Why We Are Not Making Progress Against Racism

No, they aren't the problem. Those like you are.

Are you 9 years old? I'm rubber and you're glue!

Snoopy-S.gif

Criticize is one thing but racist lies are another
you should learn the difference between telling a lie and an opinion....
To say that Obama did not do much to stop racism denies how whites were the problem.
no actually that was my opinion of Obama....never said the evil white man wasnt part of the problem....
And you did say something about Watters because you were asking me to answer your question about what she said
you were saying i said something about her personally,which we both know never happened....and you never did answered that question .....i wonder why?...

Probably because people are bored of "racism". We're all looking for the next big controversy.

Bored of racism. Only someone white can say that. A prime example of white privilege.

It's true though. Why should people like me give a shit? There is no incentive to. Especially when giving a shit means having to deal with people like you. Not worth the hassle, really.

Actually it's not even close to true junior. And so what you are saying is that you want to continue getting racial preferences. My son is 30 years old. You don't know enough to try me young boy. You're dumb John. Truly you have much to learn.

If I'm getting racial preference, why WOULDN'T I want that to continue? What's my incentive for changing? Something guys like you have never been able to figure out; people don't change for no reason. People generally are driven by SELF-INTEREST. Make the case for self-interest. Only then will you see change.

Of course, you aren't interested in that; you just like calling strangers names online.

A perfect reflection of the problem.

Posted by Algernon Austin on September 21, 2017

“At this point, the whole race thing is over . . . it doesn’t matter anymore. We’ve transcended it. Now we have a black president, so clearly we are not racist,” stated one young woman after the first election of Barack Obama as president of the United States. In the euphoria of Obama’s first election, many Americans—on the left, right, and center—agreed that America had become post-racial. Today, many on the left recognize that America is still struggling with racism. But what liberals may not fully appreciate is the degree to which the rest of America is still deep within a post-racial haze.

New research from social psychologists at Yale and Northwestern Universities reveals that Americans—especially rich, white Americans—greatly overestimate how much racial progress we have made toward economic equality. Averaging across 5 economic measures, the researchers find that Americans estimate that we have made about 25 percent more progress toward black-white economic equality than we actually have made.

Worse still, Americans are most inaccurate on the most important economic measure—wealth. Scholars have come to recognize that wealth—the value of assets minus debts—is the most important measure of a family’s overall economic well-being. The social psychologists find that Americans overestimate our progress toward black-white wealth equality by about 80 percent. Today, for every dollar of wealth that whites have, blacks have only a few cents.

This view that black people are economically equal with white people or are rapidly approaching equality is part of what is animating conflicts over racism today. For example, the journalist Jesse Washington reports, “a lot of the people who are upset with the [NFL] flag protests do not believe that African-Americans are still treated unfairly in this country, that [African Americans] are still subject to oppression. They think that there is a level playing field.”

For those who believe that black people are already equal with white people, any policy that seeks to address anti-black discrimination looks like an attempt to give blacks an advantage over whites. Many Americans, particularly Republicans, believe that today there is more discrimination against white people than against black people.

Because so many Americans are not grounded in the reality of American racism, the call for a “conversation on race” is a bad idea. We need Americans to go on fact-finding missions on racism, not try to engage in conversation when there is no agreement on the basic facts.

We have to be aware that because we are a segregated society, many white people learn about black people from the media. Some white people see prominent, highly successful black people in movies and on television and assume that those individuals are indicative of the economic standing of African Americans. Also, there is right-wing media that consciously tries to mislead white Americans about racism and to foster a sense of white victimization. We have to find ways to penetrate Americans’ information bubbles.

Another challenge is the fact that it is high-income white people who are most inaccurate about how much more needs to be done to address racism. High-income white people are the most politically powerful segment of America because politicians tend to rely on them to finance their political campaigns. They have disproportionate influence over what is and is not seen as a legitimate political issue. This is another reason why we need to reduce the influence of money in politics, and to foster more non-rich, multi-racial engagement in the political process.

The first step in solving a problem is admitting that you have one. Only when more Americans face up to the reality of racism in American life will be able to make progress against racism in American life.

Why no progress? I dunno. Maybe too many racists like you who seem to make it the focal point of their existence for starters.

Probably because people are bored of "racism". We're all looking for the next big controversy.

Bored of racism. Only someone white can say that. A prime example of white privilege.

It's true though. Why should people like me give a shit? There is no incentive to. Especially when giving a shit means having to deal with people like you. Not worth the hassle, really.

Actually it's not even close to true junior. And so what you are saying is that you want to continue getting racial preferences. My son is 30 years old. You don't know enough to try me young boy. You're dumb John. Truly you have much to learn.

If I'm getting racial preference, why WOULDN'T I want that to continue? What's my incentive for changing? Something guys like you have never been able to figure out; people don't change for no reason. People generally are driven by SELF-INTEREST. Make the case for self-interest. Only then will you see change.

Of course, you aren't interested in that; you just like calling strangers names online.

Try telling me something I don't know just time please. You are the one telling us that whites are selfish bastards who complain about racial preferences so they can get to keep theirs. That whites benefit from keeping racism alive. If I say that whites like you call me a racist. So you say it for me. Keep talking junior.

Try telling me something I don't know just time please. You are the one telling us that whites are selfish bastards who complain about racial preferences so they can get to keep theirs. That whites benefit from keeping racism alive. If I say that whites like you call me a racist. So you say it for me. Keep talking junior.

That's not what I said at all, actually.

I said that people, ALL PEOPLE, are driven by self-interest. That includes white and black people. I don't see a ton of black people out there fighting to get rid of affirmative action and diversity initiatives, do you? Why would you want to get rid of something that benefits you? There is only 1 reason; a new alternative is presented that benefits you more.

Of course, you aren't interested in that; you just like calling strangers names online
indeed he does.....and backs off when pressured about something.....

A perfect reflection of the problem.

Posted by Algernon Austin on September 21, 2017

“At this point, the whole race thing is over . . . it doesn’t matter anymore. We’ve transcended it. Now we have a black president, so clearly we are not racist,” stated one young woman after the first election of Barack Obama as president of the United States. In the euphoria of Obama’s first election, many Americans—on the left, right, and center—agreed that America had become post-racial. Today, many on the left recognize that America is still struggling with racism. But what liberals may not fully appreciate is the degree to which the rest of America is still deep within a post-racial haze.

New research from social psychologists at Yale and Northwestern Universities reveals that Americans—especially rich, white Americans—greatly overestimate how much racial progress we have made toward economic equality. Averaging across 5 economic measures, the researchers find that Americans estimate that we have made about 25 percent more progress toward black-white economic equality than we actually have made.

Worse still, Americans are most inaccurate on the most important economic measure—wealth. Scholars have come to recognize that wealth—the value of assets minus debts—is the most important measure of a family’s overall economic well-being. The social psychologists find that Americans overestimate our progress toward black-white wealth equality by about 80 percent. Today, for every dollar of wealth that whites have, blacks have only a few cents.

This view that black people are economically equal with white people or are rapidly approaching equality is part of what is animating conflicts over racism today. For example, the journalist Jesse Washington reports, “a lot of the people who are upset with the [NFL] flag protests do not believe that African-Americans are still treated unfairly in this country, that [African Americans] are still subject to oppression. They think that there is a level playing field.”

For those who believe that black people are already equal with white people, any policy that seeks to address anti-black discrimination looks like an attempt to give blacks an advantage over whites. Many Americans, particularly Republicans, believe that today there is more discrimination against white people than against black people.

Because so many Americans are not grounded in the reality of American racism, the call for a “conversation on race” is a bad idea. We need Americans to go on fact-finding missions on racism, not try to engage in conversation when there is no agreement on the basic facts.

We have to be aware that because we are a segregated society, many white people learn about black people from the media. Some white people see prominent, highly successful black people in movies and on television and assume that those individuals are indicative of the economic standing of African Americans. Also, there is right-wing media that consciously tries to mislead white Americans about racism and to foster a sense of white victimization. We have to find ways to penetrate Americans’ information bubbles.

Another challenge is the fact that it is high-income white people who are most inaccurate about how much more needs to be done to address racism. High-income white people are the most politically powerful segment of America because politicians tend to rely on them to finance their political campaigns. They have disproportionate influence over what is and is not seen as a legitimate political issue. This is another reason why we need to reduce the influence of money in politics, and to foster more non-rich, multi-racial engagement in the political process.

The first step in solving a problem is admitting that you have one. Only when more Americans face up to the reality of racism in American life will be able to make progress against racism in American life.

Why no progress? I dunno. Maybe too many racists like you who seem to make it the focal point of their existence for starters.

No, it's because idiots like you want to call people racists for pointing out how racism still continues. For you and others like you to keep repeating this thinking it is a valid point of view shows that you are mentally disabled. Because it's a piss poor attempt at gaslighting.

I said that people, ALL PEOPLE, are driven by self-interest. That includes white and black people. I don't see a ton of black people out there fighting to get rid of affirmative action and diversity initiatives, do you? Why would you want to get rid of something that benefits you? There is only 1 reason; a new alternative is presented that benefits you more.

I know what you said but you are referring to whites here and why they would have no interest in ending racial preferences. Because that's what my statement was about. Nice try junior.

AA and diversity programs benefit you as much as me. It's one thing to support programs that give everybody a chance instead of a situation whereby whites have been given racial preferences since this nation started. If there Is evidence racism is done, i'm fine with ending AA and diversity initiatives, but you want to hang on to white racial preferences no matter what because it's in your self interest.

Of course, you aren't interested in that; you just like calling strangers names online

And exactly what have I been pressured about?

you called me shit you could not back up and i asked you what you thought about what waters said about Obama and instead of answering you "claimed" i said racial shit about her......instead of clarifying the bullshit you said, you just went on like it never happened....most men would either clarify what they meant or apologize.....but you are unable to do either one.........

I know what you said but you are referring to whites here and why they would have no interest in ending racial preferences. Because that's what my statement was about. Nice try junior.

AA and diversity programs benefit you as much as me. It's one thing to support programs that give everybody a chance instead of a situation whereby whites have been given racial preferences since this nation started. If there Is evidence racism is done, i'm fine with ending AA and diversity initiatives, but you want to hang on to white racial preferences no matter what because it's in your self interest.

First of all, nothing changes because people like you shove 100% of blame onto white people. Which isn't realistic and lets blacks off the hook for examining what they can do to improve their position (both as individuals and as communities, though I'm not fond of the term "black community" since it promotes segregation).

And second, white people are not "hanging on" to anything. Are they doing everything possible to eliminate racism? No. But that's not the same thing as "hanging on". Most people aren't going to jump up and start fighting the good fight out of the goodness of their hearts. They need a better reason than that to care.

you called me shit you could not back up and i asked you what you thought about what waters said about Obama and instead of answering you "claimed" i said racial shit about her......instead of clarifying the bullshit you said, you just went on like it never happened....most men would either clarify what they meant or apologize.....but you are unable to do either one.........

I can back it up. I did not say you said anything racial about Watters, I did say your bringing her up was a show of your racism. And it is. Maxine Watters has been out there for years and suddenly everybody white wants bring her up in conversations. Maxine Watters is not the only black in congress so why is it important to post her comments up and ask something? I answered that question. I could care less what Watters said. I said what I SAID and I SAID that if Obama had tried to do things only for blacks those like you would have cried racist to high heaven, because you would have. And one of you nuts would have tried killing Obama. Now that's what I SAID

A man admits the fact that white racism continues and it is the problem. You can do neither or will you.

And talking about calling someone things you can't back, you called me a wannabe black and I damn sure know you can't back that up. So do what you guys do, talk shit because you know others will gang up with you.

Last edited:

First of all, nothing changes because people like you shove 100% of blame onto white people. Which isn't realistic and lets blacks off the hook for examining what they can do to improve their position (both as individuals and as communities, though I'm not fond of the term "black community" since it promotes segregation).

And second, white people are not "hanging on" to anything. Are they doing everything possible to eliminate racism? No. But that's not the same thing as "hanging on". Most people aren't going to jump up and start fighting the good fight out of the goodness of their hearts. They need a better reason than that to care.

Learn legislative and legal decisions since 1776 then come back and talk junior. I know what blacks have done because I seen the work in the black community longer than your ass has been alive. And the black community means places where blacks live. That means mixed raced neighborhoods, small majority white towns, all of that. Only to the extremely stupid should this imply segregation. So you have no standing in this debate IMO. You are best positioned to be asking questions so you can learn. Yes, whites hang on to racism. That's why they oppose equal opportunity policies and have lied about them consistently since the first day they were implemented. If they don't care they would not do that. Even worse is the fact there are whites so delusional they have raised a generation of delusional children who turned adult like you, now trying argue about how whites aren't 100 percent responsible for the outcome of a system whites created.

I can back it up. I did not say you said anything racial about Watters, I did say your bringing her up was a show of your racism. And it is. Maxine Watters has been out there for years and suddenly everybody white wants bring her up in conversations. Maxine Watters is not the only black in congress so why is it important to post her comments up and ask something? I answered that question. I could care less what Watters said. I said what I SAID and I SAID that if Obama had tried to do things only for blacks those like you would have cried racist to high heaven, because you would have. And one of you nuts would have tried killing Obama. Now that's what I SAID

A man admits he fact that white racism continues and it is the problem. You can do neither or will you.

And talking abut calling someone things you cant back, you called me a wannabe black and I damn sure know you can't back that up. So do what you guys do, talk shit because you know others will gang up with you.
I did not say you said anything racial about Watters,
sure you did....you said my comments about waters showed me being a racist.....i asked you what comments and you said my bringing up what she said about Obama was racist....so it was her comments not mine....
Maxine Watters has been out there for years and suddenly everybody white wants bring her up in conversations
apparently you dont know much about her,you cant even spell her name right.....and i have known about her for many years,i lived 30 miles from her district.....
is not the only black in congress,so why is it important to post her comments up and ask something?
just guessing here,but since she said Obama did not do much for black people and i was answering what someone said in the beginning of this thread....maybe thats why i brought her up....
and I SAID that if Obama had tried to do things only for blacks those like you would have cried racist to high heaven, because you would have
something else you cant prove.....but then phonies like you are like that....say things about people you cant prove....i have 60,000 posts here it should be easy for to come up with a post of mine saying something derogatory about the guy...the worst i have ever said about him was he was a half-assed leader....never anything racial....
And one of you nuts would have tried killing Obama.
well i guess i must be another kind of nut,because i have given Obama credit for some of the things he has attempted to do....yet another false statement by you....
A man admits he fact that white racism continues and it is the problem. You can do neither or will you.
well if that man is me,then once again you fucked up....i have said many a time in this forum that far righties are 1/2 the problem in this country when it comes down to racism or violence and non-acceptance of those who look different or have different views....
you called me a wannabe black and I damn sure know you can't back that up.
and you cant prove i am what you said i am.....but i do know one thing about you....you are a chump...

And talking abut calling someone things you cant back, you called me a wannabe black and I damn sure know you can't back that up. So do what you guys do, talk shit because you know others will gang up with you.
sure you did....you said my comments about waters showed me being a racist.....i asked you what comments and you said my bringing up what she said about Obama was racist....so it was her comments not mine....
Maxine Watters has been out there for years and suddenly everybody white wants bring her up in conversations
apparently you dont know much about her,you cant even spell her name right.....and i have known about her for many years,i lived 30 miles from her district.....
is not the only black in congress,so why is it important to post her comments up and ask something?
just guessing here,but since she said Obama did not do much for black people and i was answering what someone said in the beginning of this thread....maybe thats why i brought her up....
and I SAID that if Obama had tried to do things only for blacks those like you would have cried racist to high heaven, because you would have
something else you cant prove.....but then phonies like you are like that....say things about people you cant prove....i have 60,000 posts here it should be easy for to come up with a post of mine saying something derogatory about the guy...the worst i have ever said about him was he was a half-assed leader....never anything racial....
well i guess i must be another kind of nut,because i have given Obama credit for some of the things he has attempted to do....yet another false statement by you....
well if that man is me,then once again you fucked up....i have said many a time in this forum that far righties are 1/2 the problem in this country when it comes down to racism or violence and non-acceptance of those who look different or have different views....
and you cant prove i am what you said i am.....but i do know one thing about you....you are a chump...

Your comments by Watters were said for exactly what reason?

You conflate a lot of shit. I said those like you, because those like you would have acted as I stated if Obama had even tried ding something specifically for blacks. Why even mention what Obama did or did not do? Obama is not the president. Trump hasn't done anything but allow more racism but you don't seem able to mention hat.

I said white racism is the problem, your opinion about half the problem is not admitting to the problem. You argue the white argument and when you get called white you want to talk about how I can't prove what you are. That's what chumps do.

Learn legislative and legal decisions since 1776 then come back and talk junior. I know what blacks have done because I seen the work in the black community longer than your ass has been alive. And the black community means places where blacks live. That means mixed raced neighborhoods, small majority white towns, all of that. Only to the extremely stupid should this imply segregation. So you have no standing in this debate IMO. You are best positioned to be asking questions so you can learn. Yes, whites hang on to racism. That's why they oppose equal opportunity policies and have lied about them consistently since the first day they were implemented. If they don't care they would not do that. Even worse is the fact there are whites so delusional they have raised a generation of delusional children who turned adult like you, now trying argue about how whites aren't 100 percent responsible for the outcome of a system whites created.

Good luck with your victimhood parade then. I'm sure it will take you places!

Meanwhile, white people will continue to look at you as a whiner and give 0 fucks about anything you have to say. The only reason to respond to you at all is for a laugh at this point.

I don't think you have anything constructive to add to the conversation. You're dead weight, IM2. A hindrance to your own aims.

Last edited:

Your comments by Watters were said for exactly what reason?

You conflate a lot of shit. I said those like you, because those like you would have acted as I stated if Obama had even tried ding something specifically for blacks. Why even mention what Obama did or did not do? Obama is not the president. Trump hasn't done anything but allow more racism but you don't seem able to mention hat.

I said white racism is the problem, your opinion about half the problem is not admitting to the problem. You argue the white argument and when you get called white you want to talk about how I can't prove what you are. That's what chumps do.
geezus you are one dumb ass....go back and read why i mentioned waters...and talk about conflating shit,you are the king of that,you cant even prove i am the racist you claim i am,but yet you say i am one....and as far as trump goes when you start reading what i have posted about the guy you might know what i think of the jerk....and i argue the white argument?...you mean by saying what waters said about Obama and how much he did not do for black people?...i guess she must have been doing the same thing....and a chump is a foolish or easily deceived person.....kinda like you and the way you characterize people you dont even know.....and when i said the far right assholes are half the problem,the other half is the far lefties like you....

Good luck with your victimhood parade then. I'm sure it will take you places!

Meanwhile, white people will continue to look at you as a whiner and give 0 fucks about anything you have to say. The only reason to respond to you at all is for a laugh at this point.

I don't think you have anything constructive to add to the conversation. You're dead weight, IM2. A hindrance to your own aims.

During my career this so called victimhood parade has taken me to places where we changed policies. It's got me asked to work with a living wage campaign. It's got me to co-chair a state planning committee to design a 5 year state plan on a health issue affecting the black community. It's got me to work as part of an affordable housing strategy. It's got me working to change police procedures here to reduce or end harassment of blacks by police. Looks like I've added plenty to the conversation. Seems like the whites who asked me to be part of these things gave a fuck. Apparently I haven't hindered my own aims. You're a child with no knowledge and a dumb, immature, and delusional outlook on matters of race. You're a joke.

Forum List

Back