Why whites are blind to their racism

I think it's sad that there are black people who spend their entire lives trying to convince the world that they should be pitied and propped up because of their insistence that they are substandard.

Racism: Negative Effects on Whites

Racism has distorted reality for many whites. Teachings about history, the world, the pursuits of thought, expressions of culture, and personal relationships have for most whites been both limited and false.
Coming from a racist black perspective.

Why white people can't face up to racism
Enrique Cerna

Robin DiAngelo grew up poor and white. But it was years before she realized that despite living in poverty, she still had privilege because she was white.

"I had a very deep sense of shame and otherness growing up… But I had never looked at how, where in my life did I have an advantage? And where might I have been actually benefiting from the oppression of somebody else?” she says.

DiAngelo has been working on race and social justice issues for more than 20 years as a lecturer, consultant and trainer. She’s the author of the book, What Does It Mean to Be White? Developing White Racial Literacy.

She came to understand her advantage and privilege when she took a job as a diversity trainer. It was eye opening as she worked with mainly white clients who were uncomfortable with having to deal with the issue of race. It was through that work that she developed the concept of “white fragility” to explain why white people have such difficulty in talking about racism.

DiAngelo and I talked about her work and why it is important for white people to have a serious conversation about race in America today.

Here are some excerpts from our conversation.

Q: Let’s talk about white fragility. What is it?

A: If you try to talk to white folks about race in a way that just allows them to assert their opinions and perspectives unchallenged, that tends to go pretty well. But if you push back on it, that tends to go really poorly.

I saw it so consistently in my work trying to talk to white people about race and racism and trying to guide them in self-reflection about 'What does it mean to be white?’ And it looked like a form of fragility. And fragility is not weak. I think that it’s weak in the sense of the difficulty to hold the discomfort, but it ends up functioning to block the challenge, to stop the conversation. It’s actually quite powerful in its effectiveness. It really does block the conversation, protect our worldviews and allow us to continue on without really understanding

Q: Or doing anything about it.

A: Exactly.

Q: I moderated a town hall about race. It included Mark O’Mara, the attorney who represented George Zimmerman in the shooting death trial of Trayvon Martin. I asked why is it so difficult for white people to talk about race? And his take on it was that they don’t have to.

A: Prior to the Civil Rights Movement, you could pretty openly come out as a white person and proclaim, Yes we are better. We deserve what we have because we are a fundamentally superior people. This is the great joke of Archie Bunker; his children were saying, You can’t say that anymore Dad! So, post-civil rights, to be a good, moral person and to be complicit with racism were morally exclusive. So, if you suggest I’ve done anything racist you’ve basically just suggested that I’m for racism…and, of course, that is a character insult to me. And now I need to defend my character…. This makes it virtually impossible to talk to white people about the inevitable blind spots and assumptions and patterns that we have across race by virtue of living in the society that we live in.

Q: Sometimes, in talking to someone who is white about issues of race, they say, I’m not racist. I think if you have to say that then maybe you have some tendency to be that way.

A: I’m hoping all the white people listening right now just heard you say that. It’s not convincing. So much of what we say, our claims, what we provide as evidence that we are not racist, it’s so problematic. It’s so unexamined. And it just isn’t convincing. What you’re probably thinking is, Uh oh, I’m probably interacting with someone who doesn’t have a lot of self-awareness.

Q: And I get angry about it.

A: The person will say that you’re too sensitive, right? It’s like this maddening Catch-22.

Another classic is: I was taught to treat everyone the same. I think that’s probably the number one white racial narrative. But that’s not actually humanly possible. We make meaning of the world through the cultural framework we were socialized to make meaning of it through. And it’s infused with biases and assumptions.

Q: You got your Ph.D. at the University of Washington and your focus was on whiteness. Then you started doing diversity work. What was the aha moment?

A: We had to go through a five-day train the trainer and it was a very racially mixed group of people. For the first time, my racial worldview was being challenged in a sustained, consistent way. It was very intense and then we went out into the field. And we were in rooms filled primarily with white people who were so angry and hostile and so upset that they had to have this conversation.

And over time, because it’s so predictable and patterned, the sociologist in me kind of said, Okay, what are we doing? And so then I got better and better at speaking back to it. I do want to add that because I grew up poor, I had a very deep sense of shame and otherness growing up. And I could have told you all about it, and I’m female and I could just tell you all the ways that I had never had an advantage. But I had never looked at how, where in my life did I have an advantage? And where might I have been actually benefiting from the oppression of somebody else? And so having that to draw from… helped motivate me.

Q: So what is the responsibility of someone who is white on issues of race?

A: When we think about race, we think about asking you [people of color], what’s it like? And for as long as we’ve been doing that, people of color have been saying, Well, actually why don’t you look at yourselves? Is it possible that you might be our problem? And certainly, there’s a relationship here. I do think that the way race has been set up in this country, it is a white problem. And if white people don’t get involved in addressing it, we can only support and maintain it.

Coming from a racist black perspective, who is in constant search of excuses to push his racism on the whites.

Enrique Cerna

Robin DiAngelo grew up poor and white. But it was years before she realized that despite living in poverty, she still had privilege because she was white.

"I had a very deep sense of shame and otherness growing up… But I had never looked at how, where in my life did I have an advantage? And where might I have been actually benefiting from the oppression of somebody else?” she says.

DiAngelo has been working on race and social justice issues for more than 20 years as a lecturer, consultant and trainer. She’s the author of the book, What Does It Mean to Be White? Developing White Racial Literacy.

She came to understand her advantage and privilege when she took a job as a diversity trainer. It was eye opening as she worked with mainly white clients who were uncomfortable with having to deal with the issue of race. It was through that work that she developed the concept of “white fragility” to explain why white people have such difficulty in talking about racism.

DiAngelo and I talked about her work and why it is important for white people to have a serious conversation about race in America today.

A: If you try to talk to white folks about race in a way that just allows them to assert their opinions and perspectives unchallenged, that tends to go pretty well. But if you push back on it, that tends to go really poorly.

I saw it so consistently in my work trying to talk to white people about race and racism and trying to guide them in self-reflection about 'What does it mean to be white?’ And it looked like a form of fragility. And fragility is not weak. I think that it’s weak in the sense of the difficulty to hold the discomfort, but it ends up functioning to block the challenge, to stop the conversation. It’s actually quite powerful in its effectiveness. It really does block the conversation, protect our worldviews and allow us to continue on without really understanding

Q: I moderated a town hall about race. It included Mark O’Mara, the attorney who represented George Zimmerman in the shooting death trial of Trayvon Martin. I asked why is it so difficult for white people to talk about race? And his take on it was that they don’t have to.

A: Prior to the Civil Rights Movement, you could pretty openly come out as a white person and proclaim, Yes we are better. We deserve what we have because we are a fundamentally superior people. This is the great joke of Archie Bunker; his children were saying, You can’t say that anymore Dad! So, post-civil rights, to be a good, moral person and to be complicit with racism were morally exclusive. So, if you suggest I’ve done anything racist you’ve basically just suggested that I’m for racism…and, of course, that is a character insult to me. And now I need to defend my character…. This makes it virtually impossible to talk to white people about the inevitable blind spots and assumptions and patterns that we have across race by virtue of living in the society that we live in.

Q: Sometimes, in talking to someone who is white about issues of race, they say, I’m not racist. I think if you have to say that then maybe you have some tendency to be that way.

A: I’m hoping all the white people listening right now just heard you say that. It’s not convincing. So much of what we say, our claims, what we provide as evidence that we are not racist, it’s so problematic. It’s so unexamined. And it just isn’t convincing. What you’re probably thinking is, Uh oh, I’m probably interacting with someone who doesn’t have a lot of self-awareness.

A: The person will say that you’re too sensitive, right? It’s like this maddening Catch-22.

Another classic is: I was taught to treat everyone the same. I think that’s probably the number one white racial narrative. But that’s not actually humanly possible. We make meaning of the world through the cultural framework we were socialized to make meaning of it through. And it’s infused with biases and assumptions.

Q: You got your Ph.D. at the University of Washington and your focus was on whiteness. Then you started doing diversity work. What was the aha moment?

A: We had to go through a five-day train the trainer and it was a very racially mixed group of people. For the first time, my racial worldview was being challenged in a sustained, consistent way. It was very intense and then we went out into the field. And we were in rooms filled primarily with white people who were so angry and hostile and so upset that they had to have this conversation.

And over time, because it’s so predictable and patterned, the sociologist in me kind of said, Okay, what are we doing? And so then I got better and better at speaking back to it. I do want to add that because I grew up poor, I had a very deep sense of shame and otherness growing up. And I could have told you all about it, and I’m female and I could just tell you all the ways that I had never had an advantage. But I had never looked at how, where in my life did I have an advantage? And where might I have been actually benefiting from the oppression of somebody else? And so having that to draw from… helped motivate me.

A: When we think about race, we think about asking you [people of color], what’s it like? And for as long as we’ve been doing that, people of color have been saying, Well, actually why don’t you look at yourselves? Is it possible that you might be our problem? And certainly, there’s a relationship here. I do think that the way race has been set up in this country, it is a white problem. And if white people don’t get involved in addressing it, we can only support and maintain it.

All my life I have seen agendas designed to get African Americans to join the social comfort construct you spouted. A lot of white people have been put on the back burner to uplift African American people over the decades. Saying that, people have been putting their hand out saying "come on grab it and we all can live better". And there has been resistance to it. With behavior destroying any chance of real brotherhood. Teaching the children hate at a young age and living with the mantra of being "cool and not an Uncle Tom" will never, ever end this. There are many white peole with problems also. This psyche crap ended many generations of hate smearing books decades ago to me. If it looks like and excuse and smells like and excuse.....its an excuse. We all have them.

Enrique Cerna

All my life I have seen agendas designed to get African Americans to join the social comfort construct you spouted. A lot of white people have been put on the back burner to uplift African American people over the decades. Saying that, people have been putting their hand out saying "come on grab it and we all can live better". And there has been resistance to it. With behavior destroying any chance of real brotherhood. Teaching the children hate at a young age and living with the mantra of being "cool and not an Uncle Tom" will never, ever end this. There are many white peole with problems also. This psyche crap ended many generations of hate smearing books decades ago to me. If it looks like and excuse and smells like and excuse.....its an excuse. We all have them.
In each human being, (be it white, black, red, brown, olive or whatever their color might be), their are always going to be people within the color categories that are racist or worse (trying to form groups that are racist), but why????????.. What creates a racist individual or group ???

Racist - Is it a formed opinion against an individual or group, that is then based upon the actions of the individual or group that in turn causes the racism or racist attitude to form or is it just not liking a person's skin color ??? Now how stupid is the last one noted ??

Otherwise racism isn't just formed out of thin air nor is it based upon one's skin color, so maybe the title or label is completely wrong or made up right ???

It is an on going study by many, just as it is with this IM2 character.

Racist can be found in any individual's color or in any group of people whom come together under the banner for various reasons, and thus decide to become (in a lot of ways), a collection of individuals that are banded together to engage in certain racist activities, actions, speakings, and formed identities that are used against their opposition in order to allow the opposition to either know them through these things or maybe not when encountering them.

Now is a racist individual or a racist group as is formed, opposed to any individual or group as based upon the opposed individual or group's color or by the opposed individuals or groups actions instead ??????? I say it is always based on one's actions that starts it all.

Without the actions of the opposed individuals and/or groups actions being taken, then those who are banded together against a person's skin color is really ridiculous right, and so skin color really means nothing in the entire equation right ??

The sad part is for all those who get caught up in the bullcrap, and just because they just so happen to be of the same color as a racist individual or group who has racist within the specific colored group (for which they are in no way a part of), then they are dragged into the group or placed there by others who then oppose the color instead of the actions of the group or of the individual instead. That's how stupid racism is.

a·sym·met·ri·cal
[ˌāsəˈmetrək(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE

• having parts which fail to correspond to one another in shape, size, or arrangement; lacking symmetry.
    • having parts or aspects that are not equal or equivalent; unequal in some respect.
This word and definition will become very important here as the attacks begin.

Wed Jul 2nd 2008 by abagond

Most white Americans are blind to their racism. At least seven out of ten. And even those whites who do see it, most think it is not all that serious. Most whites live in nearly all-white neighbourhoods and see nothing racist in that. And when blacks do complain of racism, most whites do not believe it.

So why are whites so blind to their own racism? There is a short answer and a long answer.

The short answer is that they are not directly affected by it. They are never at the receiving end. Because they are white.

So when blacks talk about racism whites either have a hard time understanding it – because it is not something they have ever experienced – or they think blacks are making a big deal out of nothing: they are being too sensitive, they are living in the past and all that.

That is the short answer. The long answer is this:

America was founded on two crimes: taking the land of the red man and bringing the black man in chains to work it. To feel right and good about that whites had to be racist. They had to think of themselves as far better and more human than others.

So not only was the country built on racism, so were the hearts and minds of white people.

Back then racism was open, naked, violent and respectable. So respectable, in fact, that any white person who was was not racist, who related to blacks as equals, was called names or worse!

But then all that changed.

Starting in the 1970s racism became a sin among white Americans. It became kind of like how sex used to be: something you did not talk about openly and when you did you felt uncomfortable about it. It even had dirty words to go with it, especially the n-word. “Racist” became one of the worst things you could call a white person.

Because racism was no longer respectable it weakened considerably. But it was still there, it was still a part of how whites saw themselves and the world – but now they could not admit to it!

So then it got strange:

On the one hand, to hold on to their unfair position and advantages in society, to their white privilege, and feel right and good about it, whites had to believe racist lies. Like that blacks lacked brains or a willingness to work hard.

And yet, on the other hand, they knew that racism was wrong.

So in the 1970s whites reached a fork in the road: either give up racism and its advantages, in pride, position and wealth, or hang onto racism by becoming blind to it.

As it turned out, they gave up some of their advantages, like places at universities, but by and large they became blind. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

YOU and others like you are the problem in this country.

white People Pretending To Be Black people - Din Du Nuffin & We Wuz Kangz

Most White People in America Are Completely Oblivious

Black people have to learn everything about white people just to stay alive. White people just don't get that.

Black people have to learn everything from white people just to stay alive ??????

Black people have to learn everything about white people just to stay alive. White people just don't get that.

How so?

Black people have to learn everything from white people just to stay alive ??????

Learn what about white people ?? Hmmm, maybe learn about all their weak spots, just so they can be set up or get screwed over by the government that is controlled by the swamp ?? All for the agenda eh ???

Learn what about white people ?? Hmmm, maybe learn about all their weak spots, just so they can be set up or get screwed over by the government that is controlled by the swamp ?? All for the agenda eh ???

He's really an idiot. :auiqs.jpg:

" White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded – about themselves and about the world they live in. White people have managed to get through entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac. … People who cling to their delusions find it difficult, if not impossible, to learn anything worth learning: a people under the necessity of creating themselves must examine everything, and soak up learning the way the roots of a tree soak up water. As people still held in bondage must believe that “Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make ye free”.

“No Name in the Street” (1972) by James Baldwin.

Delusional white children grow up to be delusional white adults posting in places like this.

Racism has produced in white society a mental health problem: characteristic responses among many whites are dominated by unfounded fear of blacks, hatred, suspicion, guilt, shame, and jealousy. These words are the language of disease.

Racism has produced in white society a mental health problem: characteristic responses among many whites are dominated by unfounded fear of blacks, hatred, suspicion, guilt, shame, and jealousy. These words are the language of disease.

Hello. Question...

Dr. Umar Johnson Ph.D, Dr. Boyce Watkins Ph.D, Dr. Shonna Etienne.jpg

It’s a widely known fact that if you bring up racism enough in public a white person will materialize to tell you that race simply isn’t a major factor in our lives. Sure, racism was real way back when, but not now, they’ll say. Nobody alive today owned slaves, they’ll say. I never see racism, they’ll say. Back up your claim and prove racism exists, they’ll say.

You’ll present a rational argument. You’ll give them studies, persuasively written articles, and suggest books for them to read. You’ll share your personal experiences and the experiences of those you know navigating our white supremacist landscape.

They’ll argue the data aren’t sound. The writers of the articles too biased. They’ll never read the books. And they’ll dismiss the experiences as anecdotal and not representative of broader society—and don’t you dare call it a white supremacist society. That really makes white people flip their shit.

I’ve had this conversation with whites way too many times, but I have recently realized how backwards it is. There’s no need to prove a foundational component of our national composition continues to shape its present state. The burden of proof is on those who claim this historical reality has been interrupted. The fact that racism exists in the United States is uncontroversial from a historical viewpoint. Ours is a nation founded on genocide, land-theft, and chattel slavery. There’s no debate over this. There’s also no debate over the existence of institutional racism throughout Old Jim Crow in the century that followed emancipation. (Nor is there any honest debate regarding the existence of institutional racism now.)

In that context the position that racism still exists in the United States requires no evidence- Jim Crow actually represented progress at one point, but it certainly didn’t mark an end to racism. I’m sure whites at the time argued it did. Like whites today, I’m sure they demanded proof racism still existed after emancipation.

So as I have asked many times and never can get answered despite all the silly ludicrous crap from white idiot racist extremists like most of you:

Prove when racism ended and its effects were allayed. Show, with data and peer-reviewed studies supporting your argument, when the effects of the hundreds of years of anti-Black racism from chattel slavery through Old Jim Crow leveled off. Show when the wealth expropriated during that oppression was repaid to those it was expropriated from and through. And remember, after you’ve addressed the end of anti-Black racism you’ll still have to explain when anti-Latinx, anti-Asian, anti-Arab, and anti-Native racism came to an end as well.

It’s a widely known fact that if you bring up racism enough in public a white person will materialize to tell you that race simply isn’t a major factor in our lives. Sure, racism was real way back when, but not now, they’ll say. Nobody alive today owned slaves, they’ll say. I never see racism, they’ll say. Back up your claim and prove racism exists, they’ll say.

You’ll present a rational argument. You’ll give them studies, persuasively written articles, and suggest books for them to read. You’ll share your personal experiences and the experiences of those you know navigating our white supremacist landscape.

They’ll argue the data aren’t sound. The writers of the articles too biased. They’ll never read the books. And they’ll dismiss the experiences as anecdotal and not representative of broader society—and don’t you dare call it a white supremacist society. That really makes white people flip their shit.

I’ve had this conversation with whites way too many times, but I have recently realized how backwards it is. There’s no need to prove a foundational component of our national composition continues to shape its present state. The burden of proof is on those who claim this historical reality has been interrupted. The fact that racism exists in the United States is uncontroversial from a historical viewpoint. Ours is a nation founded on genocide, land-theft, and chattel slavery. There’s no debate over this. There’s also no debate over the existence of institutional racism throughout Old Jim Crow in the century that followed emancipation. (Nor is there any honest debate regarding the existence of institutional racism now.)

In that context the position that racism still exists in the United States requires no evidence- Jim Crow actually represented progress at one point, but it certainly didn’t mark an end to racism. I’m sure whites at the time argued it did. Like whites today, I’m sure they demanded proof racism still existed after emancipation.

So as I have asked many times and never can get answered despite all the silly ludicrous crap from white idiot racist extremists like most of you:

Prove when racism ended and its effects were allayed. Show, with data and peer-reviewed studies supporting your argument, when the effects of the hundreds of years of anti-Black racism from chattel slavery through Old Jim Crow leveled off. Show when the wealth expropriated during that oppression was repaid to those it was expropriated from and through. And remember, after you’ve addressed the end of anti-Black racism you’ll still have to explain when anti-Latinx, anti-Asian, anti-Arab, and anti-Native racism came to an end as well.

Copy pasted from Huffpost
Next Time Someone Asks You To Prove Racism Exists, Give Them This | HuffPost

" White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded – about themselves and about the world they live in. White people have managed to get through entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac. … People who cling to their delusions find it difficult, if not impossible, to learn anything worth learning: a people under the necessity of creating themselves must examine everything, and soak up learning the way the roots of a tree soak up water. As people still held in bondage must believe that “Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make ye free”.

“No Name in the Street” (1972) by James Baldwin.

Delusional white children grow up to be delusional white adults posting in places like this.
If ever there was a bigger moron than you, I haven't run across them yet.

You are moron numero uno here.

Really do not care.

When you are the minority in the country you live in you have to learn to live like the majority and not demand they change to make you feel special...

So when Hispanics become the majority just hope you learn Spanish because you will discover they do not care about you and your wishes...

Forum List

Back