a huge scandal.

Now, Republicans have discovered that if you paint the inside walls a bright white and put in a cafeteria, you can work people 50 to 60 hours a week and pay them 51 cents an hour and no one cares. Especially, with collusion of the communist government in charge.

Sure, a lot of people commit suicide. So they put up "nets" around the buildings to "solve" the problem.

Now, some of those very same Republicans see China as a "business model". Go figure.

No.

So far, yes. Mind you, I've only given this some serious consideration just because you have repeated it over and over and over again so I figured it might be another opportunity to find out how flawed you are. Meh, I'm bored.

I remember when I was younger, if a "star" or an "athlete" was "caught" having their "stuff" made in a Haitian "sweat shop", it used to be a huge scandal.

Times change and I'm not racist.

Now, Republicans have discovered that if you paint the inside walls a bright white and put in a cafeteria, you can work people 50 to 60 hours a week and pay them 51 cents an hour and no one cares. Especially, with collusion of the communist government in charge.

Well then they are pretty fucking incompetent since there are way more than 2.4 million manufacturing jobs in the US.

Sure, a lot of people commit suicide. So they put up "nets" around the buildings to "solve" the problem.

Now, some of those very same Republicans see China as a "business model". Go figure.

Protectionism isn't a solution, no matter how much you and the 6% of your friends think it is.

http://overthecoals.blogspot.com/2011/03/chinese-are-way-smarter-than-americans.html

No.

So far, yes. Mind you, I've only given this some serious consideration just because you have repeated it over and over and over again so I figured it might be another opportunity to find out how flawed you are. Meh, I'm bored.

He's in a trance.

Screwed Again: Chinese are way smarter than Americans

Times change and I'm not racist.

Well then they are pretty fucking incompetent since there are way more than 2.4 million manufacturing jobs in the US.

Protectionism isn't a solution, no matter how much you and the 6% of your friends think it is.

He's in a trance.

Screwed Again: Chinese are way smarter than Americans

Forum List

Back