Why the Need for "Safe Zones" at Universities?

Cisco and the Gap don't have safe zones.
Keep trying.
Actually they do. Keep denying.
Link away.
I dont need a link. I've done work for both companies.
The restroom is not a safe zone.
Who made that claim? I need a link.
You need a link.
Not a company in America with a safe zone.
Leftardism just breeds Pansy's.

So there is no such thing as a safe zone outside of the home and lefard land.
Got it.

Bunch of pansy pussies.
No dummy. You were just complaining about safe zones in college. I know you are against education but lots of people go to college not just lefties.

Very true, but, as you well know and love, the faculty and administration ARE Progressives.
I guess you never made it to a university of any stripe but you are good at repeating the GOP mantra that you were ordered to repeat.

The 20 Best Conservative Colleges in America | The Best Schools

You just cannot make these things up!

What is your point? That, not ALL universities are progressive propagandists? TWO of the schools you were able to find, even though no one has ever heard of most, have a student population of more than 10,000 students. Two, don't even claim how many students they have and ONE claims a student population of 100.

Shouldn't the REAL situation be that there are tens of thousands of universities and colleges which cannot be identified as either Progressive or Conservative, their faculty is evenly divided as is the administration?
My point has never changed. You claimed that university faculties were progressive. I just shot your opinion to hell and now you are so embarrassed you forgot my point.
99% of all universities are run by Leftards.

Actually they do. Keep denying.
Link away.
You need a link.
I already told you I dont need a link for something I have seen with my own eyes.

No dummy. You were just complaining about safe zones in college. I know you are against education but lots of people go to college not just lefties.

Very true, but, as you well know and love, the faculty and administration ARE Progressives.
I guess you never made it to a university of any stripe but you are good at repeating the GOP mantra that you were ordered to repeat.

What is your point? That, not ALL universities are progressive propagandists? TWO of the schools you were able to find, even though no one has ever heard of most, have a student population of more than 10,000 students. Two, don't even claim how many students they have and ONE claims a student population of 100.

Shouldn't the REAL situation be that there are tens of thousands of universities and colleges which cannot be identified as either Progressive or Conservative, their faculty is evenly divided as is the administration?
My point has never changed. You claimed that university faculties were progressive. I just shot your opinion to hell and now you are so embarrassed you forgot my point.
Now I understand why you never bothered graduating from high school.

Link away.
You need a link.
I already told you I dont need a link for something I have seen with my own eyes.
Nice spin from the one claiming American companies have safe zones.

Now I understand why you never bothered graduating from high school.
Education snob too.

Just another way people seek attention. U would think a safe zone would b kept amongst those who choose to particpate rather than announce it to everyone.

Which of those have you done?
Thats considered need to know information.
So nothing, then. You're conceding my point. You don't have to be able to remove something in order to express an opinion about it.
Actually I just disproved your point. You claimed there was nothing I could do about it and I proved you wrong....again.
You proved my point, which is that you don't have to be able to do anything about something to express an opinion about it. Now, as for police brutality, what exactly have you accomplished (beyond the glaringly obvious nothing that you've actually done, that is) if you've killed a cop? You've turned him into a martyr, turned the entire police force against you, and put yourself away for a very long time, if not a short stay followed by the termination of your life. At the end of it all, you've created a heroic officer cut down in the line of duty by a violent thug, your family is shamed, and you are either dead or out of sight and out of mind. Wow, way to end police brutality.
Do you always claim you made a point even though its been beat like an African drum?
Just to be clear, my point is that you can have and express an opinion on a subject whether you are able to do anything about it or not. You are living proof of that, because you express an opinion on police brutality, yet have done nothing to stop it.

Now, what exactly do you disagree with about that?

Examples, please. Give evidence that state run universities in America are setting up safe zones for Christian students where they don't have to hear offensive things.
What do you want a link to? Bible studies? Christian clubs?

Maybe it would be easier for you to provide a link where a college has banned Christianity.

:rolleyes:
Give evidence that a state run university is setting up safe zones for Christian students where they don't have to hear things they don't like. Private Bible studies and clubs not sponsored by or affiliated with the university don't count.

Colleges provide safe spaces for Christian clubs and Bible studies. Google any college and "Bible study" and their website will provide you with details of when they hold Bible studies. If you want, go to the next meeting and start yelling anti-Christian rants and see what happens. I would bet that you will be removed. Because your are acting like a fool in a "safe space."
Yelling and ranting will get you removed from any public space. That has nothing to do with safe spaces. So, what exactly is being studied in the safe zones anyway, or are they NOT study areas?
It would really help this conversation move along if you had any idea what a "safe space" is.
Okay, define it. I do not believe a space set aside for a group to study something is a safe zone. It that is true, every class room on campus is a safe zone, and we know it is not, because conservative students regularly hear offensive things in those class rooms.

Democrat "safe zones" build racial tension just like the old Jim Crow democrat days of Segregation just like the white/black bathrooms.

Its PC based racism and nothing more.
Wrong.

It’s a ridiculous non-issue contrived by the right, an effort by conser.vatives to create a ‘controversy’ where none exists for some perceived partisan gain.

Since it is a FACT that these childish "safe zones" exist so how can you say that is a "non-issue". I mean without lying.
How are these safe zones impacting your life or hurting you?
A state university encouraging white rappers wouldn't hurt you either, yet you would complain about it because, well, stealing music and stuff. Universities have for some time now been pushing the limits on restricting free speech and this is just one more example. When speech is censored, we all lose.

Truly absurd!!!

The Coddling of the American Mind

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.

something strange is happening at America’s colleges and universities. A movement is arising, undirected and driven largely by students, to scrub campuses clean of words, ideas, and subjects that might cause discomfort or give offense. Last December, Jeannie Suk wrote in an online article for The New Yorkerabout law students asking her fellow professors at Harvard not to teach rape law—or, in one case, even use the word violate (as in “that violates the law”) lest it cause students distress. In February, Laura Kipnis, a professor at Northwestern University, wrote an essay in The Chronicle of Higher Education describing a new campus politics of sexual paranoia—and was then subjected to a long investigation after students who were offended by the article and by a tweet she’d sent filed Title IX complaints against her. In June, a professor protecting himself with a pseudonym wrote an essay for Vox describing how gingerly he now has to teach. “I’m a Liberal Professor, and My Liberal Students Terrify Me,” the headline said. A number of popular comedians, including Chris Rock, have stopped performing on college campuses (see Caitlin Flanagan’s article in this month’s issue). Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Maher have publicly condemned the oversensitivity of college students, saying too many of them can’t take a joke.

Two terms have risen quickly from obscurity into common campus parlance. Microaggressions are small actions or word choices that seem on their face to have no malicious intent but that are thought of as a kind of violence nonetheless. For example, by some campus guidelines, it is a microaggression to ask an Asian American or Latino American “Where were you born?,” because this implies that he or she is not a real American. Trigger warnings are alerts that professors are expected to issue if something in a course might cause a strong emotional response. For example, some students have called for warnings that Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart describes racial violence and that F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby portrays misogyny and physical abuse, so that students who have been previously victimized by racism or domestic violence can choose to avoid these works, which they believe might “trigger” a recurrence of past trauma.

Some recent campus actions border on the surreal. In April, at Brandeis University, the Asian American student association sought to raise awareness of microaggressions against Asians through an installation on the steps of an academic hall. The installation gave examples of microaggressions such as “Aren’t you supposed to be good at math?” and “I’m colorblind! I don’t see race.” But a backlash arose among other Asian American students, who felt that the display itself was a microaggression. The association removed the installation, and its president wrote an e-mail to the entire student body apologizing to anyone who was “triggered or hurt by the content of the microaggressions...

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus

image.png

Good grief!

Columbia students claim Greek mythology needs a trigger warning

imrs.php

The Rape of Proserpina, 1636-1638. Artist: Rubens, Pieter Paul (1577-1640) (Photo by Fine Art Images/Heritage Images/Getty Images)
“Not far from the walls of Enna, there is a deep pool,” begins Ovid’s version of the rape of Persephone. “While [Persephone] was playing in this glade, and gathering violets or radiant lilies, while with girlish fondness she filled the folds of her gown, and her basket, trying to outdo her companions in her picking, [Pluto], almost in a moment, saw her, prized her, took her: so swift as this, is love.”

The Greek myth has been recounted for thousands of years in hundreds of languages, scores of countries and countless works of art. It’s considered a cultural touchstone for Western civilization: a parable about power, lust and grief.

Now, however, it could be getting a treatment it’s never had before: a trigger warning.

In an op-ed in the student newspaper, four Columbia University undergrads have called on the school to implement trigger warnings — alerts about potentially distressing material — even for classics like Greek mythology or Roman poetry.

“Ovid’s ‘Metamorphoses’ is a fixture of Lit Hum, but like so many texts in the Western canon, it contains triggering and offensive material that marginalizes student identities in the classroom,” wrote the four students, who are members of Columbia’s Multicultural Affairs Advisory Board. “These texts, wrought with histories and narratives of exclusion and oppression, can be difficult to read and discuss as a survivor, a person of color, or a student from a low-income background...

Columbia students claim Greek mythology needs a trigger warning

So there is no such thing as a safe zone outside of the home and lefard land.
Got it.

Bunch of pansy pussies.

I am curious as to how you imagine you shot my FACTS to heck. Do you live in denial in general or only on this forum? Are you being facetious or do you really believe the tripe you spread?

Universities' Growing Liberal Bias Is Documented
By ANNIE KARNI, Staff Reporter of the Sun | November 14, 2007

Conservative professors must publish more than their liberal peers to be competitive for the same university jobs and promotions, according to new reports. At a conference sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute today in Washington, D.C., researchers from across the country will present 18 papers that they say document the growing liberal bias in academia.

"Universities are tilting to the left, and it starts at the student level and goes all the way through to the hiring level and even to the promotion level," the vice president and director of the National Research Initiative at AEI, Henry Olsen, said. "This is a real problem, not anecdote masquerading as fact."

Read more: Universities' Growing Liberal Bias Is Documented - The New York Sun

Asclepias proved your post all by himself.

Yet he still enjoys floating on his chaise lounge down the DENIAL River.

RaftingRiver-1.jpg

The GOP obsession with "safe spaces" is ridiculous. Wtf do you care? Don't like a "safe space," then don't GO TO a safe space. Problem solved.
It is segregation moron.

By supporting "safe spaces" the entire American modern left is delegitimized.

The GOP obsession with "safe spaces" is ridiculous. Wtf do you care? Don't like a "safe space," then don't GO TO a safe space. Problem solved.
It is segregation moron.

By supporting "safe spaces" the entire American modern left is delegitimized.
You probably shouldn't call someone a moron if you're planning on saying something that makes you look like a moron.

What is the underlying rationale? It seems that students of all ethnicities are already able to associate in whatever groups they want, so what is the actual need for official "safe zones" where they can exclude other students? Even if it confers a feeling of empowerment on these students, what does it ultimately accomplish within an educational context? Will it improve academic performance, or does it provide an excuse for lack thereof?

I wonder if it is a result of overly aggressive diversity goals in admissions which place less prepared students in competition with better prepared students? This type of mismatch can result in hostility and resentment that fuels a self-defeating belief in one's victimization. Why not let students proceed at their own pace?
Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of male chauvinists, homophobes, whites, and white males.
If you are desperate enough to resort to naming "microaggressions" your problems aren't worse than ANYONE else.

Forum List

Back