Why The NFL Is Destined To Fail

Edgetho

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2012
Referees.

Too many rules.

Ill-defined rules.

Bad calls.

There is only one universally despised group in the NFL -- The Referees.

No matter who you cheer for, no matter your team the people you fear and hate the most are The Referees.

That simple.

And what has Goodell done? Goodell has turned the entire game over to the most despised people on the field.

Not the Running Back breaking his back trying to gain yards.

Not the Wide Receiver blowing his guts out running down the field trying to catch a football.

Not the Star QB standing in the pocket with nerves of steel ready to get blasted by a 300lb D-Lineman with a bad attitude.

Not even the evil genius on the sidelines calling in plays that will befuddle the defense or confuse the QB.

Nope, Goodell, in his infinite stupidity has turned the game over to the most despised people on the Field.

Now...... I'm not talking about mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody.

Everybody makes a bad call now and then. Everybody.

I'm talking Goodell designeing and promoting a system that requires Referees to be PROACTIVE in calling stupid penalties for 'hitting a defenseless receiver'.

I mean, how ignorant is that? Don't want your precious Receiver to get hit? Don't run the fucking play across the middle into Indian Country.

That's the common sense approach.

But nope, Goodell has to respond to the lace-panty crowd (who couldn't give a shit less about football) by enacting an enforcing stupid rules.

Like the rules designed to enhance the Passing Game.

All of them.

Why doesn't the NFL just merge with the Arena Football League and get it over with?

Because that's what they've become.

And you people that think the NFL isn't as crooked as crooked can be?

You're delusional. Absolutely delusional.

At least, with all the controversial calls, you can't blame someone for thinking that.

Look at this play and tell me where you see Pass Interference.... (scroll down a little bit)

Patriots benefit from controversial call in last-minute victory over Browns | For The Win

And people, this wasn't a call made in the first half or with plenty of time to go, this was THE pivotal call in the game.

No way, no how can an Official throw a flag for this unless he's either highly biased or paid off.

No way.

Do I care? Not really.

With Gronk out, the Patriots are going to be one and done anyway. The first team they meet in the playoffs will eliminate them.

And the Browns? No way they were going to make the playoffs this year. Just means they draft higher in the 1st round.

I'm just telling you that it takes the joy out of watching the game.

The players are out there killing themselves and fat old men steal the game from them.

Fuck the NFL and especially FUCK Roger Goodell. THE worst NFL Commissioner ever

"According to Nielsen, the 2012 NFL regular season was watched by 200 million individuals, accounting for 80% of all television households in the United States and 69% of all potential viewers in the United States. NFL regular season games accounted for 31 out of the top 32 most-watched programs in the fall season and an NFL game ranked as the most-watched television show in all 17 weeks of the regular season. At the local level, NFL games were the highest-ranked shows in NFL markets 92% of the time.[64] Super Bowls account for the 22 most-watched programs (based on total audience) in US history, including a record 164.1 million people that watched Super Bowl XLVII, the conclusion to the 2012 season."

from: National Football League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With ratings like that your claim that it is "destined to fail" doesn't seem to be accurate.

Yes, people will bitch & moan about the refs. But the NFL is a money making machine with some of the highest tv ratings in history.

It isn't showing any signs of failing.

"According to Nielsen, the 2012 NFL regular season was watched by 200 million individuals, accounting for 80% of all television households in the United States and 69% of all potential viewers in the United States. NFL regular season games accounted for 31 out of the top 32 most-watched programs in the fall season and an NFL game ranked as the most-watched television show in all 17 weeks of the regular season. At the local level, NFL games were the highest-ranked shows in NFL markets 92% of the time.[64] Super Bowls account for the 22 most-watched programs (based on total audience) in US history, including a record 164.1 million people that watched Super Bowl XLVII, the conclusion to the 2012 season."

from: National Football League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With ratings like that your claim that it is "destined to fail" doesn't seem to be accurate.

Yes, people will bitch & moan about the refs. But the NFL is a money making machine with some of the highest tv ratings in history.

It isn't showing any signs of failing.

It took Rome 400 years to fall.

It might take the NFL 10 or even 20, but with the crap that's going on now, people WILL lose interest.

The biggest boost to the NFL viewership right now is 'Fantasy Football'.

Think those idiots go to the games?

Did you look at the Stadiums yesterday? Mostly empty.

NFL attendance isn't just down, it's falling off a cliff. Fantasy footballers is no way to build a following. Those people aren't serious about the sport of Football, they're gamers, not football fans.

The next fad will take all of them away from the NFL and then what?

Fail.

And spare me the platitudes about ticket prices, et al.

Got nothing to do with it. People who love football love the sport, the whole sport.

I have for many years. Not so much any more. And Roger Goodell is the reason why.

These new rules, this 'softening of the sport, this inserting of referees into the sport are going to kill it.

It is now more important what calls the referees make than it is what plays the teams on the field make.

Referees control the game, not the players and coaches.

That is a bad combination.

And I suspect that when the NFL does fail (it will) that you'll be pulled along with the rest of the crowd into whatever it is that as them all enchanted for the moment.

The NFL needs to get rid of Roger Goodell. The sooner, the better

I do agree Goodell needs to go. He's ruining the game and has implemented a lot of stupid, childish rules. I have a few friends who were always die hard football fans who have become more interested in the MLS now and less in the NFL.

I do agree Goodell needs to go. He's ruining the game and has implemented a lot of stupid, childish rules. I have a few friends who were always die hard football fans who have become more interested in the MLS now and less in the NFL.

It isn't just my favorite team that gets bad calls. Look at the Pats and that inexplicable call when they played the Panthers. Terrible. Just absolutely terrible.

If the flag was picked up, it shouldn't have been thrown. But the point is, Goodell has the Referees throwing flags on a mere suspicion of wrong-doing.

Well, if it's a no-no in League Headquarters. Offensive Pass Interference (where Michael Irvin made his living. If the rules were enforced, he would even have been able to play the game) is still hardly ever called.

A 6'4" Receiver can man-handle, push, pull, tug and toss a 5'9" Corner with no ramifications but let that Corner pass gas in his general direction and it's flag time.

You can't hit a receiver high so what do you do? You cripple him like they did to Gronk yesterday. How fucking brilliant is that?

You can't hit a QB high. And you can't hit him low. You can't lead with your head and you can't hit him with any part of your body anywhere near his head or neck.

Who was that 49ers L-Ber that got fined for a hit that nobody in their right mind would call illegal or vicious? Absolutely terrible call and an ever worse decision at the League level. Terrible.

And I don't even like the Niners. At all.

What Goodell is doing is the worst thing you can do to a customer.... He's confusing us. All of us.

We know longer understand the rules and the more we do understand the rules, the less we like them.

Goodell has to go

Reaction To Brooks' Hit On Brees - ESPN Video - ESPN

And I REALLY don't like stabbinkillaman

Forum List

Back