Wiki--- leaking = Espionage

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Espionage Act 1917
It made it a crime:

To convey information with intent to interfere with the operation or success of the armed forces of the United States or to promote the success of its enemies. This was punishable by death or by imprisonment for not more than 30 years.

To convey false reports or false statements with intent to interfere with the operation or success of the military or naval forces of the United States or to promote the success of its enemies when the United States is at war, to cause or attempt to cause insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, refusal of duty, in the military or naval forces of the United States, or to willfully obstruct the recruiting or enlistment service of the United States. This was punishable by a maximum fine of $10,000 fine and up to 20 years in prison.
Espionage Act of 1917 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18 U.S.C. § 793
(a) Whoever, for the purpose of obtaining information respecting
the national defense with intent or reason to believe that the
information is to be used to the injury of the United States, or to
the advantage of any foreign nation, goes upon, enters, flies over,
or otherwise obtains information concerning any vessel, aircraft,
work of defense, navy yard, naval station, submarine base, fueling
station, fort, battery, torpedo station, dockyard, canal, railroad,
arsenal, camp, factory, mine, telegraph, telephone, wireless, or
signal station, building, office, research laboratory or station or
other place connected with the national defense owned or
constructed, or in progress of construction by the United States or
under the control of the United States, or of any of its officers,
departments, or agencies, or within the exclusive jurisdiction of
the United States, or any place in which any vessel, aircraft,
arms, munitions, or other materials or instruments for use in time
of war are being made, prepared, repaired, stored, or are the
subject of research or development, under any contract or agreement
with the United States, or any department or agency thereof, or
with any person on behalf of the United States, or otherwise on
18 U.S.C. § 793 : US Code - Section 793: Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information

An interesting note in the Times story concerns WikiLeaks chief Julian Assange: "White House officials e-mailed reporters select transcripts of an interview Mr. Assange conducted with Der Spiegel, underlining the quotations the White House apparently found most offensive. Among them was Mr. Assange's assertion, 'I enjoy crushing bastards.' " Assange told reporters he wanted the material to lead to "new policies, if not prosecutions." His agenda is clear.

washingtonpost.com

Frankly this case that involves Pvt. Manning and the group known as Wikileaks should be agressivly prosecuted. Acts such as wikileaks leads to the deaths of US Military and Allied forces engaged in operations as well as those that are friendly to the US and it's allies. Further, obtaining an then publishing classified materials for the purpose of changing policy gives aid and comfort to our enemy and is an act of espionage. It remains to be seen if the WH will persue this matter, but it is my hope they do in this matter. One more thing before you who support the scum at wikileaks, this case is NOT the Pentagon papers but Im sure that many who agree with these people will try and point to that.

People are going to die because of this. Further, anyone who has provided us intelligence is going to fade away and the intel will dry up. No one will want to work with us anymore.

Manning and Assange need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent -- Manning for treason and espionage, Assange for espionage.

While I may not be a legal scholar, it does appear that publishing "classified" DOD documents is transmitting them is it not? Assange in my opinion has been very open about what his intentions are in publishing this material and in doing so as has been mentioned will result in a host of issues. Sec. Gates was quite correct in his statement about Assange when he said the man has blood on his hands. As for Pvt. Manning, I don't want to speculate on this, but it does appear that he and Mr. Assange have been involved in this issue. What I really am trying to get a handle on here is the WH reaction to this issue which seems tepid at times and at other times, as no big deal.

So who leaked it?

It's alleged that Pvt. Manning obtained the "classified" material and then sent it to Assange who then published it. So as mentioned before Manning is on trial for disclosing over 15,000 documents to Assange . The Documents it's alleged Manning obtained by hacking a DOD intranet system. So yes, Assange should be tried for Espionage and Manning should be tried for both. As the Taliban has already said they are using the documents to obtain names of anyone who works for the US and it's allies to punish them. One other thing worth mentioning here. Assange's site wikileaks has gone so far in the past as publishing US Military members Social Security numbers that have been obtained by acts of Espionage. To simply dismiss this as a 1st Amendment issue is to dismiss how the material was obtained and then by the very act of publishing "classified material that was obtianed in such a manner. Mr. Assange is guilty of espionage agianst the United States.

Last edited:
Would any of you think Wikileaks should be prosecuted if they had published leaked documents that prove that the government is plotting a military coup?

To simply dismiss this as a 1st Amendment issue is to dismiss how the material was obtained and then by the very act of publishing "classified material that was obtianed in such a manner. Mr. Assange is guilty of espionage agianst the United States.

Hey Navy, glad to see you posting: Always a refreshingly intelligent topic and discussion.

I don't see how anyone but the ACLU could argue against Assange's guilt. He clearly should be made an example of the CINC's absolute intolerance of anything that is published that could endanger the lives of US Armed Services.

However, I doubt this CINC/Harvard Lawyer is as interested in protecting the lives of US troops as he is appeasing his the liberals that make up his political base.

People are going to die because of this. Further, anyone who has provided us intelligence is going to fade away and the intel will dry up. No one will want to work with us anymore.

Manning and Assange need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent -- Manning for treason and espionage, Assange for espionage.

Article III Section 3 of the US Constitution:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

Uh what? Clear wording of the law is intent to interfere with the success of the operations. If Wikileaks wasn't trying to do so, they have no case.

Article III Section 3 of the US Constitution:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
Bingo.

So, what was the intent?

Ask the wikileaks founder. 2:1 says he's not going to say he was trying to sabotage our troops overseas. The clear wording of the law throughout is intent to hurt operations. If their intent was to let the American people see documents that they feel should be seen, then their intent is not to hurt American operations.

So, what was the intent?

Ask the wikileaks founder. 2:1 says he's not going to say he was trying to sabotage our troops overseas. The clear wording of the law throughout is intent to hurt operations. If their intent was to let the American people see documents that they feel should be seen, then their intent is not to hurt American operations.

Yeah, well, since wikileaks founder isn't posting in the thread, and you are, then why don't you explain how the intent "to let the American People see Documents" isn't any excuse for spying and publishing espionage.

Yeah, well, since wikileaks founder isn't posting in the thread, and you are, then why don't you explain how the intent "to let the American People see Documents" isn't any excuse for spying and publishing espionage.

It's not my job to get involved in this pissing contest about whether they are criminals or not. I'm merely pointing out the obvious that if they are going to take this to a court of law, they're going to have to prove intent which is going to be extremely difficult.

There are a couple of lawyers on here, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to explain to you how it could possibly work in court.

It's not my job to get involved in this pissing contest about whether they are criminals or not. I'm merely pointing out the obvious that if they are going to take this to a court of law, they're going to have to prove intent which is going to be extremely difficult.

There are a couple of lawyers on here, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to explain to you how it could possibly work in court.

:eusa_eh:

Apparently, the "obvious" is too complex for you to explain?

next.

So, what was the intent?

Where the hell do you get that?

The intent of the release of documents was clearly to hurt American operations.

They disliked the war thus they released the docs...thus they committed espionage.

I wonder why libs always have this Anything Goes mentality????:cuckoo:

:eusa_eh:

Apparently, the "obvious" is too complex for you to explain?

next.

What is there to explain? The law says intent, they have to prove intent in a court of law. If you want to get into semantics of whether their intent was to hurt operations, that's a whole different thing.

Where the hell do you get that?

The intent of the release of documents was clearly to hurt American operations.

They disliked the war thus they released the docs...thus they committed espionage.

I wonder why libs always have this Anything Goes mentality????:cuckoo:

Link?

Forum List

Back