Why try to balance the budget?

Now there is nothing that says (except for Ed) that government spending is necessarily more wasteful (or efficient) than private spending.

100% stupid and perfectly liberal of course. In the private sector if you invest badly they take away your home and you move into a trailer park.

In govt if you invest badly you get a promotion! One cant imagine how stupid you have to be not to know that.

Do you know who takes care of a home better if the choice is owner or renter? See why we say liberalism is based in pure ignorance?

I'm not being snide here. This is what mathematical economics is. It has about the same level of complexity as genetic engineering. I am totally lost in discussing evolutionary biology because I have no background in genetics. I do have an education in mathematical economics. Back in the day, the federal government paid good money to have me work on the model of the Soviet economy for which I am immensely grateful both for the cash support and for the lifetime supply of samizdat humor I acquired. You would be amazed at how they made a bus under Gosplan, and why they "recycled" precision ball bearings for the military aviation industry.

I could be wrong, be it seems to me all you are being is snide. I have statistics education. I use R daily. My graduate research paper in quantitative methods was on gender discrimination in Russia. I know about GOSPLAN and perestroika. That information along with everything you said above has absolutely nothing to do with this thread unless you intention is to be "derogatory or mocking in an indirect way."

Next time start a thread called "Look at me and let me tell you how smart I think I am."

Sorry you took it that way. I'll try to bear this exchange in mind when replying to you in the future and answer you in a less abrasive way.

Was FDR the last president that actually took steps to balance the budget?

OMG!! A liberal will always be 100% stupid. Sorry, but no other conclusion is possible. Republicans have introduced 30 Balanced Budget Amendments to make deficits illegal and liberals have killed every one. You have learned this and forgot it 100 times. What does this say about the liberal IQ?

OMG!! A liberal will always be 100% stupid. Sorry, but no other conclusion is possible. Republicans have introduced 30 Balanced Budget Amendments to make deficits illegal and liberals have killed every one. You have learned this and forgot it 100 times. What does this say about the liberal IQ?

maybe regent should write it down so he won't forget it again?

So have any of thirty amendments passed, or was it all just the usual Republican showmanship?

So have any of thirty amendments passed, or was it all just the usual Republican showmanship?

too100% stupid and liberal. it would be law today and the national debt would be $0 if Democrats had not killed all 30 Amendments with their showmanship!!

too100% stupid and liberal. it would be law today and the national debt would be $0 if Democrats had not killed all 30 Amendments with their showmanship!!
So thirty failures and nothing has dawned on the Republicans yet.

Another thread brought up this point, but I didn't want to hijack it. My question is serious, what reasoning is behind the campaigns for a balanced budget?

I generally agree with your point about constructing a government balance sheet.

Government spending should be looked at as part investment and part consumption. In theory, the investment side could run a deficit forever. The consumption side should be balanced over a cycle. Net-net, this would mean the government could run a deficit forever.

What matters most is the ratio of debt to GDP, or whatever ratio one wishes to use. We can't run deficits without limits forever. Eventually, reckless deficit spending will create inflation that will destroy the economy. However, given that the government invests across many different areas, borrowing within reason is a perfectly acceptable form of financing. Companies do the same thing.

Whether government will invest wisely, however, is another issue altogether.

Companies do the same thing.

now thats really stupid given that companies pay the ultimate price for investing badly while govt does not, it just prints money or raises taxes.

Can you guess which is likely to invest better??

Forum List

Back