Why Soccer Will NEVER Catch On In America

very nice. but unfortunately i know very well the year of the manu comeback in the cl final.
it was 1999. :evil:
in 2001 bayern munich finally won the cup vs valencia.

LOL...I knew it was a long time ago and around that time, but couldn't be bothered looking it up. Can't believe it was 11 years ago!!

TRIVIA: Which was the only team to go through the 2010 World Cup unbeaten?

Jimmy Kimmel used basketball to illustrate why soccer seems so pathetic to anyone that enjoys watching the skill of actually scoring goals rather than the luck of sneaking one in every once in awhile. Does the world also like watching Marathons? We know they get excited over bicyclist passing each other.
l]

Manchester United gets 75,000 people to a game every week druing its season. It is impossible to get tickets to a game. That's only ONE team, let alone the rest of the teams in teh EPL, Italian, German or Spanish leagues. That is why Rupert Murdoch pays billions of dollars for the rights to televise the game...

Bastketball has to be next to baseball and NFL as probably the three most boring games on the planet.

Basketball= Dribble, dribble, dribble, score. Next team - dribble, dribble, dribble, score. First team -dribble, dribble, dribble, score. Oh, look the second team lost the ball, so the first team dribble, dribble, dribble scores twice in a row! :cool: How exciting! NOT....:cool:

Last edited:
The land between the Tigress and Euphrates rivers is called the Fertile Crescent-birthplace of civilization.

The area extending from roughly 75 miles east of Pittsburgh to about the same distance to the west, from Youngstown, Ohio southward to Morgantown, West Virginia is the cradle of American football.

I hold a degree from The Ohio State University (arguably one of the finest collegiate football programs on the planet) and live less than an hours drive from Heinz Field.

There is no greater team sport than American football. There is no argument on behalf of any other team sport to displace football from the hearts of folks living here.

Even in the midst of the Lebron James hubbub, lots of us here remained supremely indifferent. Other than to smirk at the 'misfortunes' of Cleveland.

I'm pretty sure if the finals of the World Cup was aired simultaneously with a Steelers pre-season game, the technicians at the station the World Cup was being broadcast from would have the Steelers on in the studio!

In America maybe...but we're discussing the merits of the game as a whole and the world. I never expect football to surpass baseball, NFL or NBA in the US. That is fine. But
1) Don't say NFL is a better sport, it's not.:cool:
2) Don't try and sell us non-Americans your snake oil - we're not buying....:tongue:

Last edited:
very nice. but unfortunately i know very well the year of the manu comeback in the cl final.

LOL...I knew it was a long time ago and around that time, but couldn't be bothered looking it up. Can't believe it was 11 years ago!!

lol, new zealand.

cameroon did the same in 1982. 3 draws and out.

Since the post was addressed to me, I just want to say that I would not have held you to it. I loved my history classes, but I hated having to remember the doggone dates. What the heck difference did it make what year Lincoln was assassinated as long as I knew the era?

Immie

Since the post was addressed to me, I just want to say that I would not have held you to it. I loved my history classes, but I hated having to remember the doggone dates. What the heck difference did it make what year Lincoln was assassinated as long as I knew the era?

Immie
do you remember the name of the theater?
lol

Immie
do you remember the name of the theater?
lol

Absolutely... it was the Bush Theater wasn't it and therefore the libs can blame Bush for the Assassination of President Lincoln too. :lol:

Immie

The Ford Theater and in one of the balconies. Don't ask me which one. I hope someday to visit the theater itself and see a little bit of history.

I just wasted two hours plus watching one of the most boring sporting events it has ever been my displeasure to have to sit through. These guys are supposed to be the best of the best. Doesn't that mean they should be able to score goals? Apparently not.

OK - I try to like soccer. I really do. But I have never been able to get behind it. And, you will note, soccer has never caught on in the U.S. Never. Why is that? It is certainly hugely popular in other countries - clearly the number one sport probably world-wide. So why hasn't it ever caught on here? Glad you ask - I have a theory:

Americans are raised on FOOTBALL. That's FOOTBALL, folks, not "futbal." In American football, one team gets the ball and moves it down the field. Barring such things as interceptions or fumbles, usually when your team gets the ball, they KEEP IT for a while, hopefully, long enough to drive down the field and score either a field goal or a touchdown.

Compare this to soccer. In soccer, the orange team has the ball. The orange team player kicks the ball toward the opposing team's goal. The ball is in the air. At this point, there is a 50-50 chance that, when it comes down, it will still be under the control of the orange team. Now the blue team has the ball. Blue team player kicks the ball high in the air. Now it comes down. Orange team's ball. And so on, and so on, ad nauseum. Back and forth, back and forth, in a seemingly never-ending exchange of possession which rarely results in anything except the aforementioned back and forth, back and forth changes of possession.

Well - much like this boring soccer game recently concluded between Spain and The Netherlands.

And that's why soccer will never catch on in this country. We don't have the patience for it. When our team gets the ball, we want to see them keep if for something longer than two or three seconds.

Hang on, guys - September is just around the corner.

Agree...

Football is the closest game there is to war. The rest of the world does not know what they are missing

Besides.....Soccer is the only game where if the ball hits you in the head, nobody laughs at you

24 million people in the US watched the final

Sunday's World Cup finale drew the biggest-ever U.S. audience for a soccer match, with a total of 24.3 million viewers tuning in to watch Spain eke out a win over the Netherlands.

The figure from Nielsen Co. includes viewership over the two-and-half hour telecast on Walt Disney Co.'s ABC and the Spanish-language broadcast from Univision Communications Inc. Nielsen said the prior U.S. audience record was the 19.4 million viewers who watched the U.S. team lose to Ghana two weeks ago, also on ABC and the Univision network.

Disney said World Cup tournament coverage on its ESPN networks and ABC drew an average of 3.26 million viewers, up from 2.32 million in 2006. Disney also said its coverage of the World Cup tournament was highest ranked in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale market, New York and Washington, DC.

World Cup Final Draws Record U.S. Audience - WSJ.com

Sunday's World Cup finale drew the biggest-ever U.S. audience for a soccer match, with a total of 24.3 million viewers tuning in to watch Spain eke out a win over the Netherlands.

The figure from Nielsen Co. includes viewership over the two-and-half hour telecast on Walt Disney Co.'s ABC and the Spanish-language broadcast from Univision Communications Inc. Nielsen said the prior U.S. audience record was the 19.4 million viewers who watched the U.S. team lose to Ghana two weeks ago, also on ABC and the Univision network.

Disney said World Cup tournament coverage on its ESPN networks and ABC drew an average of 3.26 million viewers, up from 2.32 million in 2006. Disney also said its coverage of the World Cup tournament was highest ranked in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale market, New York and Washington, DC.

A very faddish event....... I have witnessed people that have never given a shit about any sport watch that boring crap just because it was the thing to do....... same type of chameleons that will do whatever they are doing in Europe because they think it might make them seem more intellectual with others as stupid as they are. Why should "the world" give a shit if, we in America, want to watch a bunch of guys in shorts, run back and forth kicking a ball. If people want to watch that shit it's fine with me but they need to quit trying to force it on me.

i watched several games
but i was always doing something else as well

Just goes to prove that a hell of a lot of Americans will take any reason they can find to go to the local sports bar. :lol:

I meant to watch the USA matches but I kept forgetting they were on. I didn't see a single match, but Yahoo, kept me up-to-date with what was happening.

Immie

A very faddish event....... I have witnessed people that have never given a shit about any sport watch that boring crap just because it was the thing to do.......

So what? 100 million people watch the Super Bowl every year. Do you honestly believe that they are all intensely interested and big fans of football? No, of course not. Many of them are women who don't know if the ball is filled with air or feathers, and who accompany their husbands/boyfriends to parties because its an event.

FFS I used to go to MLB games where people would arrive in the 2nd inning and leave in the 5th because they just wanted to be seen and that was the thing to do.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back