Why Soccer Will NEVER Catch On In America

RE #3) I was flipping channels a week or so ago and stopped on a NASCAR race long enough to see if Jeff Gordon was in contention. I think that I saw that they were showing a commercial like "Picture in Picture" while they continued to follow the race. I suppose if advertisers would allow that, then maybe that would help.

Immie
But NASCAR is a commercial in itself! Billboards at 180 mph!

:lol:

Good point!

I used to enjoy it, then they started making the drivers into candy asses. They will not let them race like they did in the days of Richard Petty. They want them to be "nice" drivers. Screw that, if the guy wrecked you last week, he had better be prepared for a little bit of bumping this week!

And then they really screwed it up when they introduced the "Lucky Dog" rule. It has been difficult to watch a single race since then.

And what the hell is with a "Tide" car!

Immie
I never got the appeal of NASCAR. I mean, who played on the varsity race team in high school? Who are we supposed to cheer for? The sponsor? I don't like Lowe's or DuPont enough to invest sports watching time in them. Maybe we are supposed to cheer for the driver? Who knows them well enough?

Anyway, I'm from the Rust Belt, not the old South. I couldn't be more indifferent if NASCAR were Cricket.

I had a project in Birmingham Alabama. My point of contact explained in a fax how to reach his office. I was to get off on the Allison/Bonnet drive. When the first meeting was over I asked "Who was Allison Bonnet?" I pronounced it like the hat b-o-n-n-e-t. I think I lost some esteem with the boys down there at that time. I made it up by bringing in a catfish fry cook at the close of the project to cater a lunch for all involved.

The problem is that they are pussies

They play not to lose instead of playing to win. What you get is a defensive stalemate with nobody wanting to expose themselves. Makes for a boring 3 hours
that, AND all the faking injuries

you are right about the annoying defensive stalemate, and diving is a problem.

but the talk about faking injuries is too much. it may look like faking, but that shit hurts. or can hurt. also, if you run fast, only a slight touch is enough to make you fly. try it. the acting is annoying, but look, if the dutch player robben , who is accused of diving all the time, had not tried to score in the final, but had gone down instead because of the incredibly buffoony foul by puyol, puyol would have gotten the red card, and the dutch a good opp to score. but robben did not fall, failed to score, and the foul by puyol was never called, now it is a clever interference. is anyone still reading this. i bore myself. where is that poodle.
BULLSHIT

i saw those replays, and 90% of the time the guys weren't even touched
they just fell on their own

that, AND all the faking injuries

but the talk about faking injuries is too much. it may look like faking, but that shit hurts. or can hurt. also, if you run fast, only a slight touch is enough to make you fly. try it. the acting is annoying, but look, if the dutch player robben , who is accused of diving all the time, had not tried to score in the final, but had gone down instead because of the incredibly buffoony foul by puyol, puyol would have gotten the red card, and the dutch a good opp to score. but robben did not fall, failed to score, and the foul by puyol was never called, now it is a clever interference. is anyone still reading this. i bore myself. where is that poodle.
BULLSHIT

we'd have to compare notes on specific situations, but right now i can just say that 90% is ridiculously overstated.

BULLSHIT

we'd have to compare notes on specific situations, but right now i can just say that 90% is ridiculously overstated.
nope, i think it was MORE than 90%
but why quibble over another 8 or 9 percent ;)

it got to the point i was saying to myself, "oh look, another guy fell down"

BULLSHIT

yeah i know, you were conditioned by stupid commentators.

the us coach was even goaded into making boneheaded statements against diving.

all nice and shit, but in reality the us team "dives" like all the other teams. there was even blatant shit like getting hit, running into the box, then falling, amateur-style, to get a penalty.

all nice and shit, but in reality the us team "dives" like all the other teams. there was even blatant shit like getting hit, running into the box, then falling, amateur-style, to get a penalty.
i didnt care what team was doing it, it was LAME

They werent LAME...they were faking it

:lol: good point

Wouldn't you consider that lame? I would.

Immie

Wouldn't you consider that lame? I would.

Immie

All part of the game actually. Certainly basketball players feign being knocked down trying to draw a foul. They finally had to pass a rule in football that football players couldn't get an injury time out too close to the end of the game just because of so many faked injuries.

But in lieu of a scoreless soccer match, for real excitement, I opt for chess called by Andres Cantor:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O06Zp3gCT3c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O06Zp3gCT3c[/ame]

Forum List

Back